Youth Headsets

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Anyone have experience with youth headsets? Seems like they are all cheap and have mixed reviews. Priced between $100 and $160 and generally plastic. My 3 y/o has a set of adult Flightcoms that keep falling off his head.

Looking for non ANR recommendations...:yes:

I had an "extra" David Clark 10-13.4 headset when my son started flying with me (1.5 years old).
I called the David Clark company to ask what was specifically different about their youth model headset as I was considering purchasing one. They told me the only difference between the standard 10-13.4 and the youth model was the head spring size.
Then they did something unheard of......the kind representative I was speaking with said " I will be happy to send you the stuff to convert your existing headset if you like".
I said "OK, how much I owe you?"
She said "Don't worry about it. We are happy you are using our products" .

Needless to say, I'm a big DC fan.

They work great. He actually likes them and never minded wearing them when he was small. Been using them 5 years now.

Come on over. :)

There you go.
Shane, offer a set of youth-fitting ANR headsets at affordable price and you've got a market that doesn't have a lot of competition!

PS: Decorate them with graphics images that appeal to kids and you've got something that'll sell.

Last edited:
I had an "extra" David Clark 10-13.4 headset when my son started flying with me (1.5 years old).
I called the David Clark company to ask what was specifically different about their youth model headset as I was considering purchasing one. They told me the only difference between the standard 10-13.4 and the youth model was the head spring size.
Then they did something unheard of......the kind representative I was speaking with said " I will be happy to send you the stuff to convert your existing headset if you like".

They work great. He actually likes them and never minded wearing them when he was small. Been using them 5 years now.

This is exactly why I am a loyal fan of David Clark.

I had good service from this unit. So much so that my wife would grab that one over an adult-sized headset when our daughter was not flying with us. One useful feature was the 3.5mm aux audio input jack on the earcup (for MP3, DVD or portable game sounds), and included patch cable.

I had good service from this unit. So much so that my wife would grab that one over an adult-sized headset when our daughter was not flying with us. One useful feature was the 3.5mm aux audio input jack on the earcup (for MP3, DVD or portable game sounds), and included patch cable.

I got these for the step kids. They seem to work well. Plastic ear cups, though.

shouldn't it be red and green instead of red and blue? and shouldn't the read earcup be on the left?

:goofy:

What do you guys think about the QT Halos? Prob I have is his current set falls off when he falls asleep or they wander and slip sideways. He has a Lightspeed set and DCs....both won't stay put.

I love my Clarity Alofts. My daughter is sensitive to loud noises (amplified music, concert, wedding DJs -- though her tolerance is increasing) and has successfully used foam plugs on those occasions. If I was still flying, I might consider giving the CAs with slim tips a try on her.

Bottom line, only you can tell if your kid will tolerate 'in the ear canal' enough to leave them on.

What do you guys think about the QT Halos? Prob I have is his current set falls off when he falls asleep or they wander and slip sideways. He has a Lightspeed set and DCs....both won't stay put.

Buy a couple of foam ear plugs and do a test run. If he keeps them in, that's most of the battle.

Good point....I've got some soft foam plugs at home we will give a go at.

I love my Clarity Alofts. My daughter is sensitive to loud noises (amplified music, concert, wedding DJs -- though her tolerance is increasing) and has successfully used foam plugs on those occasions. If I was still flying, I might consider giving the CAs with slim tips a try on her.

Bottom line, only you can tell if your kid will tolerate 'in the ear canal' enough to leave them on.

Have you tried the CAs and the QTs? The CAs are $200 more and I'm not seeing the exterior difference.

Originally Posted by DJTorrente
I got these for the step kids. They seem to work well. Plastic ear cups, though.

I third those. Both of my 2 kids have them. My older one can hook her ipod up and play music/games through it.

Have you tried the CAs and the QTs? The CAs are $200 more and I'm not seeing the exterior difference.

When I bought my CAs I didn't know about QT (not sure they were even on the market at the time). I was comparing to Lightspeed Mach 1, another 'in the ear canal' solution that I didn't care for and didn't seem to last long on the market. I've never tried the QT so I can't compare. Key difference I see is rubber tip (QT) vs. viscoelastic foam (CA).

ETA: Asechrest reminded me - have you thought about just using passive hearing protection? How much do you really expect to converse with the kid while in flight? It didn't take long before my eldest daughter was flying with the mic. cable unplugged. After buying the PilotUSA unit for her and having that experience, for the second one I just spent <$20 on a pair of Kid Peltor passive ear muffs.

Last edited:
I have the QT Halos for myself. And while I have no experience with the CAs, it's hard for me to imagine being much happier with a headset. Also, they come with foam and rubber tips. You can use whichever suit you.

we have a pair of the red and blue ones, and color is important to getting the kids to actually wear them. If we'd have gotten the pink ones, daughter #1 would have been all over it but when handed down to daughter #2 it would have been time to break out the paint can

I emailed QT and he said absolutely no kids under 5 should use the Halos because the volume level issue.

My three year old is chatty in the back seat and even mimics me when I'm working my check lists. It's funny to hear him.... I'll say oil temp good, fuel flow in the green, etc and be tries to copy me.

Last Monday we were on final and I asked him if we need flaps. He said, "Daddy full flaps I see the airport!"

Just happened to me as well....I called up to ask if I could convert my H60s to youth. Asked how much and she said thanks for flying David Clark's. She even went throught the schematics to figure out what would work.

I'm gonna give these a go and hopefully the 3 y/o will be able to keep it on his head now. If not, I'll have to figure something else out. If the DC band doesn't work, I can only imagine the other brands won't either.

Back