Fighters scrambled for ADIZ bust

I heard two Il-76 refuelers, two Bears, and two Mig-31's. Other places say all fighters, all bombers... Either way, this stuff has been going on for a while. Wonder why it's even in the news :dunno:

The article says 55mi off the coast, on average the ADIZ is about 20nm off the shore, so that would have the Russians NOT penetrating our ADIZ.

Gotta love peckerwood politicians sending dumb dumbs out to try to provoke, and the morons who carry out moronic orders.

The article says 55mi off the coast, on average the ADIZ is about 20nm off the shore, so that would have the Russians NOT penetrating our ADIZ.

Gotta love peckerwood politicians sending dumb dumbs out to try to provoke, and the morons who carry out moronic orders.

20nm is just the inner ADIZ. Aircraft that penetrate the outer layer a couple hundred miles off shore are still tracked and intercepted. The Alaskan ADIZ or former DEWIZ is extensive. Extends several hundred miles off shore.

Same applies on the east coast. I've seen news reports of the 125 TH at JAX intercepting Bear bombers 150 miles off shore.

Nothing like Putin giving the rest of the world the middle finger. Need to enforce stronger sanctions,sorry McDonalds.

Nothing like Putin giving the rest of the world the middle finger. Need to enforce stronger sanctions,sorry McDonalds.

No need for us to get our panties in a wad. This stuff has gone on for years, in the air and on the sea. It's basically military exercises. They test to see what we'll do and we test to see what they'll do. From the article-

The ADIZ is a zone of airspace which extends approximately 200 miles from the coastline and is mainly within international airspace, according to the statement. The outer limits of the ADIZ go beyond U.S. sovereign air space.

State aircraft of sovereign nations are not required to file flight plans. NORAD said it has intercepted more than 50 Russian aircraft in the last five years. NORAD jets usually intercept one or two Russian planes, normally bombers.

Here is one such intercept from a few years ago-

140613101701-04-aircraft-news-0613-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Id imagine that the two F22s would make quick work out of that nostalgic Russian group should they need to.

No need for us to get our panties in a wad. This stuff has gone on for years, in the air and on the sea. It's basically military exercises. They test to see what we'll do and we test to see what they'll do. From the article-

That's a cool photo.

James, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying, are you saying our pilots are "dumb dumbs" and "morons" for following orders? I agree about dumbass politicians, but if you are calling our flyers that stuff......Well

Well thank God we've got the flight plan question cleared up.

James, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying, are you saying our pilots are "dumb dumbs" and "morons" for following orders? I agree about dumbass politicians, but if you are calling our flyers that stuff......Well

I'm saying any solider who follows a truely bad order, in this case the Russian pilots.

"I was just following orders" doesn't cut it when you end up provoking a war for your crooked leader, a war at least 2 nations people will suffer for.

Accountability.

I'm saying any solider who follows a truely bad order, in this case the Russian pilots.

"I was just following orders" doesn't cut it when you end up provoking a war for your crooked leader, a war at least 2 nations people will suffer for.

Accountability.

No wars here. Just posturing and practice. Besides, you never know what those pilots may have been told. Maybe they were told American bombers just flew over Moscow. Maybe the orders seemed reasonable in their understanding.

Maybe

Still the buck stops with them.

Famous picture, years ago, Russian tail gunner in massive bomber holding up bottle of Pepsi and waving.

Accountability.

Got it! Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm right with you!!!!

And interestingly enough, the Ukrainain plane was squawking Mode S on its departure from Maryland and easily tracked with a 1090 (or SDR) receiver and free software......

When I was an F-4 EWO I pulled air defense alert exactly one time. We got scrambled!

After that day I can say I went down a fireman's pole in the course of my job!!!! :)

We fly aircraft up and down their coastlines gathering Intel all the time. It's international airspace and they can use it just like we can use it near their homeland. At least our fighters don't do barrel rolls around their heavies like the Chinese do around ours. Apparently the Chinese didn't learn anything after their fighter crashed after running into an EP-3. Or perhaps they've been practicing.

Perhaps we should stop poking our nuclear neighbors.

Accountability.

When I read what you wrote, I immediately thought: Your looking at this through an American's lens. The Russian lens is significantly different. While American national pride has fragmented and is diminishing, Russian nationalism is at an all time high. Russia is reasserting themselves as a world power.

When I read what you wrote, I immediately thought: Your looking at this through an American's lens. The Russian lens is significantly different. While American national pride has fragmented and is diminishing, Russian nationalism is at an all time high. Russia is reasserting themselves as a world power.

Too bad they are at least 50 years behind us.

If they went on the attack, it would be disastrous for America, but it would be sucide for Russia, no matter how much pride they have.

They just sent outdated airframes along our coasts and were greeted by 2 F22s. No matter how much pride and nationalism exists in the Russian pilots of the Mig31 and those bears, just one of those two raptors could have turned them all inside out before the Russians even knew the raptor was there.

The people need to linch these self serving, war mongering losers in office, and that goes for both sides of the ocean.

Too bad they are at least 50 years behind us.

If they went on the attack, it would be disastrous for America, but it would be sucide for Russia, no matter how much pride they have.

They just sent outdated airframes along our coasts and were greeted by 2 F22s. No matter how much pride and nationalism exists in the Russian pilots of the Mig31 and those bears, just one of those two raptors could have turned them all inside out before the Russians even knew the raptor was there.

The people need to linch these self serving, war mongering losers in office, and that goes for both sides of the ocean.

The Tu-95 airframe may be outdated, their payload isn't.

The Russian Air Force may be a prototype air force, but their technology certainly isn't 50 years behind ours.

Last edited:
So you're saying that a mig31 is competitive with a F22? :rofl:

Never said that, I said Russian technology isn't 50 years behind ours. The latest Flankers from both Russia and China are impressive, as are their A2/AD weapons.

Never said that, I said Russian technology isn't 50 years behind ours. The latest Flankers from both Russia and China are impressive, as are their A2/AD weapons.

+2

Both sides most likely got everything they were looking for out of that intercept.

Nauga,
and his threat assessment

I wonder if we still have the will to test Russian reaction with a similar exercise.

Yeah, no kidding, our airplanes and their airplanes have been saying howdy at the edges of our respective airspaces since the 50s, this is nothing new or serious.

The Mig-31 is not "your daddy's Mig-31" anymore. It's still the Russian's frontline interceptor.

Long range L band radar that's said to detect stealth, combined with the latest long range R-37 missiles. That's not something I'd like to tangle with even in an F22. Especially one that has drop tanks on. Not to mention, even without radar at some point the Migs would have detected the F-22s passively through IR.

So I don't think the F-22s had as much superiority as you believe. They both have substantial standoff capability. In this case I think there's a good chance the Migs saw the F-22s first.

We fly aircraft up and down their coastlines gathering Intel all the time. It's international airspace and they can use it just like we can use it near their homeland. At least our fighters don't do barrel rolls around their heavies like the Chinese do around ours. Apparently the Chinese didn't learn anything after their fighter crashed after running into an EP-3. Or perhaps they've been practicing.

The Mig-31 is not "your daddy's Mig-31" anymore. It's still the Russian's frontline interceptor.

Long range L band radar that's said to detect stealth, combined with the latest long range R-37 missiles. That's not something I'd like to tangle with even in an F22. Especially one that has drop tanks on. Not to mention, even without radar at some point the Migs would have detected the F-22s passively through IR.

So I don't think the F-22s had as much superiority as you believe. They both have substantial standoff capability. In this case I think there's a good chance the Migs saw the F-22s first.
BS. If necessary, the first indication the Migs would have had that there were Raptors about would have been smoke in the cockpit, their cockpit. Putting drop tanks on the Migs only adds fuel to the ensuing conflagration. They might be a match for a F15, but they're turkeys to F-22s.

BS. If necessary, the first indication the Migs would have had that there were Raptors about would have been smoke in the cockpit, their cockpit. Putting drop tanks on the Migs only adds fuel to the ensuing conflagration. They might be a match for a F15, but they're turkeys to F-22s.

Technical superiority is proven every time to lose to overwhelming numbers of primitive technology. Even if you can manage 20:1 superiority, if they out number you 21:1, you lose to attrition. Our trillions of dollars in military investment are proving ineffective against a determined, "stone age" enemy.

Technical superiority is proven every time to lose to overwhelming numbers of primitive technology. Even if you can manage 20:1 superiority, if they out number you 21:1, you lose to attrition. Our trillions of dollars in military investment are proving ineffective against a determined, "stone age" enemy.

That's not a technology issue. That's a political courage issue. Our civilian leaders have demonstrated complete lack of willingness to use our sophisticated technology against the Stone Age enemy.

We'll unless real world numbers are significantly different than unclassified, the Foxhound has greater radar range and weapons range than a F-22. Whether or not the R-37 works as advertised is debatable.

Also, having drop tanks is only going to increase the RCS of the Raptors.

It's not a black and white comparison that you can analyze in a bubble. Real world systems don't always function as they do on paper.

That's not a technology issue. That's a political courage issue. Our civilian leaders have demonstrated complete lack of willingness to use our sophisticated technology against the Stone Age enemy.

Because it would just make things worse, not better, that's what they understand and you don't. Our system is set up to harvest as much wealth as possible without bringing ourselves to complete destruction.

Back