Why are tugs so expensive?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Other than the fact they are sold to pilots, why are aircraft tugs so expensive?
I sold the 172 that I always just pushed up the ramp and over the door tracks into my hangar. I could probably push something just a little heavier, but I am planning to move up to something like a Bo that will be heavier so i am looking for a small, inexpensive tug motor but they are in the thousands of dollars. Am I looking in the wrong places or at the wrong things?

I just bought a Lil Sherman for the Cirrus... It was about 2400.. For a couple of months I refrained as it was expensive.. My FBO will park us in the hangar - if they are open.

I finally did it as I was tired of my plane sitting outside when I had a good hangar (plane too heavy on incline to push in)

So I laid down the money - way happy I did - the tug is great. But yaeh, it's expensive.... but as you said - it's sold to pilots. So I kinda think you answered your own question :)

You can try these guys. Looks like all they want is for phone calls and it's yours!
:)

...seriously, I don't know why airplane stuff is expensive. Limited production?

It's like most things in aviation, you can spend as much as you want and for some reason, many people turn it into a contest to see who can spend the most

At the sane end of the scale, I don't think $50 is too expensive for a used mower and a 2X4

Attachments

• tug.jpg
    tug.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 201
It's like most things in aviation, you can spend as much as you want and for some reason, many people turn it into a contest to see who can spend the most

At the sane end of the scale, I don't think $50 is too expensive for a used mower and a 2X4

I spent the big bucks once. Next time I have the need, the used mower will be the way I go.

I spent the big bucks once. Next time I have the need, the used mower will be the way I go.
Perhaps a golf cart. They could be used for other trans-airport purposes (the bathroom is a good long walk away, as is the FBO). But I haven't checked into the cost of golf carts yet.

Perhaps a golf cart. They could be used for other trans-airport purposes (the bathroom is a good long walk away, as is the FBO). But I haven't checked into the cost of golf carts yet.

If you have the room and want to spend a lot more, that's a good solution. But a good one is more than an A/C tug, but more useful. The used mower is a small fraction of a tug. A basic NEW riding mower is less than the cheapest hand tug available.

If you have the room and want to spend a lot more, that's a good solution. But a good one is more than an A/C tug, but more useful. The used mower is a small fraction of a tug. A basic NEW riding mower is less than the cheapest hand tug available.
Has anyone built an electric tug?
How big an electric motor would it take and could a 75' 12g extension cord be sufficient? Assuming it wouldn't melt the wiring or pop the breaker to the hangar?

How big an electric motor would it take and could a 75' 12g extension cord be sufficient? Assuming it wouldn't melt the wiring or pop the breaker to the hangar?

1/2hp would be more than sufficient, if you want to build a tug, look at the Sidewinder, not only does it work at home, you can take it with you. You can build it off a Sawzall.

I'm with Jeff, just get a real hydrostatic drive lawn mower.

I've thought about building one with the axle of a hydro lawn mower but with the steering set up like my power chair, and as much weight as possible on the axle for icy weather, using a simple frame. <Someday>

I'm with Jeff, just get a real hydrostatic drive lawn mower.

I've thought about building one with the axle of a hydro lawn mower but with the steering set up like my power chair, and as much weight as possible on the axle for icy weather, using a simple frame. <Someday>

Can't you just attach a hitch to your chair?

Do you ever need to taxi for fuel at your home base? You might wanna go bigger than that.

If I was still at Y03 I'd get something that can tow to the fuel pumps.

Pure tradeoff of time for power in the gear reduction. Remember that horsepower is work over time. I've seen hand tugs which were powered by drill motors. (Can't find the link right now.) I've used wirepulling gear which would pull 2+tons powered by a 1/2 HP drill motor. It's just slow.

Using 12 gauge for the extension is key though. Voltage drop and the resulting current increase will burn the motor up over time.

John

trailer hitch on the FRONT of the car or truck, then 10 ft pipe (something that won't easily bend) with the hitch connector on car end and appropriate connector on the airplane end. when I took my small/middle ford to the hitch shop they asked how big a trailer I'd be towing. Only 2400 pounds a total distance of about 20 ft. Got some strange looks.

Total cost (15 yrs ago) about $300 but that included the special welding on the pipe.

Because like you said, pilots will pay that much.

Personally I just push my plane.

If I need a tug I'll spend a few hours modding electric golf cart or a small lawn tractor.

How did you build your tow bar? like, how does it connect at both ends. I want to make that! :yes:

If the incline going INTO your hangar is the problem.. Then just mount a small 110v winch in the back of the hangar and lengthen the control cord so you can run it while steering the plane with the tow bar into the hangar..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_winches+ac-powered-winches

Coming out of the hangar will be easy pleasy, as gravity is your friend..;)

Rather than pushing, how about pulling the plane in with a winch at the back of the hangar?

Tim

Rather than pushing, how about pulling the plane in with a winch at the back of the hangar?

Tim
I thought about. Would the rear tie-down hook be suitable for that?

I shopped around on CL and bought a Toro lawn tractor. It had a bad connection to the clutch that picks the blade so I had to rewire that, and put two tubes in the tires. Total investment was about $220 and a long sat of work. Welded a brace on the front and I'm tugging with gusto. Also get to cut the grass in front of my hangar when the FBO gets bogged down.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/4724545769.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/4680949547.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/4762470561.html

Last edited:
I thought about. Would the rear tie-down hook be suitable for that?

Yeah, if it hangs up, quit winching, you can also attach the hook with a 'weak link', but I doubt it would help.

Yeah, if it hangs up, quit winching, you can also attach the hook with a 'weak link', but I doubt it would help.

Or use a 4:1 or 6:1 tackle blocks, less likely to do damage and super cheap

Guy in my EAA chapter built one. It used a Ryobi cordless drill as the power. Don't recall where he'd gotten the gears, etc. but I suspect Harbor Freight was involved.

Worked fine for his 182 on a relatively flat ramp.

Ron Wanttaja

Guy in my EAA chapter built one. It used a Ryobi cordless drill as the power. Don't recall where he'd gotten the gears, etc. but I suspect Harbor Freight was involved.

Worked fine for his 182 on a relatively flat ramp.

Ron Wanttaja

If you get an angle drive head, you don't even need gears. You can chuck up a wheel and strap it to a tow bar and let it drive the nose wheel through friction. Total cost with a good tool will be <$300.

I converted an old lawn tractor. Took out the mower deck and flipped the plate on the back upside down. It has a tow hitch. I bent a steel rod to fit the hole and to fit into the lower half of my tow bar. Drilled a hole to secure it and hooked it all up. I only use it to tow to the wash rack as my hangar is pretty level. I did buy a rotating yellow light and wired it in so when I'm riding around it flashes and I don't get run over.

Do you ever need to taxi for fuel at your home base? You might wanna go bigger than that.

If I was still at Y03 I'd get something that can tow to the fuel pumps.

Maybe THAT'S why so many pilots have been taxiing with their tow bar attached. :)

If the incline going INTO your hangar is the problem.. Then just mount a small 110v winch in the back of the hangar and lengthen the control cord so you can run it while steering the plane with the tow bar into the hangar..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_winches+ac-powered-winches

Coming out of the hangar will be easy pleasy, as gravity is your friend..;)

This is what I did in my hanger, and I found a wireless remote I could wire in so i could guide it in with the tow bar with one hand and control the winch with the other.

I also stop the winch once it is up the hill and push the last couple feet.

I used my self-propelled snow thrower. Spent about $25 at the hardware for a 2X4 and some brackets to fit my towbar. Worked fine.

I quit using that when I found a solution I like better: an old winch, bolted to the hangar floor, with a long cord for the on-off switch. Somebody gave me the winch for free, and I spent another $25 on the bolts, a long masonry drill bit.

Last edited:
I used my self-propelled snow thrower. Spent about $25 at the hardware for a 2X4 and some brackets to fit my towbar. Worked fine.

I quit using that when I found a solution I like better: an old winch, bolted to the hangar floor, with a long cord for the on-off switch. Somebody gave me the winch for free, and I spent another $25 on the bolts, a long masonry drill bit.

I wouldn't bother to bolt it, just epoxy it straight to the concrete.

I wouldn't bother to bolt it, just epoxy it straight to the concrete.

As someone who has inherited two hangars with winches permanently attached to the floor (thus saving me the time and expense of buying one and installing it myself), I 100% support this approach. :goofy:

As someone who has inherited two hangars with winches permanently attached to the floor (thus saving me the time and expense of buying one and installing it myself), I 100% support this approach. :goofy:
I wonder what the hangar owners would thing? I guess I could ask.

Lets see, fracture the concrete or not fracture the concrete, which would you prefer? Although in Daytona it doesn't get cold enough to matter.

A small winch like I linked to in a earlier post can be attached to any structural member in the back of the hangar with a cable /strap/ etc...

For less then 200.00 you can have a very efficient and safe way to pull the toy back into it's hangar..:):).......:yes:

Back