Visual Basic

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I used to have VB4 on my Dell Desktop. Now my Windows 7 Desktop and my Windows 8 Laptop won't run my VB4.

I don't program for a living but I wanted to write a VB program for the operation of an Oil Failure Control and an Ohms Law Calculation Wheel.

I guess VB is not compatible with Windows 8 nor is my C++ ver. 6.

I use it, VB4, mainly for my enjoyment. I tried to download VB6 but my Windows 8 doesn't seem to like their Download Manager and they load it up with stuff I don't know about.

Any ideas on how I could still write in VB? Is there an "online" program where I could write VB4 and be on the Cloud and not my computer?

One other question. Why won't Windows 8 run Windows program like VB or other programs? Is it a change in programming language?

Looks like to me if Windows was written in C++ or whatever language then it should work in any version of Windows. What specifically is different? :dunno:

Terry :)

It's time to switch to .NET. it's way past time

If you really insist on writing that archaic language, there is a library you can import into Microsoft Visual Basic. Net and use the old syntax I'm embarrassed to admit that I know that I hung on for a long time too. Not this long.

You might be able to run XP in virtual PC.

Basically, Win 7 opens a window that runs pretty much a full blown version of XP. From there you might be able to get it running. I've had to do that with some legacy things (like C++ v6) that I still have to support.

It's been a long time since I set it up, but I think I just looked up the procedure online and it only took a few minutes.

If you still have the source code, you might get someone with Visual Studio 2008 that can port it over for you. Might take a little work - but not much if it is a pretty vanilla VB4 project.

Bryan has the right idea. As long as you are not using some custom controls, the old VB controls can be ported to the new versions. (They call it .NET now, but in reality, it is mostly the same thing.)

What changed? Think of it like this: try putting a hydraulic prop on an old E-Series engine. Possible, but takes work. And if you don't do it right, you will crash...

I wouldn't mind changing to another language, just totally in the dark about which language.

I have Microsoft VB 4, Professional Edition. I also have Microsoft VB 4 Super Bible that lead me by the hand on writing programs.

I have "Learn C++" in 21 days.

Can someone give me a new language to learn where I can get a step by step tutorial?

You know, I start with "Hello World" then on to entering text and retrieval.

One with a compiler and a step by step instruction book that I could pick up through Amazon.

I looked at Amazon and they have everything and it makes it hard to choose to a beginner.

I want a simple to understand programming course with a compiler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

p.s.> Maybe an online programming course would be a better way to go.

Try C#, if it's still out there. Easier than Java and C++. I miss Delphi (object Pascal) myself, but haven't had the programming jones for awhile.

I'd almost keep an older machine so I could continue to run Visual Basic.

For that matter I still have a one essential program in Turbo Basic.

If you really insist on writing that archaic language, there is a library you can import into Microsoft Visual Basic. Net and use the old syntax I'm embarrassed to admit that I know that I hung on for a long time too. Not this long.

You want archaic? I had to do some work in TelePACE ladder logic recently...I was looking around for stone knives and bear claws...and parts of my head still hurt.

Anyway, basic isn't so bad. Long in the tooth but then so am I.

I wouldn't mind changing to another language, just totally in the dark about which language.

I have Microsoft VB 4, Professional Edition. I also have Microsoft VB 4 Super Bible that lead me by the hand on writing programs.

I have "Learn C++" in 21 days.

Can someone give me a new language to learn where I can get a step by step tutorial?

You know, I start with "Hello World" then on to entering text and retrieval.

One with a compiler and a step by step instruction book that I could pick up through Amazon.

I looked at Amazon and they have everything and it makes it hard to choose to a beginner.

I want a simple to understand programming course with a compiler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

p.s.> Maybe an online programming course would be a better way to go.

Old VB to C# is tough
Old VB to VB.NET is less tough

If you're going the C route, time to switch to Linux. Using vi of course. :yes:

If you're going the C route, time to switch to Linux. Using vi of course. :yes:

Yea .. um .. I've been coding since 1990... that is the deep end of the pool. (I still code with VI from time to time.)

Yea, I like the C# or Java route. C++ is a bear - especially if you are not doing it for a living. (Objective C - Apple is another rough ride - but not as bad as C++.)

One thing that is nice about learning one of the "C" variants is that it makes learning one of the others a little easier. (e.g. C, C++, Java, C#, Objective C). It's been years since Ive coded Delphi, but I think it is a Pascal variant. Nice point an shoot GUIs like VB, but again, kind of a dead-end in many ways.

One thing about moving to VB.net is you would still have the point and shoot GUI builder. Yes, the C variants have them, but just not quite a slick as VB.

My vote: download NetBeans from Oracle and be done with it. Cheap (free). Would be Java though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 5.16.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 5.16.47 PM.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 8
Here you go
http://www.visualstudio.com/en-US/products/visual-studio-express-vs
You will most likely want Express 2013 for Windows or Express 2013 for Windows Desktop
You can then pick language I would suggest either Visual Basic or C#

I know of some people that are still using VB6 and the code does run on Windows 7 and 8. Faster then .net too :D

A not-so-oddball solution we do a lot with old stuff, clone your old machine into a virtual machine on your new machine. Then you can keep using your old VB. But honestly, that's just a stopgap and this is the perfect time to move to VB.NET or some other language. If you want an interesting challenge, do in JavaScript. Then it just runs in your browser.

I still use VisualBasic 6.0, installed on 64-bit Windows 7 machines. I use it at work quite a bit, not to write programs for general use, but for specific analysis tools. Mostly for my own use, but some get passed around. Wrote an orbit analysis/plotting tool in GW-BASIC back in the '80s, converted it to QuickBasic on the Mac then to VB as the company switched computer standards.

I fiddled with .net a few months ago, but was a bit dismayed that a lot of the features I used in VB 6.0 no longer existed. Was going to have to seriously re-work the user interface, and it just wasn't worth it.

Ron Wanttaja

Visual basic 6 will run on window 8. I have one client who is still using it. The VB4 stuff should run fine in VB6. The modern stuff is the VB.NET and later and that will require some reworking. I got all sorts of glue modules to allow the clients VB6 system to interact with more modern software modules.

I'd run Instrument Basic, but I'm not current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use wscript with a file. The extension is .vbs and is executable. Or open cscript and write onto the console. Both are vbscript interpreters.

Back