If anybody is looking for a C-150

Good looking trainer.

Being well over six feet tall and 200+ the 150's don't fit around me too good. :nonod:

What kind of COMM is that? I've never seen one like it before.

Beautiful condition little plane. Looks like a King something comm-only. My only problem with this plane is it has zero navigation equipment other than a compass and DG. This must have some implications to primary training and checkrides??

Beautiful condition little plane. Looks like a King something comm-only. My only problem with this plane is it has zero navigation equipment other than a compass and DG. This must have some implications to primary training and checkrides??

Stick a handheld GPS in it and find a DPE with a clue and you could use it to take a private checkride.

Stick a handheld GPS in it and find a DPE with a clue and you could use it to take a private checkride.

Yep. That's kind of what I meant by implications. It isn't a no-go. But it could be an impediment. Not knowing how to use a VOR seems crazy to me, but it is indeed a slowly dying thing that isn't required for VFR flight.

There are a couple on the Dallas c/l for that price or less. Also a 172 with the wings removed for 14k, if I remember correctly.

My only problem with it is the one radio.

Yeah, at a minimum, I think I'd add a NAV/COM to it.

But I'm curious - what would it cost to drop a used 430 into this, and then have the existing radio as a backup? I'm guessing it would need another antenna too...

My airplane only has one radio.. We fly the crap out of it and make many memories flying around these parts.. You can often hear me saying "I'd rather have an airplane with one radio then dream of a plane with two radios"
I'm content with my bird and just throw a handheld in the back just in case.. Your results may vary...

Yeah, at a minimum, I think I'd add a NAV/COM to it.

But I'm curious - what would it cost to drop a used 430 into this, and then have the existing radio as a backup? I'm guessing it would need another antenna too...

With a CDI installed with the 430, the cost could surpass the price of the plane. :dunno:

I thought it looked like a VAL Com also. My brother used to have on like that.

I was wondering about that, can one find a DPE to accept a plane without a VOR Nav? I'm not super familiar with everything that applies, but to the best of my recollection I can't think of where it would be required.

Looks like a nice enough of a plane it might be worth doing another radio in it.

With a CDI installed with the 430, the cost could surpass the price of the plane. :dunno:

I don't know, there are some reasonable deals now on used equipment, and even 430/530ws are coming onto the market as they get replaced with 650/750 options. I was talking to my buddies dad the other day who owns an avionics shop that it's now possible to do a 430w installed for under $7500. If the plane appears in person as the pictures represent it, I don't think having $22,500 in that plane would be too bad especially when you consider you can now do your IR in the plane as well and resell it as an IFR airplane instead of VFR.

I don't know, there are some reasonable deals now on used equipment, and even 430/530ws are coming onto the market as they get replaced with 650/750 options. I was talking to my buddies dad the other day who owns an avionics shop that it's now possible to do a 430w installed for under $7500. If the plane appears in person as the pictures represent it, I don't think having $22,500 in that plane would be too bad especially when you consider you can now do your IR in the plane as well and resell it as an IFR airplane instead of VFR.

A 430 is overkill on a 150 and would be one of those upgrades you would lose money on when you go to sell I think. Most upgrades don't hold their value very well because as you pointed out, tech changes fast.

An in panel WAAS navigator makes sense if you're going to be navigating a lot and you want autopilot and all the goodies imo. :dunno:

I was wondering about that, can one find a DPE to accept a plane without a VOR Nav? I'm not super familiar with everything that applies, but to the best of my recollection I can't think of where it would be required.

Looks like a nice enough of a plane it might be worth doing another radio in it.

Yes you can accomplish all the required items of the checkride with a handheld GPS. Some DPEs don't realize that but it's a non issue for most.

A 430 is overkill on a 150 and would be one of those upgrades you would lose money on when you go to sell I think. Most upgrades don't hold their value very well because as you pointed out, tech changes fast.

I agree it'd be overkill, but I was thinking that if I were to install a second NAV/COM anyway, perhaps going the used 430 route wouldn't increase the cost substantially. Would dropping in something like a KX-155 be considerably cheaper?

Although maybe just an handheld GPS and backup transceiver is the smartest play here.

I agree it'd be overkill, but I was thinking that if I were to install a second NAV/COM anyway, perhaps going the used 430 route wouldn't increase the cost substantially. Would dropping in something like a KX-155 be considerably cheaper?

Although maybe just an handheld GPS and backup transceiver is the smartest play here.

VAL avionics makes a VOR head that is a self contained VOR radio with display that fits in a standard hole. I'd look into that maybe. They're much less expensive than big daddy Garmin.

Then stick with a portable GPS.

A 150 should have a VOR for training imo. :redface:

2843222.jpg

Last edited:
You can take a check ride in anything that is legal to fly. It doesn't need VOR, or anything else for that matter. The test is administered on the basis of what's in the airplane. You may end up with a limitation on your ticket, but all you need to do is get signed off by a CFI in most cases.

I fly out of part 93 airspace and it gets hectic. I like to monitor the local traffic on the second radio because the banner tows and helicopters announce on there but not on approach.

Checking awos is nice too.

Im sure it could be done with one radio, but I would much prefer having two.

VAL avionics makes a VOR head that is a self contained VOR radio with display that fits in a standard hole. I'd look into that maybe. They're much less expensive than big daddy Garmin.

Then stick with a portable GPS.

A 150 should have a VOR for training imo. :redface:

2843222.jpg

I have a Narco stand alone VOR head with harnes and antenna for 250 bucks, will do the job very well.

It's funny where a simple "airplane for sale" posting of an airplane and how far it goes on POA..

It's funny where a simple "airplane for sale" posting of an airplane and how far it goes on POA..
Indeed. A lot of folks wouldn't see a problem with not having VOR in an airplane like this. I had a Sport Cub with no VOR for five years and never missed it. I rarely turn on the nav sides of the KX-175Bs in my 172, and then usually only to make sure they still work. Depends on your mission.

Looks like a nice price for a 150L, especially if you prefer $75 burgers over the $100 variety.

Indeed. A lot of folks wouldn't see a problem with not having VOR in an airplane like this. I had a Sport Cub with no VOR for five years and never missed it. I rarely turn on the nav sides of the KX-175Bs in my 172, and then usually only to make sure they still work. Depends on your mission.

Looks like a nice price for a 150L, especially if you prefer $75 burgers over the $100 variety.

When you use the 150 for training for the PPL, what do you need? Granted, you could do the required VOR training in a different aircraft.

If anybody is looking for a good C150 buy mine. It ain't cheap but it's very good.

Back