What did you do after achieving PPL?

For something to do....try to hit as many ga airports in your state. I've got 60 something in my state and my goal is to land at them all. I've got like 50 more to go.haha sign up with pilots n paws. Go after a tail wheel endorsement. Get spin training..go for the next rating. Lots to do! Go have fun and spread the enjoyment. And congrats on the accomplishment!!

Took up my friends and family... explained everything to all non-aviators (great self review)- then continued to drain bank account:goofy::goofy::goofy:

135hrs TT so-far- 45Hrs XC PIC!! At this rate a heroin addiction would be cheaper....Who cares, Ya Gotta Love Something..and for me THIS is IT!!!!

I took a couple friends up and then stopped flying. Picked it back up again 10 years later and fly as much as (or maybe slightly more than) I can afford.

I took my GF for a ride. She barfed and never flew in a small plane again as far as I know... haven't seen her in nearly 20 years. :D

So this is what I did immediately after getting my PPL. But to continue the story a bit longer as others have...

• About 3 months after getting my PPL... Bought a 1966 C172 and put about 150 hours on it over the next several years.
  • Quit flying from about 1999 through 2004 (got married and sold my 172 during that time)
  • Flew with the COWG CAP in the right seat and some dual from 2004 to about 2009 - good mountain and SAR experience.
  • Bought a 1979 TR182 in 2012 mostly for family XCs
  • Got my IR in 2014
I have a postulate... or theorem?... That whatever toys a guy owns when he gets married he automatically reserves the right later in life to own a toy like that again, other priorities permitting. I wish I'd had a motorcycle too - but I didn't own one when I got married. My wife is more scared of my owning a bike than a plane. :dunno:

So it was good that I owned an airplane at the time I got married. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I got my float addon, logged some float time, bought my Stinson, flew across te country, landed on some mountian strips and beaches, got my IFR, CPL SES, CPL SEL addon, got a job.

Back