Teterboro (TEB) or Linden (LDJ)

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I am flying out to pickup a family member and these seem to be the closest "smaller" airports near the Brooklyn area where they live. What is the best choice in a 182?

In order of preference: Farmingdale (KFRG); maybe White Plains (KHPN); then Linden. Avoid TEB if you're not flying a turbine -- they don't want prop planes marring their ramps ($10/gal 100LL says that loud and clear).

In order of preference: Farmingdale (KFRG); maybe White Plains (KHPN); then Linden. Avoid TEB if you're not flying a turbine -- they don't want prop planes marring their ramps ($10/gal 100LL says that loud and clear).

Thanks!! I am not familiar with the city at all. How long would it take for them to travel to KFRG from Brooklyn area? seems like twice the distance compared to Linden.

Greenpoint...Probably about 45 minutes to KFRG without traffic

So prob. Linden should be my choice right? I am thinking since I am coming and going from/to the west and its closer. or is the traffic bad going to Linden?

So prob. Linden should be my choice right? I am thinking since I am coming and going from/to the west and its closer. or is the traffic bad going to Linden?

Linden can easily be 45 min from Greenpoint by car. Big question, are they getting to the airport by car or mass transit? LIRR runs right out past FRG. Metro North can get them to HPN.

The other thing is that the LDJ airspace is tight under the EWR shelf. Operationally, you may find it easier to get them at FRG even if its 10 min longer ride.

Don't do Linden.

FRG is easy with the LIRR like DJ says. FRG's an easier airport to operate from, and friendlier.

With Linden, the traffic can be terrible. You've got to either use the VZ Bridge (expensive) or go through Manhattan (expensive and would take forever).

Thought of flying into LGA? I believe it's actually not super expensive if landing before 8AM or after 9PM, and not parking (just pickup/dropoff).

Linden can easily be 45 min from Greenpoint by car. Big question, are they getting to the airport by car or mass transit? LIRR runs right out past FRG. Metro North can get them to HPN.

The other thing is that the LDJ airspace is tight under the EWR shelf. Operationally, you may find it easier to get them at FRG even if its 10 min longer ride.

Thanks for the info. Looks like FRG may be a bit out of their way unfortunately after talking with them. I may have to do TEB after all since its closer to where they work.

Which FBO is my best bet at TEB?

Don't do Linden.

FRG is easy with the LIRR like DJ says. FRG's an easier airport to operate from, and friendlier.

With Linden, the traffic can be terrible. You've got to either use the VZ Bridge (expensive) or go through Manhattan (expensive and would take forever).

Thought of flying into LGA? I believe it's actually not super expensive if landing before 8AM or after 9PM, and not parking (just pickup/dropoff).

I had not given any thought as to flying into LGA. I would definitely be within that time frame. likely 10:30 - 11 am.

Thanks for the info. Looks like FRG may be a bit out of their way unfortunately after talking with them. I may have to do TEB after all since its closer to where they work.

If they work near TEB, then you can probably pick them up at Caldwell (CDW). Or pay for their cab to CDW from TEB with the money you won't spend on fuel and ramp fees.

I've never flown into TEB, so I can't recommend an FBO. Safe flights.

If they work near TEB, then you can probably pick them up at Caldwell (CDW). Or pay for their cab to CDW from TEB with the money you won't spend on fuel and ramp fees.

I've never flown into TEB, so I can't recommend an FBO. Safe flights.

They work near the the southern end of central park somewhere.

Just landed in TEB today. Used Meridian. Nice place, but no experience on prices or quality of services for non-turbine.

Saw a few pistons. Wasn't sure if transient or based.

Just landed in TEB today. Used Meridian. Nice place, but no experience on prices or quality of services for non-turbine.

Saw a few pistons. Wasn't sure if transient or based.

Ok, thanks. looks like they may be more friendly to piston based on fuel prices.

Ok, thanks. looks like they may be more friendly to piston based on fuel prices.
They are fine for piston. Flew a baron in there a time or two. That's one of those airports where the "authorities" have you Bill stamped and in the mail before you turn around to leave.

Last edited:
He's right about the port authority. I forgot to mention it. They had a rep meet us at the base of the aircraft stairs before we could even get around the wing to unload the bags.

First time I've ever seen something like it.

KTEB is fine with pistons, just be on your a-game with radio.
From Brooklyn, KFRG is fastest and most convenient.
LDJ is a hole, avoid.

Do FRG, if you have never had the pleasure of trying to get over the Verrazano Bridge, and get across Staten island or try to get though Manhattan, which can take up to an hour or more depending how long it takes to get through the tunnels.

Well if he's only going to Brooklyn he wouldn't have to go over the VZ ($15) or into Manhattan. From FRG, Brooklyn is before either.

However, I agree, FRG is your best bet by car or LIRR. Check out this map, http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm. Your relatives are probably familiar with Atlantic Terminal, which is the last stop on that line. Plenty of cabs and buses there. I've only been there once. Had to change trains at Jamaica Station (same ticket).

When I pickup family and friends in NJ, I fly from FRG to Caldwell or Morristown, but my family in Brooklyn meet me at my house (Nassau Co.) and from there, we drive to FRG, which is anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic.

Teterboro has always been a PITA, even when there were a couple of flight schools there. That's where I took flight lessons (several factors went into that decision:rolleyes:) but we used to go over to MMU and CDW to practice landings/T&Gs.
I've never been to Linden.

I kinda miss TEB but I'm not paying those fees just to visit, even though my boss owns the joint:rofl:

Last edited:

Meridian has always treated me right.

You get a bill for iirc $16 from the port authority 2 weeks after you return. TEB is expensive, unless you buy 20gal of their overpriced fuel, the FBOs have a stiff ramp fee.

I've picked people up from NYC twice. I tell them to take the NJ line to Linden and either walk, or cab to the airport. There's no way I'm going out to the island coming from the west. They can grab a train from Penn station and be in Linden in ~30 min. If that's too much work to take a plane trip, then they can go to LGA and get on SWA.

LDJ is horrible, lots of birds, helo's and a 700' pattern altitude with airliners very close overhead. TEB isn't that bad, just don't fly like an idiot. If you're IFR, expect quite a bit of low altitude vectoring, and study the SID's closely. I don't find them to be complicated, but lots of people manage to screw them up. Going in/out VFR saves lots of time.

I've done TEB in a small piston, and had relatively low hours at the time (hell, still do). Pretty sure I used Meridian, topped off, parked for a couple of hours while having dinner with the friend I was dropping off.

The overpriced fuel didn't bother me much (as I was using a rental that had a "wet" reimbursement without a limit on fuel price -- they'll learn someday).

Uneventful, and with the top-off, the rest of the fees weren't outrageously expensive as I remember. Call them up and ask, and then add the $14 or whatever it is that the port authority bills you later.

I've been to Meridian at TEB several times and had good service. You are going to pay premium anywhere in the NYC area, but if you uplift enough fuel to waive the ramp fee Meridian isn't too bad price wise. For those of us who are budget concious they'll provide a lift to the bus station, so getting into the city is about $5 a person. You can connect to the subway from the PABT and get pretty much anywhere; alternatively, they'll set up a rental.

Flown into HPN as well but never to go into the city. I've avoided Linden due to reports from others. Several other airports on the Jersey side where you could save a few bucks like Essex County and Lincoln park but you'd probably spend more than the difference renting a car since public transit options are fewer. If you planned to rent anyway or have someone picking you up it might save a few bucks, but the drive will be longer.

Thanks everyone. At this point I am leaning towards TEB and leaving the option open for FRG.

LDJ is horrible, lots of birds, helo's and a 700' pattern altitude with airliners very close overhead. TEB isn't that bad, just don't fly like an idiot.

That's pretty funny. 'Don't fly like an idiot, and TEB is ok', but the same advice doesn't apply to LDJ? I rarely fly like an idiot and the pattern, helos, or birds don't bother me a bit. Oh, and there's never birds around TEB, what with the Passaic, and Hackensack rivers bounding the field. :lol:

Thanks everyone. At this point I am leaning towards TEB and leaving the option open for FRG.

I've never done it but getting from TEB to Brooklyn sounds like more of a hassle to me if you're taking public transportation, and driving from New Jersey through Manhattan into Brooklyn, can be a pure nightmare, especially during anything other than the wee hours in the night! Trust me :lol:

How do I know? I do the reverse (daily), roundtrip. I live on Long Island but work in Jersey (around the clock). The Brooklyn Bridge is closed for repairs on the weekend, forcing all traffic to the Manhattan & Williamsburg bridges. Also, they just dropped the entire NYC speed limit down to 25mph (all five boroughs), screwing up traffic even more.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I've picked people up from NYC twice. I tell them to take the NJ line to Linden and either walk, or cab to the airport. There's no way I'm going out to the island coming from the west. They can grab a train from Penn station and be in Linden in ~30 min. If that's too much work to take a plane trip, then they can go to LGA and get on SWA.

I have to agree with you. I tell them to meet me at the airport. No way am I coming to pick you up and bring you to the plane. Unless you live really close or I actually want to visit your home, as is the case when I visit my sister near Atlantic City. There is no GA airport close to Brooklyn, anymore.

Except
Floyd Bennet Field :D
:D

Last edited:
For the record, I always fly into HPN, even though I'm coming up from the south. If it's VFR, the trip up the Hudson each way makes the extra distance worth it. It also helps that my sis lives just a few miles alway.

That said, whenever this topic comes up, everyone always seems to poo-poo LDJ. Being based at VKX, a stone's throw from DCA, overhead airline traffic and low tight patterns don't bother me much. OK, getting in and out IFR is a pain, same as it is at home. Bird and helicopters? Nothing special there. Ve heard people say they're "Jerky Boys" rude...OK, I don't need much, just a place to park the plane...I can figure the rest out.

I've read the Airnav reviews. They pizzed off a lot of people when they jacked their rates for the Redbull air races.

None of the options around NYC are great...so why not LDJ if it's relatively close to transit and fees aren't exorbitant? Or are they?

Teb has the port authority running around on the ground getting the tail numbers they missed on the radio. They bill you too. I would have to look and see what the last one came in at. You might be able to call them and ask them what they charges to land there are.

Read this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0EGbHruXhiDmgwo_A&sig2=tdk_B39KYHAzSUx5FeLgUQ
I recently dropped some passengers at Newark KEWR. The Port Authority charges were expected and all but we somehow escaped them. The T-storm that broke out overhead while we dined at the Spanish Tavern probably had something to do with it. A line of storms appeared to block departures to the east and southwest. They were parking departures after they left the gates. When I called up they put me first in line for an immediate departure for home near KRDU. I understand that the Port charges are initiated on departure and I think we somehow skipped the trigger.

I normally fly into White Plains or occasionally Caldwell when doing NYC. I wouldn't do Teterboro or LaGuardia or Newark (despite my excellent experience there). Never flown into Linden or Farmingdale but I've lived in NYC and would 2nd the advice to either do Farmingdale or Caldwell. You won't be stressed flying or on the ground at either place.

But on the other hand if you are on top of your flying game, flying IFR in particular, and otherwise up for potential challenges, go for wherever you like.

I tend to pay zero attention to NYC non-pilot family and friends relative to airport choice.

Lindens not all that bad. You can take a cab to the train and take the train to Port Authority. That's on 42nd st. Very easy, and fairly close to where you could renedez-vous with your relatives. I used to take the bus to TEB when I was taking lessons there. It could be an inconvenience if you don't like walking .

. I used to take the bus to TEB when I was taking lessons there. It could be an inconvenience if you don't like walking .

Meridian will give you a ride to the bus stop, and I'd be willing to bet the others will too---of course, be prepared to wait outside for a while!

Back