QT Halo users: Black or Yellow?

jcepiano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jcepiano
I'm going to be buying a pair of these for myself and was hoping for some input. I've seen some people regret the purchase of the black but I wanted to get a group opinion on the color or if they regretted either of the colors.

Excited to try them!!

Yellow for me.

It's a favorite color. And, it doesn't get lost among everything else that's black (including the headset cords).

Yellow, that way you will see them on your seat before you sit on them.

And get the new style ear plugs.

I bought black. As much as I love them, they do seem somewhat fragile so yellow might not be a bad choice.

I bought black, don't regret it. Regardless of the color, they are outstanding! :)

Yellow, that way you will see them on your seat before you sit on them.

I also got yellow for the same reason. Plus easier to find in the flight bag during evening/night flights

Are they seriously quiet in a piston plane? I've never seen them in real life, but they seem too small to shield out the engine/prop noise. What makes them more effective than Zulu's?

I got black, no issues. But would have been nice. They are quiet and light.

Are they seriously quiet in a piston plane? I've never seen them in real life, but they seem too small to shield out the engine/prop noise. What makes them more effective than Zulu's?

They act like earplugs as commonly used on construction sites etc.

I got them in black as well, if we get my wife a pair maybe we'll get yellow and she can use the black ones once we switch out ear plugs. :)

They are really quiet in a 172, I can't compare to Zulu's as I've never used them. But the QT's are light to the point you forget you're wearing them almost.

The major thing that I've considered is that standard ANR sets use actual noise to cancel out what you're hearing outside, where as these in-ear sets literally block out the sound itself from entering your ear...at the end of the day that's healthier and they weighs so much less!

Sound is sound, and it superposes. There is NO DIFFERENCE between perfectly canceled ANR and not having sound at all.

I don't know why you care what the color is. That's personal choice. I've used green, blue, black and white headsets. The color says nothing about how well they work.

Sound is sound, and it superposes. There is NO DIFFERENCE between perfectly canceled ANR and not having sound at all.

I don't know why you care what the color is. That's personal choice. I've used green, blue, black and white headsets. The color says nothing about how well they work.

Yikes buddy...no need to get harsh about my inquiry about the color. I'd like to buy them once and not deal with returning them and was curious as to why some folks have expressed regret about getting the black. I'm perfectly aware that they work fine regardless of color. Thanks for being supportive.

I got black, but didn't really have a reason to do so other than my old headset was black. There's a trial period on the headset (can't remember if it's 30 or 45 days). Call Phil (601.316.7160) and ask him if you could return for a different color during that period. I'll bet he answers the phone right away and says it's no problem.

I use yellow. I didn't want to sit on them. They will get very loud FYI, so when you use for the first time, turn the audio down all the way and fade it in with the squelch open.

Yes. Almost too quiet. Its an ANSI style foam earplug with a small hole in the middle to accept the audio tube. The aircraft sound reduction is rather significant.

I have only flown standard sets before, so it's kinda weird not hearing all the racket I used to.

Yellow - adds 2kts to cruise speed.
;)

Mine is black, and I use the silicone plugs. No temperature issues--foam ones get hard in winter weather.

Yes. Almost too quiet. Its an ANSI style foam earplug with a small hole in the middle to accept the audio tube. The aircraft sound reduction is rather significant.

I have only flown standard sets before, so it's kinda weird not hearing all the racket I used to.

perhaps odd question...but do the ear canals get sore/chafed on longer flights? a local flight instructor has them and I have been intrigued from the first.

perhaps odd question...but do the ear canals get sore/chafed on longer flights? a local flight instructor has them and I have been intrigued from the first.

I have never experienced any soreness or chafing. Go to a sport or outdoor store, buy a 50 cent pair of yellow foam ear plugs used for shooting, and see how you do. The one individual I am familiar with that doesn't like them has an inner ear skin condition that is exacerbated by the ear plugs. other than that, unless you have some sort of psychological aversion to having something in your years, you should be fine.

I have never had a problem, but I have had to wear plugs for almost 20 years on the job. I forget there in sometimes. I was not comfortable witht the rubber ones though. Maybe I'm used to cheap, but they just felt better to me.

Piano man.....

It comes with a whole bunch. All sorts of sizes in the box and multiple pairs of the foamy ones though, as they are the most popular to use.

I got black because yellow wouldn't look good with an Orange airplane ;-). They work better than any standard head set by a large margin. They aren't as quite as Bose ANR but the freedom from the head clamp and ear muffs is well worth it.

The only down side I see is they don't mix well with other headsets. For example, I don't have a passenger pair as that would be a little gross. So passengers use my old regular head sets. So they can barely hear when the volume is set comfortable for me, and my ears ring if the volume is set high enough for them to hear well.

I got black because yellow wouldn't look good with an Orange airplane ;-). They work better than any standard head set by a large margin. They aren't as quite as Bose ANR but the freedom from the head clamp and ear muffs is well worth it.

The only down side I see is they don't mix well with other headsets. For example, I don't have a passenger pair as that would be a little gross. So passengers use my old regular head sets. So they can barely hear when the volume is set comfortable for me, and my ears ring if the volume is set high enough for them to hear well.

Can't you turn the volume up at the panel and down on your headset? Mine has a volume adjustment inline (that sometimes screws me up if it gets turned up or down when putting the headset away).

Interesting. So you're saying a lower intercom volume is comfortable with the halo, but makes it too low for a traditional headset? I've never read that about these.

How do these compare to the Clarity Aloft sets (other than being less expensive?)

Thanks for all the advice folks...just pulled the trigger on a set and got them in yellow. Good points about not mixing up the headset with the wires and visibility at night. Will post my review once I fly with them a bit. Also looking forward to being able to travel easily with a pair instead of lugging around a giant pair of Zulu's or A20's. DC's are going to my pax from now on.

My wife wears David Clark's, and I wear my Halos.

Both radios have volume controls; my Halos have a volume slider; the DCs have a volume knob on each ear cup. We have been comfortable using both like this for four years. Surely with three controls, you can find usable leveled.

On the other hand, I have a really old headset without volume control. It's louder than ours, but if I turn the radio volume down then I can compensate by turning up the Halo & DC volumes.

How do these compare to the Clarity Aloft sets (other than being less expensive?)

Clarity is ear bud-like, putting the speaker in your ear. Halos put the speakers behind your head, nothing hard inside your ear, just your ear plug of choice with a silicone sound tube through it. I hate ear buds, but love my Halos!!

Can't you turn the volume up at the panel and down on your headset? Mine has a volume adjustment inline (that sometimes screws me up if it gets turned up or down when putting the headset away).

You know, I keep forgetting that the Halo's have volume control. All my previous headsets didn't. I will have to fiddle with that next time I have a passenger. :mad2:

Interesting. So you're saying a lower intercom volume is comfortable with the halo, but makes it too low for a traditional headset? I've never read that about these.

It's because the Halo's block more noise than traditional head sets and are just louder by design. If I had some ANR's for the passenger it might be better.

If i jump in a rental, I always turn it down before Avionics master goes on..

Back