Seneca down in KY.....

If only they had left Key West two hours earlier. One reason I do not fly at night unless wx is near perfect, some moon illumination and I will be landing at a familiar airport. If something should go wrong, one has few options.

So sad! Anyone doing a fundraiser for this little girl?

My guess is either fuel or ice. I do remember seeing ice airmets on foreflight down that way.

From what little I've read so far, I don't think Sailor needs money. As stated above, she will need a deep support group.

If only they had left Key West two hours earlier. One reason I do not fly at night unless wx is near perfect, some moon illumination and I will be landing at a familiar airport. If something should go wrong, one has few options.

And that flight is certainly doable during daylight hours. Sad he took that chance and lost.

Last edited:
I'm sicken by this. It's hard to look at the family pictures.

Agree Dave...I think the psychological reason for this is simple...we all see ourselves and our own families in those pictures. They are the symbol...the icon of the all-American-family...and even closer to our hearts...the all-American-flying-family.

Gene

Pretty upset at the media for grabbing pics off their facebook accounts and releasing the name of the girl when the family said they didnt want her identified. :(

Yes. This is so very very sad. She looks a lot like my Grand Daughter. Breaks ones heart for sure.

Tony

Poor kid. There were reports today that she's "emotionally traumatized", and if that made it all the way to the press, she's not a happy camper at all.

Honestly, I don't think we have to worry about Sailor. The fact that this kid crawled out of the wreckage seeing the sights she saw and had the wherewithal to walk through the forest to find help shows a deep character on such a level that I'd be surprised if she doesn't become the next Steve Jobs.

This little girl actually gives me hope. Somebodies doing something right in this country and she's proof. I love the name Sailor too, btw...

Honestly, I don't think we have to worry about Sailor. The fact that this kid crawled out of the wreckage seeing the sights she saw and had the wherewithal to walk through the forest to find help shows a deep character on such a level that I'd be surprised if she doesn't become the next Steve Jobs.

This little girl actually gives me hope. Somebodies doing something right in this country and she's proof. I love the name Sailor too, btw...

Time will tell, but I think you are right with the right kind of upbringing from here on out. For some reason this is her destiny, and I'll bet she will do just fine.

Said pilot was commercial rated with single and multi ratings as well as CFI and CFII with an MEI.

Said pilot was commercial rated with single and multi ratings as well as CFI and CFII with an MEI.

NBC Nightly News made the point he had his pilot's license before his driver's license.

Definitely not inexperienced.

Those long flights home, especially at night and involving weather, always made me nervous. Have to be on the ball, just when you're most likely to be fatigued.

Whole thing is just tragic.

NBC Nightly News made the point he had his pilot's license before his driver's license.

Definitely not inexperienced.

Those long flights home, especially at night and involving weather, always made me nervous. Have to be on the ball, just when you're most likely to be fatigued.

Whole thing is just tragic.

It just never makes sense how these accidents happen to such experienced pilots, but I know it can happen to anyone. Very sad for sure, hate to hear of these things.

So sad! Anyone doing a fundraiser for this little girl?

My guess is either fuel or ice. I do remember seeing ice airmets on foreflight down that way.

They started a fund for the little girl, are we "POA" doing anything? like donating C/O POA? I am going to send something either way.

They started a fund for the little girl, are we "POA" doing anything? like donating C/O POA? I am going to send something either way.

If we send something from POA, I'm in. Just let me know where to send the $. Shoot, let everyone here know, and maybe give a final date.

My wife & I would be proud to be part of an officially sanctioned POA contribution. I realize that sounds a bit cold or mechanical, but that's not my intention. Thinking of our NIMBYs and wonderful media, what's the downside?

On the trip down to the Keys, FB pics show shoulder harnesses either not being worn or put under their arm.

How many of us could wake our family up in the dark to get them prepared for an emergency landing and deal with the emergency at the same time? Glad we have 4-point harnesses that are worn from startup to shutdown, although uncomfortable at times.

My wife & I would be proud to be part of an officially sanctioned POA contribution. I realize that sounds a bit cold or mechanical, but that's not my intention. Thinking of our NIMBYs and wonderful media, what's the downside?

All, the thought is wonderful, but at this point does this girl really need money? I'm thinking that money is the last of her concerns.

All, the thought is wonderful, but at this point does this girl really need money? I'm thinking that money is the last of her concerns.

I would say you are correct.

Let's wait till she 18 so she can use the money on coke n nightclubs.;)

If you want to make a difference and you are in her area...become a mentor and a friend. Your time will be 1000x more than money.

Let's wait till she 18 so she can use the money on coke n nightclubs.;)

If you want to make a difference and you are in her area...become a mentor and a friend. Your time will be 1000x more than money.

Absolutely correct. If the right people get involved, she'll be. Able to cope and overcome.

Maybe you are right and she won't need it... but you may be wrong too. I have made a donation and encourage others to do the same. This could have happened to YOU with one of YOUR children left orphaned.

On behalf of all sensible British people, I apologise for the Daily Mail, thankfully most intelligent minded folk in England don't read such gutter tabloids.

...and yet everyone here enjoyed looking at those photos.

:rolleyes:

British and feel the same way as Big Al.... did notice all three major networks showing pictures of her today so they just a few days late to the same game...decency is no longer part of the news cycle.

British and feel the same way as Big Al.... did notice all three major networks showing pictures of her today so they just a few days late to the same game...decency is no longer part of the news cycle.

Was it ever?

Maybe you are right and she won't need it... but you may be wrong too. I have made a donation and encourage others to do the same. This could have happened to YOU with one of YOUR children left orphaned.

I also made a donation.

Donate if you want, but this kid might likely have a net worth higher than you do at this point with life insurance, family assets, etc., etc.

If my daughter were to be orphaned, she would not need donations.

PTFESean:

Your point has merit. Trauma of this sort and at that age predicts a tortured life, absent the necessary love and therapy. Addiction and a criminal lifestyle are common sequelae in these types of circumstances; examples are legion. Care and guidance from a trusted other go a long way towards creating the safe space needed to resolve the trauma and free her to lead a wonderful life.
Blessings

That's just great. Now this poor girl is going to be a drug addict. I can only hope that if this ever happens to you that your survivors don't have some internet warriors theorizing about how your children are going to end up as drug addicts, prostitutes, etc.

:rolleyes:

So your and PTFESean's plan to offer to become a mentor sounds interesting. How are you going to go about doing that? Please keep us informed about the progress towards that goal.

Donate if you want, but this kid might likely have a net worth higher than you do at this point with life insurance, family assets, etc., etc.

If my daughter were to be orphaned, she would not need donations.

There you go using that "might" word again. Charity is a personal choice you're free to do whatever you want. I just might have a few bucks to spare to send to her just in case you might be wrong about her net worth.

:wink2:

My heart goes out to this little girl and may the family RIP. The thought of this definitely gives me a reason to pause and think. As my oldest daughter is 2 years younger than the girl in the story.

My heart goes out to this little girl and may the family RIP. The thought of this definitely gives me a reason to pause and think. As my oldest daughter is 2 years younger than the girl in the story.

Yes, it is indeed something that deserves some sincere thought. My kids are grown. If they were small, this whole story would certainly make me step back and do some soul searching, and some deeper risk analysis.

Yes, it is indeed something that deserves some sincere thought. My kids are grown. If they were small, this whole story would certainly make me step back and do some soul searching, and some deeper risk analysis.

Geez.....
On the day where 4 were killed in Kentucky. 100 or more were slaughtered on the highways....

What about their kids ????

Last edited:
Geez.....
On the day where 4 were killed in Kentucky. 100 or more were slaughtered on the highways....

What about their kids ????

He's talking risk analysis, and risk analysis takes into account accident/fatality rates, not just sheer numbers. These are important considerations for anyone concerned about how their death would affect others.

There you go using that "might" word again. Charity is a personal choice you're free to do whatever you want. I just might have a few bucks to spare to send to her just in case you might be wrong about her net worth.

:wink2:

Sorry, not trying to tell you what to do. Just making a point. It's your money, your choice who to give it away to.

He's talking risk analysis, and risk analysis takes into account accident/fatality rates, not just sheer numbers. These are important considerations for anyone concerned about how their death would affect others.

Precisely!

Back