King Air crashes into building at Wichita

My first thought is a Vmc roll. Not sure what would cause it, but I'm guessing most likely not a fuel issue...

Just was told about it by one of my training captains. Not to sound selfish, but of course it had to happen just days before I'm scheduled to go there for my upgrade training...

Jesus. Has anyone heard from Teller? I'm pretty sure that is his building.

As far as I know Teller works over on the Beechcraft side.

live atc archive has him declaring an emergency saying his left engine died. this was about 1 minute after he was cleared for takeoff.

well beechcraft and cessna are all one now. most of my friends are "cessna" pilots though. can't say that i know many or any of the company pilots at beech.

Friend of mine was flying demo flights in the 350 all over the worls, but I haven't heard form him since 2011 about the time things were going south at Hawker beech. No idea if he is still flying for them or not.

Very sad, hope the injured recover quickly. May the deceased rest in peace.

I heard from him; he's safe. As Tony said, he's at the Beechcraft center. The Cessna center was the one impacted.

Great. Thanks. Please give him my best - I'm very glad he's safe.

Not long ago a 200 crashed on takeoff , killing everyone on board. Findings were that it was indeed a fuel issue and the pilot neglected to drain several critical sumps before takeoff. This might be similar. Anyone fly one , that can shed light? ( see faa accident reports)

Very sad day for the aviation world. Scary, I was supposed to be out at ICT this morning...I'm waiting for the details, praying none of the injured/dead were people I know...either way, very very sad, my condolences to everyone involved...

Very sad indeed! I work for flightsafety at another location and never gave a second thought about something like this. It's definently a real concern!

Very sad indeed! I work for flightsafety at another location and never gave a second thought about something like this. It's definently a real concern!

You work for flight safety and never gave an engine out on take off a second thought!? What do you do at flight safety?

You work for flight safety and never gave an engine out on take off a second thought!? What do you do at flight safety?

Nope sure haven't, not to the point of a plane coming in my building. Though I'm on a military base, not that it matters. I'm a simulator technician.

Last edited:
Please guys, lets leave the speculation to others that are better at it, like the news media. It doesn't help anyone to guess from a few basic facts until more information comes in. We're pilots here, don't drag yourselves down to their level.

By the way I have flown King Airs some and I've gone to Flight Safety in that building for Citations too.

Please guys, lets leave the speculation to others that are better at it, like the news media. It doesn't help anyone to guess from a few basic facts until more information comes in. We're pilots here, don't drag yourselves down to their level.

By the way I have flown King Airs some and I've gone to Flight Safety in that building for Citations too.

Especially since one of our own board members works at a FSI facility in Wichita.

I worked in a CDC building that was adjacent to KPDK. When I first got there, I asked about offsite backups for our work and was surprised to find none were being done. that surprised me because the first thing I thought of was what would happen if a bizjet came into our building and set 500 gallons of jet fuel on fire.

Is this the north building or the south building? I've been in the south building many times and almost certainly still know people who work there.

Last edited:
Mainstream media now reporting the pilot survived.

That is good although I am not sure I would want to survive once I know the full extent of the damage to life and property. I could not imagine that kind of mental pain. I hope he/she recovers fully though.

David

That is good although I am not sure I would want to survive once I know the full extent of the damage to life and property. I could not imagine that kind of mental pain. I hope he/she recovers fully though.

David

Oof.. yeah. Now where's that "Liability" thread at?

The pilot was killed. They found him on the roof.

David

The pilot, unfortunately, was found deceased. I knew him somewhat well, really nice guy...Mark Goldstein was his name...very sad day:(

"KSN has learned the pilot of the plane was 53-year-old Mark Goldstein. He was retired FAA controller who was recognized for his safety efforts by the National Air Traffic Controllers Association."

Last edited:

Thank you. Nothing upsets me more here than the immediate posts of "do you think this happened?" & "do you think that happened" & "no, I think this happened!" when there's a crash. I don't understand why people feel that they need to make wild unsubstantiated speculations after every crash.

Wait for the report.

Another thing wrong with the "fact" in the linked article... the FSI facility he hit was for Cessna Citations and Caravans, not Beech products.

I believe someone posted on another board that new engines were just installed on the plane at the Beech service center. Perhaps another case of maintenance induced failure? Hopefully they'll be able to determine something from the debris, but with such an extensive fire there might not be enough evidence.

Thank you. Nothing upsets me more here than the immediate posts of "do you think this happened?" & "do you think that happened" & "no, I think this happened!" when there's a crash. I don't understand why people feel that they need to make wild unsubstantiated speculations after every crash.

Wait for the report.

Who cares? It's human nature to speculate, and you're probably doing it in your head right now.

Considering we know he departed Runway 1R, declared an emergency due to a left engine failure, and crashed into a building to the left of the runway....it seems fairly obvious what happened. The chain of events and contributing factors (why did the engine fail, etc) are what we don't really know.

Last edited:

Wait for the report.
I personally feel that, so long as people don't make blind accusations and such, that it is still helpful. With many minds talking and thinking through the various scenarios, we all benefit by freshening up on proper procedures and may even learn new techniques and such. Perfect example in the "this just in" thread, which the discussion prompted somebody to ask about if a Vmc roll tends toward the live or dead engine. Again, the discussions are getting people to think about and learn more about various situations to improve their knowledge and skill.

Back