10th Anniversary POA

That's one yellow-board thread I don't remember.

It was actually a yellow-board member. One of the many who moved the 'Off Topic' section into the realm of heavily divisive politics, that eventually brought the yellow-board down.

Treadmill didn't make the top ten? :confused:

There are two long-ish treadmill threads, but both in the 300+ post range. The top 10 threads were all over 1000 posts I think.

There might be a treadmill thread in the top 25, but I ain't gonna count again.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4801
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17907

And if I remember correctly, "Private checkride went horribly wrong!" wasn't a flying thread to brag about...

Most of the long threads aren't - They're long because they're contentious, and generally devolve into the kind of posts we don't like to see here.

Personally, I'd like to hear more about this. Not sure if I wasn't paying attention, but in the past few years, this is the first I've heard of it.

Is there a thread with the backstory?

Most of us who were "founding members" of this, the "blue board" (look for a Join Date of Feb 2005) were members of the old AOPA forums, now generally referred to as the "yellow board". AOPA shut down the yellow board shortly after the blue board came online and it was down for 4 months before they started the "red board" they have today. Many of us never went back - Part of why the yellow board shut down was the incessant name-calling and arguments, and the rules of the blue board were put in place in an effort to make this a kinder, gentler, more positive place. (We should really try to get back to that, we've gone a long ways downhill in more recent years.)

The true founders of this board were Chuck Haeberle and Brian Austin, both of whom no longer visit (I don't think they're flying either, unfortunately) though I believe Mike Andrews also played an integral role on the tech side as well. Bruce Chien, Chip Gibbons, and others contributed as early members of the Management Council as well.

BTW, Jesse Angell deserves a lot of credit for keeping things running. Even though he was kind of like an annoying little brother when we all started, he's grown immensely as a person and has put a lot of his time and resources into keeping PoA running smoothly over the years. IME, PoA's speed and reliability rivals that of Google, quite impressive! Well done, Jesse.

Thank you both SCCutler and Flyingcheesehead for the backstory. Very much appreciated!

Most of us who were "founding members" of this, the "blue board" (look for a Join Date of Feb 2005) were members of the old AOPA forums, now generally referred to as the "yellow board".
I didn't realize I had joined so early (March 2005). I was never a member of the "yellow board". I think I came here after learning about it on "Babes and Airplanes".

My seniority date:

Join DateFebruary 25th, 2005

Escaped the YellowBoard shortly before, mostly to get away from Joe Williams' rants...:mad2:

Long time RA* reader - didn't want anything to do with newfangled web boards. Finally got tired of he who shall not be named and his ilk and made the leap. I still have a newsreader around here somewheres...

Long time RA* reader - didn't want anything to do with newfangled web boards. Finally got tired of he who shall not be named and his ilk and made the leap. I still have a newsreader around here somewheres...

Was that Barnyardblob???

Moxie was a foundation member.:(
I was able to visit Moxie a couple times, once at her home airport, and another time when we both drove to Lakelawn (?) which I believe was in Illinois.

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

He who shall not be named shall not be named! but he was some sort of electrical engineer [cough/spit]

:D

Ha...

RAP /RAH were full of wanna bee's... Most claimed they were rocket scientists, and most were overinflated idiots....:yes::yes:

Ha...

RAP /RAH were full of wanna bee's... Most claimed they were rocket scientists, and most were overinflated idiots....:yes::yes:
No way they had to be highspeed early adopters to be claiming to be awesome on the internet that long ago.:lol:

My seniority date:

Join DateFebruary 25th, 2005

Escaped the YellowBoard shortly before, mostly to get away from Joe Williams' rants...:mad2:

Feb 23, 2005 for me. Joe came here and went to the other boards as well. He got banned wherever he went as I recall.

They were here for a while though...

Well, ol' Joe actually managed to behave himself for a short period of time over here before returning to his usual antics and earning himself one of the first bans from PoA. (The very first ban from PoA was "KP" who was another well-known yellow board troll - If you want to see how nice the blue board used to be, see the thread *welcoming* him to PoA.)

I was able to visit Moxie a couple times, once at her home airport, and another time when we both drove to Lakelawn (?) which I believe was in Illinois.
Almost in Illinois, but I'm pretty sure it's in Wisconsin.

The only time I met Moxie was at Lake Lawn. April 17, 2005 I believe.

Almost in Illinois, but I'm pretty sure it's in Wisconsin.

The only time I met Moxie was at Lake Lawn. April 17, 2005 I believe.
It very well could have been in Wisconsin. Thinking back, I probably drove up from Rockford. That's only a guess but we went to Rockford quite often back in the day. I remember the restaurant and then walking down to the lake. I think she pointed out the runway which was on the other side of the restaurant from the lake. I'm sure she drove that day too. It was raining on and off. I miss Moxie. She was one of the reasons I got involved in online boards.

Moxie was good people. I flew over that day from Michigan with Maverick in Maverick's Cardinal. We had lunch with Moxie, her sister Jean, EdFred, Dr. Bruce, and a couple of other people whose names I don't recall. Maverick's starter failed as we got in for the trip home. Moxie made the hour drive from her house to pick up Maverick and put her up for the night. I bummed a ride from a kindly pilot in a 172 since I needed to be at work the next day. I closed my "Moxie plan" well after midnight, but I did make it into work in the morning. That samaritan pilot was another special person, but that's another story.

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

He who shall not be named shall not be named! but he was some sort of electrical engineer [cough/spit]

:D
The troll that killed RAP was known as Bertie the Bunyip, although the groups were dying before that. As soon as the newsgroups were picked up by Google groups, RAP, RAH, RAO, and RAS were flooded with crazy, non-flying folks.

Many of us landed here after Bertie laid waste to literally dozens of threads. Congrats on POA surviving ten years!

The troll that killed RAP was known as Bertie the Bunyip, although the groups were dying before that. As soon as the newsgroups were picked up by Google groups, RAP, RAH, RAO, and RAS were flooded with crazy, non-flying folks.

Many of us landed here after Bertie laid waste to literally dozens of threads. Congrats on POA surviving ten years!

And then there was BadWaterBill... A self professed best pilot in the world who could even fly a kitchen table with his eyes closed...

Till he crashed next to an airport, killing himself and critically injuring his wife/girlfriend or whatever she was...

What a group of characters in that arena...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.......:rolleyes2:

Many of us never went back - Part of why the yellow board shut down was the incessant name-calling and arguments, and the rules of the blue board were put in place in an effort to make this a kinder, gentler, more positive place. (We should really try to get back to that, we've gone a long ways downhill in more recent years.)

:yes::yes:

And flying... Remember when people from here would actually FLY and meet up with each other!? At one point, there were so many get-togethers planned that people were actually saying "Well, I can't make it to the _____ fly-in, because I am going to the _____ and _____ fly-ins."

Now it seems that the place is overrun with keyboard superheros who would rather b*tch at each other about grammar than talk about flying... much less DO something flying related.

/rant off

March 14, 2005 join date for me... I think I was in the first wave of non-beta users to join. Wow.. I've been with PoA 9 months longer than I've been married! :hairraise:

I joined in May of 2007 in the wave of RAP refugees. So far I've only met one POAer in person and it was at a technical conference unrelated to flying (other than it pays for my flying).

Anybody want to try for a central Florida meetup in January?

John

I joined in May of 2007 in the wave of RAP refugees. So far I've only met one POAer in person and it was at a technical conference unrelated to flying (other than it pays for my flying).

Anybody want to try for a central Florida meetup in January?

John

Could be interested,what airport and date do you have in mind?

Could be interested,what airport and date do you have in mind?

Let me start another thread for this. I fly out of KORL and would be interested in flying somewhere toward mid month.

John

Well, I happen to know a guy with an aviation themed hotel we could all meet at... ;)

Cupcakes and textiles? Where's the hard stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top 10 posters:

1. Henning

2. ScottM

3. Ron Levy

4. denverpilot

5. Everskyward

6. Steingar

7. Me!

8. wsuffa

9. Ted DuPuis

10. mikea

Proud to say I've met every one in person, except Henning! (Henning, are you real? LOL)

Top 10 threads:

1. Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

2. Republicans and Gay Rights

3. Corrupt my wish

4. Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

5. Private checkride went horribly wrong!

6. iPad vs. Nexus 7

7. Daily Pic

8. Zimmerman acquitted

9. Negative ANN article about Cirrus

10. Ebola

Seems like only three of them have much to do with flying! :(

Holy crap. I need to find something else to do.

Nice to have met you too, Kent. And various others.

You sure those rankings aren't just for a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us go as far back as rec.aviation (RAP) in the 1990s or earlier then moved over here when it got intolerable with spam and trolls.

Last edited:
:yes::yes:

And flying... Remember when people from here would actually FLY and meet up with each other!? At one point, there were so many get-togethers planned that people were actually saying "Well, I can't make it to the _____ fly-in, because I am going to the _____ and _____ fly-ins."

Now it seems that the place is overrun with keyboard superheros who would rather b*tch at each other about grammar than talk about flying... much less DO something flying related.

/rant off

March 14, 2005 join date for me... I think I was in the first wave of non-beta users to join. Wow.. I've been with PoA 9 months longer than I've been married! :hairraise:

Well, the Colorado contingent try every few months. If a visitor lets us know a week or so in advance, we can always produce a few folks for lunch or dinner.

Amen, brother.

It's not just here, though. EAA chapters, QBs, Mary's 99s. Lots of talking the talk, very little walking the walk. $5/gallon gas does that to people.

The only group that is still flying regularly, and some fly a LOT, are our RV friends.

It'd be nice to do something but whatever that is I can't really commit any time to it. Some personal things consuming massive amounts of my time right now. It sure has been an interesting and fun ride and this board has a hell of a lot to do with who I am today.

Pretty much every positive event of significance in my life had this board as an integral part leading to it happening.

Meeting much of you in my earlier years showed me what was really out there in this world. I grew up in a bit of a bubble without much exposure to positive and successful people and had no idea how one lives to become such a thing. I can say without a doubt I wouldn't be even close to where I am today had I never stumbled upon this community.

Last edited:
That's one yellow-board thread I don't remember. The "calibrated windsock" one was legendary, though. :rofl:

That "calibrated windsock" story was truly fantastic. I wish the author was back on-line with us.

BTW, my join date for the Blue Board was February 25, 2005, so I guess I've been around for a while, too. Met a few Colorado members for lunch a couple years ago while I was in Denver for a convention. Also met (and enjoyed his hospitality) Harley Reich and Judypilot over the years.

That "calibrated windsock" story was truly fantastic. I wish the author was back on-line with us.

BTW, my join date for the Blue Board was February 25, 2005, so I guess I've been around for a while, too. Met a few Colorado members for lunch a couple years ago while I was in Denver for a convention. Also met (and enjoyed his hospitality) Harley Reich and Judypilot over the years.

I've flown with quite a few people off the boards over the years, even made some great enduring friendships IRL through them.

Back