Cable cutters step inside

No cable or wired internet since 2000, no Directv since 2009 and only a 9 GB data plan on three devices. We watch dvd's occassionally and have plenty of hobbies to keep us busy. Our family prepares dinner, enjoys it and cleans up together. When one has a small farm plus a full-time job, there is little time to watch tv. Things might be different if we lived in town.

Last edited:
One often spends a good portion of the day doing unexciting things. And if you think about it, masturbation for five straight hours can be taxing if anything.

OK...I waited as long as I could... Doesn't the commercial say you're supposed to call a doctor if it lasts FOUR hours?? :)

Just ran a few speed tests on my DSL line...paying for 8MB, getting 4MB (down)...is this normal? Figuring out which 'cable' to cut..

Jim

Last edited:
Cut cable about a year ago. Now have rabbit ears, Roku, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. Way cheaper. Only thing I miss is TCM. Totally worth it.

For all of you who have cut your TV/cable whatever, what's your social life like? Oh, you have a spouse, kids, and a bunch of friends you get together with to pass the time? How wonderful for you.

I'd be so utterly bored without TV I would go bonkers. 5:15pm till 11pm M-F and 9am-11pm on Saturday and Sunday it's on.

The life of a social pariah.

Well, I thank you for the paycheck :)

You don't understand, this VoIPs using my T-Mo number. I can be in the middle of the ocean with VSat service piped wifi through the boat, and if someone calls the number on my card, it rings through. There are no extra costs involved, my phone bill and our broadband bill, and it doesn't incur VSats VoIP fee, it falls under our unlimited data package so it doesn't add to the owners bill. While AT&T offers international roaming at a premium, there is no premium with the T-Mo international plan. You get throttled service which you can pay a premium to upgrade, but the throttled service is good enough to run Google Navigator, do web searches for businesses, and even read these forums. It's not quite fast enough to stream video without significant buffer delays though. Thing is, no matter how much I use the data, my bill does not change, I also get free international texting. Voice is 20¢ a minute.

If you can find me a plan that does better, especially internationally, please, let me know. T-Mo's customer service is also the best in the industry.

I don't know what's better or worse for your needs, but for mine, ATT has done very well for me. All that talk about ATT throttling their unlimited data, but I've never experienced it. I've got unlimited data international and yes, it is a premium, but I've never experienced a bill spike. If I've got a signal, I use my data wherever I am, and my apps that I need. Sure I'm not streaming video, playing on Facebook, and all that jazz. But I can make a Skype call, WhatsApp call, Facetime, whatever...if there is a signal, it works.

For all of you who have cut your TV/cable whatever, what's your social life like? Oh, you have a spouse, kids, and a bunch of friends you get together with to pass the time? How wonderful for you.

I'd be so utterly bored without TV I would go bonkers. 5:15pm till 11pm M-F and 9am-11pm on Saturday and Sunday it's on.

The life of a social pariah.

Spouse but she's out two or three nights a week most weeks. Rehearsals.

Dogs. You need dogs.

Just ran a few speed tests on my DSL line...paying for 8MB, getting 4MB (down)...is this normal? Figuring out which 'cable' to cut..

Nope. If you feel like the pain of online "help" you could start a thread in the tech forum... Heh. We can all "help".

Kill your TV and go for a walk. Our big brains were built for movement. Moving makes your brain bigger and prevents and reverses what was believed to be normal age related cognitive decline. Walk, ride a bike, swing through the trees whatever just friggin move.

Kill your TV and go for a walk. Our big brains were built for movement. Moving makes your brain bigger and prevents and reverses what was believed to be normal age related cognitive decline. Walk, ride a bike, swing through the trees whatever just friggin move.

Twerk!

I had cut the wire for a bit. Used an antenna getting about 30 chanels. Then I found that my fios pricing is pretty much just a miniscule <10$ amount more for the first level TV package. No fios boxes. Getting just Internet alone really didn't save much.

I was forced to live without cable when I moved out two years ago. My roommate won't split the cost and it's too expensive if I paid for it. It took some getting use too. :rolleyes:

My dad worked in the television industry for 30 years. I grew up with the TV on 24/7. We had three TVs in the living room for my dad to monitor work. I watched it so much I could tell time by just hearing what show was currently running. My dad can still mentally time commercial breaks down to the second. :D

Now that doesn't mean I spent my childhood indoors. I went camping once a month and the weekends I didn't go my dad had some project I had to help with.

For those who have cut the cable cord completely, what Internet service do you use for streaming content? It appears as though Henning is using Clear, but how about others?

JKG

I got mad and cut ties two months ago. Saved two months hanger rent for the ultralight the first month. :yes: Killed the home phone, all extra programming. I might add Roku later.

For those who have cut the cable cord completely, what Internet service do you use for streaming content? It appears as though Henning is using Clear, but how about others?

JKG

We use ETC (Eastern Tennessee Cooperative, I think), providing 10 Mbps for about $50/month, via strung cable to our house. That's just internet- no TV, though that's available at extra cost.

That speed is adequate, though faster would be better. 15 Mbps is $60, 20 Mbps is $70, on up to 50 Mbps for $100.

We live in a valley, so Over The Air is not an option - we're in a coverage gap between Atlanta, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Haven't had Cable/Satellite TV for two years. I don't miss it, the wife sometimes does. we use a Roku, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and XMBC. We watch almost whatever we want. the wife can't find a few HGTV shows and I think there was one Packers game I had difficulty watching, but certainly not worth the 125 per month we were paying for TV service.

We have 10mb DSL from the local company for $44 per month. It works. I'd love to get rid of that too, but alas, how would I then talk with you fine folks? :)

Just saw a commercial on broadcast CBS claiming that "Dish may disrupt your TV viewing!"

And to go to KeepCBS.com for more info, um, propaganda from CBS about their private negotiations with Dish to carry them.

Funny stuff when watching off of CBS' transmitter.

Back