Great Lakes/Midwest Meet-Up

We're getting instruction in the plane that day, so don't think we'll make it. Of course, I may pull an EdFred! :)

There's the crazy concept that you can get instruction while doing a cross country.

I'm not sure, but I think the feds may even require some training like that, but don't quote me on it. ;)

There's the crazy concept that you can get instruction while doing a cross country.

I'm not sure, but I think the feds may even require some training like that, but don't quote me on it. ;)

That sounds like absolute balderdash!

If the feds require it, it must be a bad unfunded federal mandate! They're only requiring it to line their own pocketbooks and add unnecessary regulations! JUST SAY NO! :yikes:

LOL
We'll see!

Is that like pulling your finger?

Ed Fred:

pull-my-finger-demotivational-poster-1216127181.jpg

We'd play that game with Winters, but we don't know *where* his finger has been.

It appears as if the weather for those of us coming in from the west is going to be spectacular tomorrow!

They just now (12z update) inserted some moderate cloud cover into the forecast to the east of Indy, but it still looks do-able and will improve as the day progresses.

I'm ready!

No Leslie?

(I mean, "Yippee!")

(I mean, "I'm glad you're coming, Grant! Will Leslie be joining us?")
No, she's arriving back from Vegas this evening, and she has something else on Saturday morning. I'll be there with my instructor, presuming VFR weather. The plane isn't currently IFR legal due to lack of a clock!

No, she's arriving back from Vegas this evening, and she has something else on Saturday morning. I'll be there with my instructor, presuming VFR weather. The plane isn't currently IFR legal due to lack of a clock!

Is this the Dakota (I think thats what you said at the weather seminar) that you are moving into?
How do you like it?

How was the renting of the 182 from Clow and availability? Other than the price, the rental restrictions seem decent-ish.

I'm on also. Departing from EKM.

Still undecided on the next stop before heading home. Plane is scheduled until the evening, so going to try and make a full day of it.

Maybe Kalamazoo, maybe Dayton, maybe Grissom. Open for suggestions as well.

Is this the Dakota (I think thats what you said at the weather seminar) that you are moving into?
How do you like it?

How was the renting of the 182 from Clow and availability? Other than the price, the rental restrictions seem decent-ish.

Yes. Technically it's not a Dakota, it's a Cherokee 235C. It's going to have the clock replaced so it will be IFR capable.

We really like the 182 at Clow. Availability is good, and it's a great, reliable traveling machine. Had it to Mackinac Island, Connecticut, Bahamas, Key West, Daytona a Beach, New Orleans, Gastons, etc.

Last edited:
And ... I'm looking at a bunch of scuzz to (not) fly through. Coupled with a tight time window for the trip.

Will decide shortly, as I need to leave for the airport in 10 min.

Supposed to be breaking up around Noon eastern. I'm filed at 4000

I know ... It'll be fine, eventually. But, I've got something else here this afternoon/evening; so I'd want to be launching out of KEYE around 18:30z.
Current/launch conditions, tight timeline and sporty ride ... Blech. Not exactly a pleasure trip. I'm out. :-(

The band is coming through here at EKM, but by the time it passes over, we'd have to come through it to get there. Winds picking up later this afternoon, so...we're out.

Try again tomorrow for us, anyway. Have a great meetup to those who make it. Be safe up there!

Talked to Winters, and he is on his way. I'm waiting for the database to update, and we will be heading out at well.

Winters an I timed arrivals perfectly. I was 1.5 mile final when he was on crosswind. Waiting on Grant now...

Two Columbus vagabonds have just arrived.

How did it go? Pics? It was bumpy up here today

It sucked!

The air was as smooth as silk.

Spent a few horrible hours with both old friends and new.

The food was marvelously terrible don't ya know!

We ate OUTSIDE in shirtsleeves and light jackets in late October @ Indy...absolutely horrible!

And this was the sucky view from our table!

:goofy:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Well. At least I feel better about not going now. You are a real friend.

:)

Glad it worked out!

Really wish we could have made it, but it just wan't going to happen.

The rental was out at EKM. At 800 local it was gorgeous. We got out there at 900 local and it was 3 miles and 1000' agl. We waited for 2 hours and it went to 2 miles at 600' agl, so we closed the doors.

I drove back to VPZ, and it was clear as a bell! Going to try and get up tomorrow morning, should be better.

Glad to hear everyone had fun!

Leslie and I and our instructor Joe Zubay had a wonderful time in Indianapolis with friends; old for Leslie and I, new for Joe. After we got back, we had dinner with MikeA and his lady friend. I am now checked out in the plane, and Leslie only has about three quarters of an hour left before she is too. Yay!

The flight was good, other than coming in to KEYE and finding ourselves nose-to-nose with a plane departing 21 as we were arriving on 3. Not a big deal, as we moved over to accommodate them at about the same time they aborted. Guess the sign that says runway 3 preferred in crosswind conditions didn't really impact them too much.

After leaving, we saw a nice Mooney relatively close, as in within a half mile at 4,500'. We just held our climb and diverted a bit behind him.

In other words, it all worked the way it's supposed to!

Great seeing Tim, Brad, Diz, Ed, Steingar and China. Sorry a bunch couldn't make it, but safety first! We need to do it again!

Diz took a few pictures, that she'll hopefully post after getting signed releases from all involved! :)

And I have to say that Eagle Creek Aviation at KEYE was great! No hassles at all, nice restrooms, and they offered us bottled water to take with us. It appears that the ramp fees there are a thing of the past, too! Their SS fuel prices were very good too, though I admit we didn't avail ourselves of them. Next time we probably will, as they're lower than our home base!

Last edited:
Back