For the A&P/IAs amongst us

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I'm creating a sample single lesson plan for an IA refresher course. If any of y'all have a photograph of a REAL inspection problem that you've found (mush for spar, crack in an unlikely place, owner-installed garbage, hay-wires under the panel, etc.) I'd like to use them for training aid illustrations.

Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Jim

I'm creating a sample single lesson plan for an IA refresher course. If any of y'all have a photograph of a REAL inspection problem that you've found (mush for spar, crack in an unlikely place, owner-installed garbage, hay-wires under the panel, etc.) I'd like to use them for training aid illustrations.

Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Jim

What about ignored crap?

Cessna instrument dimmer

Last edited:
Right Rear wing spar splice on a 172

This homebuilt airplane was full of bad nicopresses in addition to corroded hardware

Last edited:
Fuel Leaks

Cessna strainer:

Firewall valve on a 177B (easily seen with just a flashlight as the valve is near the floor between the rudder pedals on the firewall)

Trailing edge support in the flap-well area near wing root of a gulfstream

I tried to get a grease spec from Cessna to service a 177/210 series flap actuator gearbox without success. I found a reference to a grease part number B100-24 in their archives in the documentation for a service kit SK177-17B and SK177-18B but that part number is unavailable and Cessna would not say what it is.

This ebay gearbox I bought looks fine but, I doubt my 40+ year old gearbox looks like it.

No servicing instruction for gearboxes in any maintenance manuals.

Last edited:
Urethane fuel line starts nice:
11qtp4y.jpg

Then turns green after 2-5 years:
rtgodl.jpg

Then gets brittle and fails:
2hykrw3.jpg

Old Lycoming O-320 parts

The rocker box drain back tube hoses were so old this one just broke in half when trying to remove the tube to replace the hose.

Cork rocker box gaskets so old they were hard and brittle like potato chips

Who the hell runs a fuel line thru the panel..
I do. Granted mine doesn't feed the engine, simply provides fuel level indication.

Somehow I knew if I scrolled down through this thread I would see at least one picture of my airplane :)

Im trying to find the vertical & horizontal stabilizer attach bolts that look like they were dipped in saltwater then aged for 50 years. I think it's on a different data card.

Who the hell runs a fuel line thru the panel..

Most Lancair 235/320/360 series were built this way, and lets face it, if you crash one of these it is not likely to make much of a difference either way.

I do. Granted mine doesn't feed the engine, simply provides fuel level indication.

Somehow I knew if I scrolled down through this thread I would see at least one picture of my airplane :)

These do not feed the engine. The large one is a sight gauge for the header tank; the short ones below to larger one and on both sides of the radio stack are to identify fuel transfer from wing tanks to header tank.

Most Lancair 235/320/360 series were built this way.

These do not feed the engine. The large one is a sight gauge for the header tank; the short ones below to larger one and on both sides of the radio stack are to identify fuel transfer from wing tanks to header tank.

Do you have spendy firesleeved hoses in the engine room? Seems like a waste if so. With those hoses in the panel and whatnot.

Im trying to find the vertical & horizontal stabilizer attach bolts that look like they were dipped in saltwater then aged for 50 years. I think it's on a different data card.

Hmm. I don't recall replacing any hardware back there last year.

Hmm. I don't recall replacing any hardware back there last year.

Different airplane. Bright red rusty bolts and nuts. The kind that look like you'll twist the heads off rather and spin the nut off.

Do you have spendy firesleeved hoses in the engine room? Seems like a waste if so. With those hoses in the panel and whatnot.
Yes, all hoses firewall forward are firesleeve.

Here is a cracked landing gear on a Cherokee 140

Attachments

• 100_0103 mod.jpg
    100_0103 mod.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
broken thru-stud

Attachments

• engine 008.JPG
    engine 008.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
I tried to get a grease spec from Cessna to service a 177/210 series flap actuator gearbox without success. I found a reference to a grease part number B100-24 in their archives in the documentation for a service kit SK177-17B and SK177-18B but that part number is unavailable and Cessna would not say what it is.

This ebay gearbox I bought looks fine but, I doubt my 40+ year old gearbox looks like it.

No servicing instruction for gearboxes in any maintenance manuals.

That is a Duke's transmission. We have them on Comanches. Dukes make a special grease for it. Unfortunately, they price the stuff ridiculously. Aeroshell MS33 is the closest. You can add some Moly-disulfite to bring it up to 10% moly and cut it with some synthetic motor oil to get it to be slightly runny. Then you will have pretty much what Duke's uses.

That is a Duke's transmission. We have them on Comanches. Dukes make a special grease for it. Unfortunately, they price the stuff ridiculously. Aeroshell MS33 is the closest. You can add some Moly-disulfite to bring it up to 10% moly and cut it with some synthetic motor oil to get it to be slightly runny. Then you will have pretty much what Duke's uses.

Mooney used the Dukes linear actuators on their landing gears too. Here's a service bulletin that calls out what grease to use. I seem to recall that at least one Mooney shop would sell small quantities of the correct grease if a person didn't want to locate or mix the grease themselves.

http://www.comanchegear.com/LUBRICANTS/Mooney bulletin Dukes grease.pdf

Coax splitter (a can with sharp edges) sort of shoved in amongst the wire bundles, one mount lug was tie wrapped to a bundle. Not found at annual.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 51
I was under my airplane about 5 hours out of last annual, I had just bought it. I happened to look into the Power-flow exhaust. The muffler is a consumable part of the system. Older ones had thinner metal liner than new one did.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    840.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    827.9 KB · Views: 35
I happen to have my own IA refresher course and have many JPG pictures of thing I found as an A&P/IA and FAA inspector. I collected JPGs like you see here and used them to help both mechanics and pilots learn. If you send me an email I can send you several.

Mooney used the Dukes linear actuators on their landing gears too. Here's a service bulletin that calls out what grease to use. I seem to recall that at least one Mooney shop would sell small quantities of the correct grease if a person didn't want to locate or mix the grease themselves.

http://www.comanchegear.com/LUBRICANTS/Mooney bulletin Dukes grease.pdf

That is very interesting! I haven't played much with this actuator yet but it looks very much exactly like one of the pictures in the Comanche link. Its also very similar to the Mooney one. I figured 33MS was probably the closest grease that is OTC (also the same type Cessna recommends for trim actuators and the ball screw of the flap actuator on certain pre SB/AD Cessnas)

I was under my airplane about 5 hours out of last annual, I had just bought it. I happened to look into the Power-flow exhaust. The muffler is a consumable part of the system. Older ones had thinner metal liner than new one did.

I too have one of those, no blowout of the packing yet. I think they are listed on their website now for under $200.

I happen to have my own IA refresher course and have many JPG pictures of thing I found as an A&P/IA and FAA inspector. I collected JPGs like you see here and used them to help both mechanics and pilots learn. If you send me an email I can send you several.

Thanks. That would be jweir the number four the number three AT gmale.com

Use the homonym on gmale.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Perhaps something was lost in the coding. Let me give the email address again, perhaps not so coded

jweir43 at gmail dot com

Thanks,

Jim

Back