Moving to SLC

grscd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
grscd
I got my PPL in 2009, in Florence, SC (KFLO). I have lived in the Greenville, SC area for the past few years. Recently I have gotten married and now my new family is heading west - to Salt Lake City.

I have fallen out of date with aviation - I missed my BFR and need to get an updated medical certificate - but I am ready to change that. I know next to nothing about SLC, and was wondering if there is anyone here who could recommend where I should start looking - an AME, a CFI and/or where to rent (C150/C172/...), general knowledge I might find useful, etc.

Thanks!

can't help with the SLC area but welcome to flying in the west where visibility is measured in 10's or 100's of miles rather than the 10's or 100's of feet that you may be used to! :D

I got my PPL in 2009, in Florence, SC (KFLO). I have lived in the Greenville, SC area for the past few years. Recently I have gotten married and now my new family is heading west - to Salt Lake City.

I have fallen out of date with aviation - I missed my BFR and need to get an updated medical certificate - but I am ready to change that. I know next to nothing about SLC, and was wondering if there is anyone here who could recommend where I should start looking - an AME, a CFI and/or where to rent (C150/C172/...), general knowledge I might find useful, etc.

Thanks!

First post....

Welcome to POA...

:cheers::cheers:.

I am just a little north of SLC in Jackson Hole...

I live in the SLC area. Do you know which part of the valley you'll be moving to?

I can recommend Cornerston Aviation, at KSLC and KOGD for training and rentals, I use them quite a bit.

There are some flying clubs around, Hill Flying Club at Ogden, and another one at Bountiful (A&M Sports maybe?).

If your going down around Provo, I don't know much about there.

I live in the SLC area. Do you know which part of the valley you'll be moving to?

I can recommend Cornerston Aviation, at KSLC and KOGD for training and rentals, I use them quite a bit.

There are some flying clubs around, Hill Flying Club at Ogden, and another one at Bountiful (A&M Sports maybe?).

Kool....

Another first poster........

:cheers:

can't help with the SLC area but welcome to flying in the west where visibility is measured in 10's or 100's of miles rather than the 10's or 100's of feet that you may be used to! :D
Haha, thanks, I'm looking forward to the change in scenery.

First post....

Welcome to POA...

:cheers::cheers:.

I am just a little north of SLC in Jackson Hole...
Thanks!

Thanks for the information, I will look into the names you mentioned. We are moving into an apartment in downtown Salt Lake City.

You didn't move West Enough. Just one State Over is Arizona where we are VFR most Days.
Utah is way cooler then Arizona, neither is cool as MA.<- last bit is sarcasm.

Hey, welcome! I just finished my training with Cornerstone (based out of KSLC), and now have a timeshare out of KBTF (just a tad north). That company is indeed called A&M. Their own CFI's don't have much respect for Cornerstone (I encountered a lot of eye-rolling) but most of that is some form of butt-hurt over the owner of CSA. I had two wonderful instructors there, and the planes they rent out are in good shape. KBTF also has a flight school (Bountiful Flight School).

Let me know if you want to grab a beer when you get settled. My own family doesn't quite appreciate flying as I do, and I wouldn't mind having a pilot friend around here!

Hey, welcome! I just finished my training with Cornerstone (based out of KSLC), and now have a timeshare out of KBTF (just a tad north). That company is indeed called A&M. Their own CFI's don't have much respect for Cornerstone (I encountered a lot of eye-rolling) but most of that is some form of butt-hurt over the owner of CSA. I had two wonderful instructors there, and the planes they rent out are in good shape. KBTF also has a flight school (Bountiful Flight School).

Let me know if you want to grab a beer when you get settled. My own family doesn't quite appreciate flying as I do, and I wouldn't mind having a pilot friend around here!
Thanks, I greatly appreciate the information.

I'll take you up on your offer for a meet-up once we get moved and settled, that would be great.

woodchucker, you had me at "beer".... that makes us members of the minority around here!!

Trailboss, not sure where you are located, but living in Utah I gotta penetrate the Zion Curtain to even see beer around these parts. The qualifications are worse than getting double super-secret FAA certs!

PS: if any of you fly into Utah from more friendly locations...bring beer!

There's not much of Arizona that is any further West than Utah.:no:

Yup. Evapilotz is a bit off on that.

In fact, SLC is 0.1 degrees west of Gilbert AZ, where evapilotz is located according to profile.

40.750 N, 111.883 W, Salt Lake City Coordinates

33.350 N, 111.789 W, Gilbert Coordinates

Trailboss, not sure where you are located, but living in Utah I gotta penetrate the Zion Curtain to even see beer around these parts. The qualifications are worse than getting double super-secret FAA certs!

Purchasing is a little difficult ... Consumption in Utah is way more wide spread then you can imagine...;);););)....

Last edited:
Yup. Evapilotz is a bit off on that.

In fact, SLC is 0.1 degrees west of Gilbert AZ, where evapilotz is located according to profile.

40.750 N, 111.883 W, Salt Lake City Coordinates

33.350 N, 111.789 W, Gilbert Coordinates

Ok you guys have to be so technically correct all the time. :yes:

Ok you didn't move to AZ with the Best flying in the US. IMHO :D

I've been to Ogden several times. No shortage of beer or people to drink it. I've had some awesome soaring flights out of Logan. Great place to fly.

Where's the largest liquor store in the SLC area?

I've been to Ogden several times. No shortage of beer or people to drink it. I've had some awesome soaring flights out of Logan. Great place to fly.

That wasn't real beer they were selling you in Ogden.

3.2%

Just say no.

As a friend's ball cap said (in the early 1980s in the Denver area), "Eat, drink and be merry! For tomorrow you may be in Utah."

I learned to fly with Cornerstone out of Ogden. Yes, the owner is legendary for not making friends. Leading Edge aviation is also very good. They are based at Salt Lake #2 airport and Ogden, #2 if you are in the south part of the valley is a good choice.

For the record (and please don't tell anyone else because stereotypes keep costs low out here), you can buy non 3.2 beer in a liquor store, just not a supermarket.

The downside of flying in SLC is that without a turbo FIKI plane, it's pretty much VFR only flying. The good news is that 140 knots or greater gets you to Vegas in about two hours, Jackson in an hour, Yellowstone in 90 minutes, St. George in 1:45, Moab in an hour and Bryce Canyon in 1:30. Pretty amazing places to visit and very fun flying.

Utah = no buzz beer!

For the record, Utah has some outstanding micro brews. Even the snobby Bend-ite that my sister married and divorced managed to not grimace too loudly. Some excellent outdoor stuff to do. I'm into backcountry skiing (or up at Alta if I have any money) but there is rock and ice climbing and tons of hiking and mountain biking. The schools are underfunded as the 3rd child and up are written off on state taxes, and I think the average number of kids is around 5ish. If you are moving here from a progressive state, you will find that your kids are about a year or two ahead of their peers here. I teach high school math, and every time a kid transfers in from out of state they are shocked at how watered down things are.

You will find out that there is nothing that compares with flying over snow-capped peaks under a brilliant blue sky. :yes:

You will find out that there is nothing that compares with flying over snow-capped peaks under a brilliant blue sky. :yes:

Like this ?

These were taken out of the 170 at 10K' way back in 99.

Attachments

• Texas Trip 99 031.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 031.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Texas Trip 99 032.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 032.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Texas Trip 99 033.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 033.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Texas Trip 99 036.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 036.jpg