NorCal Meetings Eternal page

I'll be there as well, around 10. Looks like it's near the 10R numbers.

West side, ask the tower for the breakfast. You have to walk all the way through the hargar to the street entrance to pay. At least the last few times I was there.....six freaking months ago..!

Dr Allen Priest is who I went to. He is a pilot. He was recommended to me by my neighbor who is a FO for southwest for whatever that is worth.

Can anyone recommend a good AME near Sac? Mine retired and I don't want some nonpilot like the last time I just winged it....
Thanks!

I'll be there as well, around 10. Looks like it's near the 10R numbers.

Hey! Good to see ya but briefly! Next month come visit inside. Am always with local friends and often the Modesto polticos he knows.
Do you know its been since January we lunched at Bebes and I was having that missing issue? Turned into a complete engine overhaul. Running nice now but added a bunch of horsepower an am still working out the cooling....
See ya next get-together somewhere. Maybe KHAF when they clear up!

Hey! Good to see ya but briefly! Next month come visit inside. Am always with local friends and often the Modesto polticos he knows.
Do you know its been since January we lunched at Bebes and I was having that missing issue? Turned into a complete engine overhaul. Running nice now but added a bunch of horsepower an am still working out the cooling....
See ya next get-together somewhere. Maybe KHAF when they clear up!

I got there around 10, saw your plane and recognized the tail number so I walked in and looked around for ya. John and a friend of his arrived at 10:30 and we ate, the pecan 'cakes were good!
Good to hear your plane is running well.
We definitely gotta get another get-together going, either HAF or CAF lunch or wherever.

Sorry I couldn't make it flyingriki, I had a couple of friends from out of town that wanted to do the bay tour---even though we didn't get to see much due to haze + fog.

Any trips this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading up to test my new prop but Half Moon Bay looks nice this weekend. Clear already this morning....

Anyone going to the capital airshow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to the area and will be flying out of Reid Hillview. I heard there's several ways to do the Bay tour. What's the easiest for a newbie (both to the area and my ppl) like me? And while I'm at it, what other short trips should I be planning to get used to the area?

I'm new to the area and will be flying out of Reid Hillview. I heard there's several ways to do the Bay tour. What's the easiest for a newbie (both to the area and my ppl) like me? And while I'm at it, what other short trips should I be planning to get used to the area?

Follow I-280 at 3500 all the way to San Francisco. Make sure to contact San Jose Tower before crossing 101 or 680. Expect B clearance before crossing 92 (between the lakes). You'll have at least three handoffs possibly more.

Reverse to return.

You can also follow 101 (remain on the WEST/SOUTH side inside Class B) at 1500 or 3500, but you'll have more handoffs, so it's not easiest. 3500 also crosses into B much earlier there, and that's pretty close to the SFO 28L ILS, so you may have some dodging to do).

Last edited:
Very helpful, thanks. What do you do after you fly over the city? I'll still be in Bravo, so I assume they'll want me to stick to a predictable route.

Very helpful, thanks. What do you do after you fly over the city? I'll still be in Bravo, so I assume they'll want me to stick to a predictable route.

Almost all the City is below Class B at 2000. Descend out. You can do pretty much anything short of aerobatics or buzzing sailboats north of the Bay Bridge.

Even inside, you can tell NorCal what you want to do, and they'll accommodate if able. It's a pretty low key B. Likely restriction is to stay west of 101, and that's it. Just don't surprise them.

Almost everyone overflies the Golden Gate Bridge. Downtown is nice, but off limits during a Giants game. A circle around Alcatraz is nice.

A return through Oakland is nice as well, but it's lower altitude, so watch the winds. You must be able to identify the Coliseum. It's inside Class C and NorCal will almost always let you through the TFR if there is an A's game (they would have to close OAK otherwise).

Thanks again! I can't wait to try this out. I also hope I can make one of your meet-ups at some point.

Kinda short notice, but I'm meeting up with John (Clearprop) today (Sunday) around noon at Sky Lounge at Santa Rosa.
Anyone else in?

Mighty pretty girls working there - enjoy!

I tried to get into HAF around noon, but there was a light layer just hanging there on the coast at around 1500 feet, so I only made it as far as the Golden Gate and then redirected to Petaluma for lunch. It was BUSY yesterday in the air.

I tried to get into HAF around noon, but there was a light layer just hanging there on the coast at around 1500 feet, so I only made it as far as the Golden Gate and then redirected to Petaluma for lunch. It was BUSY yesterday in the air.

Funny thing, I tried it last Sunday expecting to find "scattered at 1,300." When I got there I found "broken at 1,300" and decided I couldn't land legally, so I buggered off.

Funny thing, I tried it last Sunday expecting to find "scattered at 1,300." When I got there I found "broken at 1,300" and decided I couldn't land legally, so I buggered off.

Yeah, it sucks, but that is how mid airs happen, playing around in that stuff VFR and as you mentioned, it isn't legal.

Yeah, it sucks, but that is how mid airs happen, playing around in that stuff VFR and as you mentioned, it isn't legal.

I probably could have made minimums no problem with an LPV approach, except my plane isn't /G equipped. They do not appear to have the VOR approaches anymore, so that wasn't an option either.

Hey guys,
I just passed IFR written on Friday. Can you please point to the most efficient way of completing the rating. I have a C-172 with a glide slope, VOR, DME and Marker beacon and two radios. Also, I recently have bought a saitek sim yoke, rudder paddle and controls.

Questions: 1.Should invest more money and complete the simulator with Panel etc?
2. Can I and should I use my C172 for training. (I am looking to buy a 4-6 s seater plane next to accomodate my 4 children and wife)
3. Should I deal with a CFII directly or enrol in a school at RHV

You guys have have been awesome in encouraging a new pilot like me. Bye the way last weekend I flew to Fullerton with kids, then took two of my friends to Montgomery San diego and back before flying back to RHV the Next day. It would have impossible without the valuable advice from you guys.
Thanks

Depends on how fast you wanna do it. Standard CFII is gonna be longer process than a structured school which is gonna be longer than an intensive course. All depends on how you learn best along with your schedule and finances.

I recently used Professional Instrument Courses where they send a CFI to you for 10 days and highly recommend them if you have your own plane. They have the system down to a science. Cap'n Ron on this board is one of their instructors.

http://www.iflyifr.com/

And heck yes use your own plane! Just make sure everything is IFR certified. That will save you a ton of money and you will want to know your plane intimately for the IFR check ride.

Personally, I have a SIM set up and the instructor came with a certified SIM and other than learning holds and procedure turns, I hated it for actual IFR training and pushed for more flight time rather than SIM time since I owned my plane. I would not invest any $$ into a sim. Save it for Avgas!

If you get going and ever need a safety pilot, let me know...got a pretty flexible schedule.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice shawn!

You have always been very helpful. It will be great if you could be a safety pilot for me. I will update you as soon as I get going.

Thanks for the advice shawn!

You have always been very helpful. It will be great if you could be a safety pilot for me. I will update you as soon as I get going.

I'm based at RHV as well and have nothing to say but good things about the instrument instructor I used. If you would like his information PM me and I'll get it to you. I'd use him again without question.

Have done that more than once.....

How ya doing John? Weren't you looking for a new plane? Good luck with that. Get a good pre-buy!

Have done that more than once.....

How ya doing John? Weren't you looking for a new plane? Good luck with that. Get a good pre-buy!

I have had two fall out of pre buy so far. There is a lot of junk out there. I am on a 6 week tour of the East Coast right now, for work. I don't get home until the end of October.

Last minute but I'm doing a KHAF run tomorrow, weather permitting. Supposed to be nice.

Tempting….

But the show is running now. I may have some time Saturday afternoon, but that's it.

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to do any flying. HAF is perfect.

And the weather is phenomenal all over the region. A bit warm, but 50+ mile visibility.

I'm flying up to sac and probably having lunch at sac exec if anyone's interested.

Sam

Lance
N4371F

Speaking of Sac, Sac is going to be out of commission for a while. Been out of the country for a couple weeks, should get back some time next month, hopefully.

I grew up in Grass Valley,Ca ( airport KGOO) My father and brother learned how to fly out of that airport. I learned in Oceanside,Ca. ( L-32 *the old code) and currently fly out of (KSDL) I have never landed at KGOO yet. would love to before I croke!
Also would like to fly into KSMF....

Anyone here about A-Hart locking its doors and dissapearing the other day. Used to be a good school, got sold and the new owner turned it into a 141 style international school. The other day people showed up for work and training. doors locked, phone disconnected, website gone...sucks for the guy I heard about who had a checkride in 5 days. Ugh...people are bastards sometimes.

FYI, I was at Watsonville yesterday and discovered the airport found a new restaurant. The rumor is that it will be a second site for Ella's, an eastside Watsonville Italian eatery, to open in January. I don't go to the eastside much, so I haven't tried it.

Back