Cessna 162 low price?

No problems with the stoke here, either.

One year later, the 162 still checks the "bore holes in the sky economically" box for me as a weekend warrior renter. Not sure I'd want to own one, though. I agree that the seats get uncomfortable after about three hours. I maintain that the G300 is overkill.

In the short term, for the solo/day VFR/hamburger run type mission, I too am finding the Sonex interesting in terms of minimizing cost of acquisition, operation, maintenance, and perhaps most importantly, cost of regulatory compliance.

G-300 is excellent for displaying ADS-B on SVT, the plane is ready for NextGen. That is not overkill, that is market foresight.

Yep, find me another plane with SVT that you can rent for under $100 wet.

I'm really bummed they couldn't get this thing certified. I know from experience **ahem, or so I've heard** that the 162 does just fine over gross. Just don't spin the thing...

I would love it if it showed traffic. SVT has its place, but I haven't found it to add any value for day VFR.

G-300 is excellent for displaying ADS-B on SVT, the plane is ready for NextGen. That is not overkill, that is market foresight.

Yep, find me another plane with SVT that you can rent for under $100 wet.

The 162 I rent doesn't have SVT and goes for $120/hr wet.

Coincidentally, Martha Lunken gives a short (negative) opinion on the SkyCatcher in the December 2014 issue of Flying.

Something I note from hearing others experiences is that the QC on the SkyCatcher must be lacking. The one I rent, at first back in 2011 had very very heavy rudders. I wondered if the cables were binding or something, but the plane was brand new. At some point (and I really don't remember when), the rudders were "normal" and no longer took lots of muscle to move. I take it somebody adjusted the rigging. Martha, in the article I just mentioned, says the Johnson bar takes 2 hands to operate and that the ailerons are heavy. That's not true for the one I fly. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned not having enough elevator authority. I've not noticed that either. I've experienced a few electrical gremlins. I've had the G300 completely go out on me once for close to a minute (blank screen). I've had various instruments blink out on me too. It's had a battery go already too. And a Hobbs time that magically and randomly ticks backward between flights.

Solo (where I can fill the tanks and not worry about useful load) I enjoy the heck out of flying it.

I'm completely baffled by the O-200 choice, it made no sense. An O-235 would have at least made sense even if it would still have been the wrong choice. It should have been built for either the 912 or 914 Rotax.

Cessna and Lycoming are both ultimately owned by Textron. That no doubt influenced their choice of manufacturer.

Cessna and Lycoming are both ultimately owned by Textron. That no doubt influenced their choice of manufacturer.

Like I said, a Lycoming O-235 would have made sense, the Continental O-200 doesn't make sense, except that the Chinese now have both.

It got scrapped after a CEO change. New guy isn't a small airplane guy. Pelton owns Duane Wallace's old 195 and now runs EAA.

I enjoyed my fight in it. No problems with the stoke. Climb performance was great at gross and cruise wasn't bad either.

You can't fill the tanks and put two people in a 150 either.

I'd have no concerns spinning one. I've talked to the chief test pilot for the sky catcher, a lot.

The 162 I rent doesn't have SVT and goes for $120/hr wet.

Coincidentally, Martha Lunken gives a short (negative) opinion on the SkyCatcher in the December 2014 issue of Flying.

Something I note from hearing others experiences is that the QC on the SkyCatcher must be lacking. The one I rent, at first back in 2011 had very very heavy rudders. I wondered if the cables were binding or something, but the plane was brand new. At some point (and I really don't remember when), the rudders were "normal" and no longer took lots of muscle to move. I take it somebody adjusted the rigging. Martha, in the article I just mentioned, says the Johnson bar takes 2 hands to operate and that the ailerons are heavy. That's not true for the one I fly. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned not having enough elevator authority. I've not noticed that either. I've experienced a few electrical gremlins. I've had the G300 completely go out on me once for close to a minute (blank screen). I've had various instruments blink out on me too. It's had a battery go already too. And a Hobbs time that magically and randomly ticks backward between flights.

Solo (where I can fill the tanks and not worry about useful load) I enjoy the heck out of flying it.

One of the ones I rent does have SVT and goes for $85/hr. Depends where you look.

The rudders on both of the planes I fly are pretty stiff with strong centering springs that I don't like. Also, the flap handle does not take two hands to operate...maybe she wasn't grabbing it at the end? And the ailerons are not heavy. So I'm not sure what plane she was flying. My sample size is only two, but I notice no difference in the flying qualities.

Solo or with a light passenger, you're right--it's a total blast to fly.

Back