Anyone go out today? (Sun. Nov. 23, '14)

OCviaMotorCity

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
B. Stanton
Did anyone fly today in the LA-area?

My CFI trained in the pattern today and we're flying with "inverted runways" due to Santa Ana winds coming from the North, so we did a wind-check on base as we were turning to final.

The tower informed us of 020 at 3-0 knots. At first we were a little skeptical, but after it took virtually forever to get to the runway threshold we became believers. I also ended up hearing about low-level windshear reported by a couple commercial jets causing a loss of 30kts during finals.

I record all my training flights with my CFI via my GoPro, I'm uploading them now and will provide some video -- there is also some great footage of the Back Bay here in Newport and scenic shots of the Santa Ana Mtns. and the Pacific!

Welcome to the forum,I was flying in Fla this morning,windy,bumpy and hazy. But I was flying.

20G32 here. Good day to reinforce my fence panels.

It's been raining/snowing with ceilings around 600-1200 the past 2 days. And we're expecting around 3-5 inches of snow tonight to tomorrow.

Been IFR all day here today, rain, low ceilings and 1 mile vis. No flying for me

30 knots is a typical wind here. 50 is when I start to pay attention, but provided it has a nosewheel, I still fly.

I was flying in a Debonair one day right seat. We were in the runup area and the left seat pilot was doing a control check. When he pulled the yoke back the nose came off the ground. The tail would have hit the ground if we would have let it. And no..we weren't loaded with an aft CG at all. That's when you know it's going to be a bumpy ride down low.

Gusts to 30knts here, but POTUS was in town with his 30nm grounding of flight schools. He left just before noon.

I was flying out at Ramona yesterday and the wind was 20-22 knots. Granted a lot less than others in this thread are talking about, but I am still a student pilot and prior to yesterday the most wind I have flown in was about 11-12 knots. Never had the tail end of the plane be pushed around like that as I was turning from downwind to base. Good learning experience and definitely glad I had my instructor with me.

-Brian

I was actually flying out of Fullerton on both the 22nd and 23rd. Amazingly the winds there were very light and they were still using 24. But our search training took us out over Santiago peak where we got beaten up enough by the 20-30+kts over the peak that we didn't drop down for any practice until we headed out towards Dana point instead.

Did anyone fly today in the LA-area?

My CFI trained in the pattern today and we're flying with "inverted runways" due to Santa Ana winds coming from the North, so we did a wind-check on base as we were turning to final.

The tower informed us of 020 at 3-0 knots. At first we were a little skeptical, but after it took virtually forever to get to the runway threshold we became believers. I also ended up hearing about low-level windshear reported by a couple commercial jets causing a loss of 30kts during finals.

I record all my training flights with my CFI via my GoPro, I'm uploading them now and will provide some video -- there is also some great footage of the Back Bay here in Newport and scenic shots of the Santa Ana Mtns. and the Pacific!

Great video! Thanks for sharing

Back