drone taken out midflight

Well, for those who are inclined to shoot them down, this video demonstrates a better solution for unwanted drones.

Raptors.

The birds mastered flight long before we did. And occasionally they like to remind us of that fact, whether it be in a full size aircraft or the latest new toy.

This was one of my less shining moments with my prior drone. I wanted to get some photos of the nesting geese on my lake. I would never intentionally do what I did in this video. I was flying from quite far away and unable to really tell how close I was getting. I thought I was further away from the nest, and I thought I was higher than I was. I couldn't detect the sink as quickly.

Papa goose was not amused by my stupidity and he took it out. Not on video is the 30 minute ordeal retrieving it from the swamp at the edge of the lake. The goose wouldn't let me near it to retrieve it. So while standing in the lake with freezing cold water and mud up to my knees, I had to use a 12ft long tree branch to hook the skids, lift it up, and swing it over the shore where my neighbor was waiting to grab it.

Lessons learned.

And this was the final demise of my old drone. Prop failure in flight from about 160ft. Careened through the trees tearing itself to pieces. It took 2 days to collect all the parts in the woods. It looked like it rained aircraft parts in a 50ft radius around the main heap of wreckage.

Don't mess with a Hawk! I'm sure we'll be seeing many more of these videos.

I was dog fighting with a couple of crows a couple of weeks ago. I was flying a home built 3D model with a 36 inch wingspan when a couple of crows attacked it. I did a tumbling maneuver\reversal and then started chasing them around the field. The weren't expecting that. Crows can't do vertical, so they were a little outclassed. Of course, I have no idea what I would do if I actually caught up with them. I really need to put cameras on some of my models.

I was dog fighting with a couple of crows a couple of weeks ago. I was flying a home built 3D model with a 36 inch wingspan when a couple of crows attacked it. I did a tumbling maneuver\reversal and then started chasing them around the field. The weren't expecting that. Crows can't do vertical, so they were a little outclassed. Of course, I have no idea what I would do if I actually caught up with them. I really need to put cameras on some of my models.

Funny!

Back