October Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
My wife and I volunteer for many events in October to help raise awareness and money for the American Cancer Society's projects on Breast Cancer. Mammograms, research, public education campaigns, etc.

This year we are going to sponsor a "Group Therapy" bike ride around down town. It is a 15 seat bike with a dedicated driver that bar hops down town for 3 hours. It is a flipping blast.

What kind of fun things (no more ice bucket challenge please! :lol:) to bring attention raise money and bring attention to a great cause?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: October Is Breat Cancer Awareness Month

Okay, it's me again. Don't you hate it when the OP posts twice in a row?

October is BC awareness month. One in eight women get BC, this disease with affect your family.

Gals= Get your mammograms yearly if you are over 40, younger if you have a family history. We all know women are the back bone of families. Make sure you are healthy to take care of your family by first taking care of yourself. Talk to all of the women in your life about BC. Catching breast cancer early can mean the difference between life and death, literally. Don't be that women that feels a lump after not going for 5 years, seriously please don't!

Guys= 1 in 150 men will get breast cancer. If you have a lump see your doctor immediately. Do not put it off, every day counts. However, since this is mostly a woman's issue we as men owe it to all of the women in our family to help save the tatas. Ask your girlfriends, wanna be girl friends, mistresses, wives, x wives, mom, sisters, daughters, grand daughters, secretaries, cops, ....anyone with boobs if they have had their annual digital mammogram.

Our rallying cry with be "Save The Ta-Tas!"

To the Doctors in the house PLEASE any updated info on the above facts would be WELCOME!

Last edited:

I'm not sure if there's a person in America who's not aware of breast cancer.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/18-awareness/

It's good to see you're donating time to keep Susan G Komen's bank account flush with cash and making sure their corporate sponsors' pink merchandise is selling well.

Sorry, I have less than no respect for SGK.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place though.

I'm not sure if there's a person in America who's not aware of breast cancer.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/18-awareness/

It's good to see you're donating time to keep Susan G Komen's bank account flush with cash and making sure their corporate sponsors' pink merchandise is selling well.

Sorry, I have less than no respect for SGK.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place though.

Funny you should say that, we were just talking about that. We looked it up and the American Cancer Society only takes 9% for admin fees, 21% for advertising & promotional projects, and 70% goes directly to cancer research and helping patients.

We are looking into starting our own 5013c for local philanthropy work helping with mammography needs. Many women cannot afford it.:rolleyes2:

(.) (.)

Save the hooters!

So far we have triples the amount we have raised last year, nearly $3K. So exciting! :happydance:

SGK needs a viral ice bucket challenge type thing.
It is astounding the money ALS made this year with that silly thing.

The funniest thing is there are foundations and charities to raise awareness and monies for breast cancer. Not a bad thing at all, and my complements to Geico for carrying it out. Met the dude and knew he was good people.

The funny thing is every male reading this will develop prostate cancer. It may not progress or metastasize, but unless you die young you will get it. About 1 in seven of us will die from it, far higher than the rate at which women die of breast cancer. No foundations, no ribbons, no nothing.

Still, kudos to Geico for his activities. Did some work myself trying to beat it.

Not in any way putting down donating to a good cause but I thought this was an interesting infographic.

2014-08-27-Donating.vs.DeathGraph.0.jpg

The funniest thing is there are foundations and charities to raise awareness and monies for breast cancer. Not a bad thing at all, and my complements to Geico for carrying it out. Met the dude and knew he was good people.

The funny thing is every male reading this will develop prostate cancer. It may not progress or metastasize, but unless you die young you will get it. About 1 in seven of us will die from it, far higher than the rate at which women die of breast cancer. No foundations, no ribbons, no nothing.

Still, kudos to Geico for his activities. Did some work myself trying to beat it.

I like breasts better than prostrates! :yes:

Ditto meeting you also. I'm looking forward to the next time!

I say a "Flash for Cash" promotion would be agreat way to raise awareness. Pull up your shirt, get a dollar, and give the dollar to charity. Winning. A few years back I had a couple of lipomas that was right near my lymph nodes and my chest. Ended up getting a mammogram and all the tests. Ended up taking them out to make sure they were nothing serious.

Not in any way putting down donating to a good cause but I thought this was an interesting infographic.

It is interesting in that numbers always tell a story, but we are all gonna die and usually it is the heart that gives out last? Dr. Gary can answer that better than I.

Breast cancer (when caught early) is very curable. Mrs. Geico caught her BC when the tumors were the size of a grain of salt due to the new digital mammogram. After surgery (bilateral mastectomy) there was no chemo, no radiation, just heal up and move on. She is one tough cookie! 5 years this December and she is still cancer free! :wonderwoman:

So the point is BC is survivable if caught early. We like doing the fund raising mostly to raise awareness, and make sure everyone is aware of digital mammograms. They do make a difference!

Guys! Make sure the women in your life take the yearly check ups seriously! PLEASE!

Save the TA-TAS! :lol:

Last edited:
Great news that she's coming up on 5 years. I hate cancer, I really do. Mom had surgery for it (she's been doing fine for years since). Dad died from complications from Pancreatic cancer 5 years ago. And I'm a 6 year survivor of Prostate cancer. Did I mention that I hate cancer?

My dad flying Delta's "Breast Cancer One" 767-400. I think he went to Frankfurt on this trip.

pink_zpsdeb05a6a.jpg

This seemed a little off to me so I looked it up. The one in seven statistic is the number of men who will be diagnosed during their lifetime. One in 36 will die of it.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-key-statistics

For breast cancer, one in eight women will be diagnosed with it and one in 36 will die from it. Strangely the same number as for prostate cancer. :dunno:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-key-statistics

Interesting, but the only problem with it is many who die from heart disease and COPD could just as easily be described as expiring due to old age.

This seemed a little off to me so I looked it up. The one in seven statistic is the number of men who will be diagnosed during their lifetime. One in 36 will die of it.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-key-statistics

For breast cancer, one in eight women will be diagnosed with it and one in 36 will die from it. Strangely the same number as for prostate cancer. :dunno:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-key-statistics

Yeah, I think you got the right of it. However, every man who lives to a ripe old age will get prostate cancer, it is inevitable. Just not everyone will need any form of treatment.

Just a sober reminder of what we are all fighting for here:

img483ecbb12051d.jpg

Down at Assateague Island this summer I took my daughter Kayaking at Ayer's Creek Adventures. She had a great time, and when we got back there was a Pink kayak as a raffle to raise money. We entered, and didn't think much of it at the time.

Well,... this past weekend they had the raffle and we WON! I have to drive her down next weekend to have her picture taken and pick up the kayak. Check out their facebook page, they have a good time at the Annual Pink Paddle

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ayers-Creek-Adventures/105184429523888

After we pick up the kayak our photo should be on their too.

Great news that she's coming up on 5 years. I hate cancer, I really do. Mom had surgery for it (she's been doing fine for years since). Dad died from complications from Pancreatic cancer 5 years ago. And I'm a 6 year survivor of Prostate cancer. Did I mention that I hate cancer?

Well done, Ghery. I'm 3+ years out from PC myself. My dad died of colon cancer, but the ugliest was my mother-in-law dying from pancreatic cancer.

Cancer ****ing blows.

Thanks for pointing that out, Professor.

Well done, Ghery. I'm 3+ years out from PC myself. My dad died of colon cancer, but the ugliest was my mother-in-law dying from pancreatic cancer.

Cancer ****ing blows.

Cancer indeed sucks!

September is national prostate awareness month. They have a blue ribbon. :D

http://news.cancerconnect.com/september-is-national-prostate-cancer-awareness-month-2/

Maybe you can get involved and help raise awareness next year! :dunno:

September is national prostate awareness month. They have a blue ribbon. :D

I stand corrected.

Maybe you can get involved and help raise awareness next year! :dunno:

What really fries my vittles is the rate of cancer in this country and indeed in most of the Western world could be halved overnight if folks would just stop smoking.

Back