best chocks to travel with?

The previous owner of my cherokee took 8 inch long 2x2s, nailed 3 pieces together in a U shape. Made 3 of them. Painted bright orange and used a fat magic marker to write the N number on each.

Works for me.

dunno what is best but I have cheap wood chocks and they seem fine

I've seen LSA guys use PVC pipe

put your aircraft number on whatever you get

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a pair of chocks, any recommendations? Currently looking at aluminum angle and rubberized.

I made my own aluminum angles with a few dollars worth of metal from the hardware store, a hacksaw and a Scotchbrite wheel! Drilled a hole in each and put 6" or so of rope to keep them together. I think I got three sets out of a few dollar purchase. Worked great for years and weighed nothing and took up no space in the back.

My travel chocks are an 8" or so length of cedar 4x4", cut diagonally, held together with a light cord. They are lightweight and do the job.

None.

Get it?

None chocks?

Sorry, thought Bruce Lee was the OP

The previous owner of my cherokee took 8 inch long 2x2s, nailed 3 pieces together in a U shape. Made 3 of them. Painted bright orange and used a fat magic marker to write the N number on each.

Works for me.

This is exactly what I did.
I beveled them so as the plane rolls, it tries to lift itself / push the chock down

Also I coated the bottom in grip tape

I have these. They are very light weigh and they nest inside one another to be compact. They have worked well for me, but I admit that I am not a world traveler with my plane and they haven't been tested much under strong winds or anything.

1985-2.jpg

Get the heavy solid rubber ones, the type you'll see at most FBOs.

The fancy folding numbers are crap when really put to the test.

Make some with inexpensive PVC tubing and elbow fittings.

DSCN7382.JPG

Don't work well, even worse than the aluminum ones.

Worst to best:

PVC pipe, total crap, will slide, easy to run over too
Aluminum ones, slide easily, scratch stuff, over priced and too light
Square wood, still slides
Triangle wood, better
Heavy rubber chocks, best bet, it's what you'll see all the pros and high dollar stuff using.

Best chocks.
image.jpg

I have these. They are very light weigh and they nest inside one another to be compact. They have worked well for me, but I admit that I am not a world traveler with my plane and they haven't been tested much under strong winds or anything.

1985-2.jpg

Those Airgizmos came with my plane, and they are good. They weigh nothing, they are rubberized for more friction, and they store nested as shown in the photo.

If I didn't have them I would be happy also with wood blocks cut to about the same dimensions and triangular shape.

Last edited:
The big 7.00x8 tires on the Navion require pretty big chocks if they are to be useful at all. I have an aluminum pair from sporty's. It's actually rare I go somewhere that I need chocks. They'll either have them or I'll tie down.

That's what I did ...

Make some with inexpensive PVC tubing and elbow fittings.

DSCN7382.JPG

Just like these, but the Schedule 80 Tubing and 3/4 instead of 1/2".

Don't work well, even worse than the aluminum ones.

Worst to best:

PVC pipe, total crap, will slide, easy to run over too

Mine have been great, and I live in a high wind area. I've never had the plane move. On the other hand, I do have them for all three tires. In 5 years I've never had one stolen.

Best chocks.

They look good, I've had friends complain of losing their chocks and their pitot cover on over nights using these ...

I was able to get a single 18" triangular rubber chock for $25 shippped. I figure I'll saw it in half, add some rope, and call it good. Thanks for the suggestions!

dunno what is best but I have cheap wood chocks and they seem fine

put your aircraft number on whatever you get

That's what I use for any plane under 100 hp. Took an 15 inch long section of a 4" x 4" PCV square "post", cut it diagonally from corner to corner along its length, yielding two chocks, drilled a hole in each end and added rope to make front and back of the wheel chocks. Did it again for the other wheel. Total weight -- so light I didn't even bother to weigh them.

I keep an old pair of nunchuks in my plane as either chocks or self-defense in case I crash in a 1980s ninja movie. :thumbsup:

Like Loren, pair of aluminum angles and some cord tying them together.

My pants require a low-profile chock, most ramp chocks are too big.
(Ok, that reads funny)

I briefly considered aluminum angles and plastidip, but that started to sound like work...

I thought about getting some but usually either I'm parking on a ramp in relatively calm wind for a couple hours, then leaving. In which case the parking brake seems to be ok... or I'm actually tying it down in which case chocks shouldn't be needed so much.

At least this is my line of reasoning.

When PVC posts (square, not round) are cut at the diagonal corners they have the typical triangular shape, but open at the bottom. Rather than slipping, they hunker down and become even more determined to stay put.

The aluminum ones with the bungees are light and work great. They ALL work. But light is good, right?

Back