Univ of Michigan Stadium Flyover

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hey all! To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Aerospace Engineering department at the University of Michigan, there will be a pretty awesome set of flyovers over the Big House before tomorrow's football game against Utah. I unfortunately don't have tickets to the game, but I'm planning to go down to the stadium anyway with a friend and my handheld to find a good spot to watch the fun.

Anyone know what frequency(ies) I should try? They could be on ARB tower 120.3 because they'll be in the Class D, but that would surprise me, because it could interfere with the regular ops at ARB.

I've pasted some info about the flyover below. Go blue!

• Boeing Stearman PT-17A: 1930's Military trainer. This airplane was used extensively to train US pilots to fly for WWII. Approximately 8,000 were built at a cost of $11,000 per unit. The pilot will be Christopher Dacson.

• North American Aviation P-51D Mustang: Owned by Jack Roush, this airplane carries the authentic paint scheme of Jim Browning, who flew with the 357th Fighter Group in WWII. The pilot will be Connie Bowlin.

• North American Aviation F-86F Sabre Jet: This aircraft weighs five tons empty and has a max speed of 650 mph. The pilot will be Paul Wood.

• Boeing B-17: This airplane weighs 18 tons and was THE heavy bomber used in WWII. The pilot will be Jon Rule from the Yankee Air Museum.

• North American Aviation B-25 Mitchell Bomber: Named after military aviation pioneer Gen. Billy Mitchell, this aircraft model was used on the first attack of the Japanese homeland after being launched from the U.S.S. Hornet aircraft carrier. Pilot will be Delane Buttacavolli from the Yankee Air Museum.

• North American Aviation F-100F Super Sabre: This aircraft weighs 10 tons and its Pratt and Whitney engine produces 16,000 pounds of thrust in afterburner mode which can propel the aircraft to supersonic speeds. The aircraft in Saturday's flyover is the last F-100 Super Sabre flying on the planet. The pilot will be Dean Cutshall.

• Lockheed Electra: This is the aircraft Amelia Earhart flew in her around-the-world flight attempt. The airplane in Saturday's flyover was used in the movie "Amelia" starring Hillary Swank. The pilot will be Joe Sheppard.

• Five Beechcraft T-34's: Military aircraft trainers will be flown in formation on Saturday. The lead pilot will be Russell McDonald.

• University of Michigan Survival Flight Eurocopter EC-155: Two of these helicopters are on duty 24 hours a day. The pilot will be Thomas Sherony.

• Enstrom 408B: This craft is a turbine powered helicopter. The Enstrom Helicopter is a true "Pure Michigan" example since it is designed, developed and built in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The pilot will be William Taylor, an aerospace engineering grad from 1980.

• North American Aviation F-86F Sabre Jet: This aircraft weighs five tons empty and has a max speed of 650 mph. The pilot will be Paul Wood.

• McMahon Helicopter Sikorsky Heavy Lift Model S58T: The pilot will be Nick McMahon.

The announcer for the pregame flyover will be Capt. James Mynning, a professional air show announcer and commercial pilot, who was born in Ann Arbor and has been a lifelong Michigan resident.

Mynning is a retired United Airlines captain and in 1974 he was named United Airlines Pilot of the Year for safely landing a 737 with a dangling engine without injury to passengers or crew. He was the only one of 5,000 United pilots to receive the award that year.

Bo Schembechler personally requested Mynning to be the DC10 Captain when United Airlines was chartered to fly the Wolverines to various games.

Hey all! To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Aerospace Engineering department at the University of Michigan, there will be a pretty awesome set of flyovers over the Big House before tomorrow's football game against Utah. I unfortunately don't have tickets to the game, but I'm planning to go down to the stadium anyway with a friend and my handheld to find a good spot to watch the fun.

Anyone know what frequency(ies) I should try? They could be on ARB tower 120.3 because they'll be in the Class D, but that would surprise me, because it could interfere with the regular ops at ARB.

I've pasted some info about the flyover below. Go blue!
Where's N911UM?

1675397.jpg

I wonder how many environmental activists are football fans.

That sounds like a great event. Looking forward to the video.

Air boss was on 118.175, got the inside scoop from a friend in the flyover. It was pretty impressive, but I didn't manage to capture any video. There was a pretty strong crosswind, and a couple of the waves (they did it in formations) looked pretty off-center from where I was. But it was still really cool! The F100 and F86 flew in pretty tight formation with the P51 loosely formed up to the side. The F100 hit his afterburner as he was exiting the stadium which made for a nice loud boom. And the jets circled around again for the National Anthem as well, which was pretty cool.

Nice pics,looks like an interesting flyover.

Back