iOS 8 installing -- Back up first!!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Before you update your iDevice to iOS 8, DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP THE DEVICE BEFORE YOU UPDATE!!!

This morning, I wanted to update my iPhone 5 16GB. Doing it over the air wasn't going to work since I already have a full 14GB worth of stuff (mostly music) and the "over air" method needed nearly 4GB of it's own. So I got out the USB cable and connected to my Win7 PC and iTunes.

Once the phone was discovered and shown in iTunes, I chose to first Synch to the PC and then back it up.

And boy am I glad I did.

After the back up completed, I clicked the "check for update" button and chose to update the iOS. The computer pulls down the software from the next, extracts it, and begins the update on the phone.

Most of the way through, the process crashes, dropping iTunes back to a message saying "problem has occurred and you must restore your iPhone back to factory settings". :yikes: :mad: :sigh: :mad2: :mad2:

Acknowledging the message iTunes quits, but relaunches with a prompt to update to the latest version. I quickly do that, launch iTunes again, and fortunately the restore process started.

[ - time passes - ]​

Restore just finished. Phone and apps work fine and are back to pre-update. But my music didn't come across. So I'm fixing that now...

But I am soooo glad I backed up the phone before I did the update. Now it's only be a slight waste of time versus a major one requiring a trip to the Apple Genius Bar.

I always turn on the iCloud backup - mine gets backed up every night!

I also do iCloud backup.

And I found out why my music didn't download back to my phone... turns out "iTunes Match" (the cloud service that d/l's your music "on demand https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/) was turned to "on" during the restore.

While that's good walking around and driving on the ground... it doesn't work so good when flying.

So now to download my music... again :sigh:

I always turn on the iCloud backup - mine gets backed up every night!

I've got 78GB on my iPad and don't want to pay Apple's rate for enough iCloud storage. It is set to backup to my iTunes over the air, but iTunes is such a pig I don't usually have it up.

I've got 78GB on my iPad and don't want to pay Apple's rate for enough iCloud storage. It is set to backup to my iTunes over the air, but iTunes is such a pig I don't usually have it up.

You can configure iCloud as far as what to back up but as far as I can tell anything you'd download from the app/itunes stores doesn't count against your storage. I'm only using 600MB or so of my free storage and I have a lot more than that on the the device.

Edited to add... a few months ago my ipad mini got a small hairline crack in the display, not sure how it got there. You could only see it looking at a certain angle. I brought it into an Apple store and they replaced it for free- was told that small hairline cracks do get replaced under warranty but shattered/spiderwebbed screens do not.

Anyway to my amazement apon getting the replacement device as soon as I logged in it immediately pulled up my wallpaper and began downloading all the apps I previously had. My settings were all the way they were. Soon as I put it in my old case you wouldn't know it was the a different one. I did have to re-download all my foreflight maps manually but that was it. Pretty impressive how slick that worked.

Last edited:
You can configure iCloud as far as what to back up but as far as I can tell anything you'd download from the app/itunes stores doesn't count against your storage. I'm only using 600MB or so of my free storage and I have a lot more than that on the the device.

Edited to add... a few months ago my ipad mini got a small hairline crack in the display, not sure how it got there. You could only see it looking at a certain angle. I brought it into an Apple store and they replaced it for free- was told that small hairline cracks do get replaced under warranty but shattered/spiderwebbed screens do not.

Anyway to my amazement apon getting the replacement device as soon as I logged in it immediately pulled up my wallpaper and began downloading all the apps I previously had. My settings were all the way they were. Soon as I put it in my old case you wouldn't know it was the a different one. I did have to re-download all my foreflight maps manually but that was it. Pretty impressive how slick that worked.

Agreed. How does this work when switching devices in Android?

The 4 isn't supported by iOS8. The 4s is but based on the reading I've done, I won't be updating mine.

As to the 5 (which my wife has) everything I read said that there should be no issues. Have there been major bugs reported wrt the 5 in the past day?

DON'T DO IT!!!

Unless you have a late model 5S.

Do not do it if you have a 4 or 4S. JUST SAY NO!!!

I'm holding out on updating my iPads until after my checkride Wednesday. Like the FF crew said in their blog, wait until the minor updates come out before updating a critical bit of equipment.

I've had several iPhones and after my first couple disasters trying to upgrade iOS, I gave up and have never tried updating another one. I keep them on whatever version they came with.

My current iPhone 5 runs iOS 6.1.3 and it's staying on that version until the day I stop using it and get a new phone. I don't use all those extra features and crap enough anyway to bother upgrading. It gets used for phone and email and that's about it.

I'm holding out on updating my iPads until after my checkride Wednesday. Like the FF crew said in their blog, wait until the minor updates come out before updating a critical bit of equipment.

Hmmm...checkride on Wednesday, huh? You're going to be ready for a beer either way when you arrive at Gaston's Thursday! Hopefully it's a celebratory beer!!!

If you only use phone and email, why pay more for an iPhone, and a current one at that, in the first place? Wouldn't a lower end Android phone or a 4s been much less when you got your 5?

I've had several iPhones and after my first couple disasters trying to upgrade iOS, I gave up and have never tried updating another one. I keep them on whatever version they came with.

My current iPhone 5 runs iOS 6.1.3 and it's staying on that version until the day I stop using it and get a new phone. I don't use all those extra features and crap enough anyway to bother upgrading. It gets used for phone and email and that's about it.

What about on an iPad2? I'm still 6 something.

iOS 8 supports iPad 2, but I've got my iPad 2 on iOS 7.01 and it's already a bit clunky. I'd stay where you are as long as the software you want to use works. At some point they'll force the apps to upgrade and then you've got to do something. Until then, stay put is my advice.

I'm waiting on iOS 8 for my iPad mini and iPhone 5S until they get some more bugs out.

John

Arrgh. I be waiting matey before I do the iOS upgrade to me iPad2. I won't be doing the upgrade ter me iPhone5.

The OS be optimized for the larger screens and faster processors of the later devices. The usual battery killing effects of upgrades are being seen.

Arrrrggghhhh me buckos!

I updated both the phone (5) and the iPad (2) on the first day of the rollout. Both are working well so far.

Some detailed reviews of iOS8 on the iPad2 and iPhone 4s:

iPad2

The iPad3 probably won't be much better. It has the A5X chip, but is dealing with all of the extra pixels of the retina display. I have a 3 and won't be updating it yet.

iPhone4s

As I said above, my 4s is staying on iOS 7 until it gets replaced.

Don't update. The iPad2 is the oldest iPad that is supposedly ok to receive iOS 8. However, my wife updated her iPad2 to iOS 8 and the Verizon-provided cellular stopped working. Google showed a number of people complaining about the same issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6541146

Others have complained about iPad2s being slow with iOS 8.

Apple does not officially let you downgrade from 8 to 7, so you have to jump through hoops to do it.

Fortunately, we were able to restore it to iOS 7.1.2 by using an "ipsw" file. And, also fortunately, she backed it up before doing the update so all of her apps and data flowed right back onto the restored device.

Last edited:
Makes me LOL. With my S4.

<< Sent from my mobile device at 0agl >>

Other than applications that were dependent on iCloud syncing between Mac OS X and iOS I've had no issues on my iPhone 5 or my iPad Mini.

If you only use phone and email, why pay more for an iPhone, and a current one at that, in the first place? Wouldn't a lower end Android phone or a 4s been much less when you got your 5?

Never looked into Android, because the iPhone is the only smartphone device I've used since a previous company got away from Blackberries for emails and went to iPhones instead. iPhone is what I'm used to, so I don't care to switch now (old dogs, new tricks, and all that).

I do keep upgrading them every couple years usually because of physical problems. The glass gets scratched or cracked, I dropped one and the back wouldn't stay on, etc. It's just easier for me to replace them than worry about repairs. I probably have 2 or 3 of them lying in a drawer somewhere.

So I "upgrade" to the new iOS versions when I get a new one. But after a couple bad experiences trying to upgrade an earlier one on my own once, and almost bricking it, I don't fool with upgrading iOS anymore. As long as it works out of the box, it's fine.

Other than applications that were dependent on iCloud syncing between Mac OS X and iOS I've had no issues on my iPhone 5 or my iPad Mini.
I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 5 except for syncing with 1Password on my Mac, which 1PW says will work again after upgrading my Mac to Yosemite.

I almost always upgrade the OS on my devices unless they are old. The only problem I have had was years ago when I upgraded the BIOS on an PC.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 5 except for syncing with 1Password on my Mac, which 1PW says will work again after upgrading my Mac to Yosemite.

I almost always upgrade the OS on my devices unless they are old. The only problem I have had was years ago when I upgraded the BIOS on an PC.

Switch to Dropbox sync on 1Password and it'll work fine.

The only App that I have that won't work is LogTen Pro and again, Dropbox sync works fine on that one too.

Switch to Dropbox sync on 1Password and it'll work fine.

The only App that I have that won't work is LogTen Pro and again, Dropbox sync works fine on that one too.
Yeah, I need to clean out my Dropbox because I am just about at the limit of free space. Or I could go to paying for it.

I have LogTenPro, but not on my iPhone. It only needs to sync between my two Macs. On the other hand, I think I read that it won't sync any more on iCloud if I switch to Yosemite.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to clean out my Dropbox because I am just about at the limit of free space. Or I could go to paying for it.

I have LogTenPro, but not on my iPhone. It only needs to sync between my two Macs. On the other hand, I think I read that it won't sync any more on iCloud if I switch to Yosemite.

Yeah don't know on LogTen. I assume he will have a working upgrade sometime before Yosemite's release that'll use the new iCloud Drive APIs.

I'd go read his blog if I really needed to know, but I'm at that point with tech where I don't feel like tracking the blogs of those forced into never ending re-writes of their code. They'll either fix it so it works or they won't, and I'll know soon enough after Yosemite comes out if the aviation world is screaming at him in horror or cheering on his latest version.

Got enough ancient but unfound software bugs to keep me busy for the rest of my life or career, whichever comes first. The stupid bash shell on every freaking Linux box on the planet has a zero- day remote code execution exploit out against it because... once again... a coder who should've known better, many coders in fact, didn't handle passed variables properly.

There's no bigger reward in computing for writing great code over mediocre code with massive time bombs waiting to be found in it. Doesn't even matter if the code is life-safety critical. See: Airbus stall warning for an example.

If engineers can't get that right, there aren't enough dollars on the planet to get a phone App to desktop data sync application right. :)

The darling of the software industry now is "continuous deoloyment" and renting applications. Hell, you can't even buy Enterprise class networking equipment without a mandatory annual service contract. That tells you right there what to expect for performance.

If you were told the service contract for a car wasn't optional, would you buy the car? :)

Never looked into Android, because the iPhone is the only smartphone device I've used since a previous company got away from Blackberries for emails and went to iPhones instead. iPhone is what I'm used to, so I don't care to switch now (old dogs, new tricks, and all that).

I do keep upgrading them every couple years usually because of physical problems. The glass gets scratched or cracked, I dropped one and the back wouldn't stay on, etc. It's just easier for me to replace them than worry about repairs. I probably have 2 or 3 of them lying in a drawer somewhere.

So I "upgrade" to the new iOS versions when I get a new one. But after a couple bad experiences trying to upgrade an earlier one on my own once, and almost bricking it, I don't fool with upgrading iOS anymore. As long as it works out of the box, it's fine.

I'm pretty much the same, but I abandoned the iOS platform on the phone since sometimes, I need it to do and access things it can't. Android is no great shakes to learn, it has a few annoyances, but it never fails to deliver content like iOS does. If I am on the road with my iPad hot spotted on my droid phone, when the iPad doesn't let me get something/somewhere I need, I can still manage on the phone. I am considering upgrading the tablet to an Android tablet as well since the iPad is now full on memory, turn it into my primary and keep this for the aviation programs that require iOS.

I use my iPad, iPhone, iMac, and Macbook as tools to accomplish work. The set of tools I use across those devices sync and interface together very nicely. There is no way for me to switch platforms without switching tools and that's a process that simply isn't worth my time and would slow down my ability to accomplish work.

Sounds like Apple announced major screwup that disabled cellular service on iPhone 6(+) devices in 8.0.1.

8.0.2 has already shown up on my iPad.

Hasn't hit my phone yet. Doesn't affect iphone 5 so doesn't matter to me anyway.

I can still think of no compelling reason to move to iOS8.

Most of the advantages lie in the future, as apps are upgraded to make use of extensions, HealthKit and ApplePay are implemented, more keyboards are added and Yosemite gets released.

That said, Karen's still had no issues with iOS8 on her 5c and iPad2.

8.0.2 has already shown up on my iPad.

I let it download and install overnight. Hopefully it'll fix some issues. ForeFlight crashed on me twice yesterday while flying to Gaston's. ForeFlight has never crashed on me before.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Unless you have a late model 5S.

Do not do it if you have a 4 or 4S. JUST SAY NO!!!

Agreed - Even on the 5s, it's noticeably slower than iOS 7, though not so much as to make it a never-do-it type of thing. I'm not going to upgrade my wife's 4s, and I won't recommend my MIL upgrade her 5 right away either, though if it gets to the point where she wants to do something that requires the new features I'd do it.

I would say that it's a good practice to not upgrade more than one major version past what the device came with, and definitely not two. It's also a good idea to get a new device every 2-3 years to keep up with the pace of tech, and if you do that you can keep up to date with your iOS as well.

Just checked and forced 8.0.2 onto my iPad. Hopefully it will fix all the stuff that the idiots in California broke in 8.0.0. Crossing my fingers that 4G, email, browser and other stuff works better now ...
Why oh why did I update from iOS7 to iOS8 to begin with? I should have known better. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! *facepalm*

I'm on the iPad Air and iPhone 6 and haven't had any issues with 8.0. May wait to see what 8.0.2 does before updating again since it ain't broke.

Hadn't had any problems until today when the phone decided it was syncing with the laptop when the laptop was off. That was cute.

I'm still on 8.0.0 on my iPhone and iPad and it's been the most trouble free major release I've upgraded to yet.

Back