KCGI (Cape Girardeau, MO) vs. Rice Fields

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
I just got the attached letter yesterday.

CGI is surrounded by very flat farmland and much of it is being converted from more "traditional" fields to rice fields. The concern is that the standing water will attract large waterfowl. (especially since CGI is on the Mississippi flyway)

I plan to attend the meeting and I've already contacted all the invited representatives encouraging them to attend.

I know Bruce Loy pretty well and I'm sure he's on top of things but this group has a lot of varied experiences and would invite any suggestions and/or strategies.

Sometimes it's a joy to live in a state where almost nothing is controlled or regulated. It's definitely a double edged sword.

TIA

Attachments

• CGI Letter.pdf
    686.8 KB · Views: 22
Just declare the airspace controlled to the waterfowl and make them get a clearance before entering. Also require them to have ADS-B and a transponder within certain distance of the airport.

We have that here, Tim. It can be dangerous, especially for faster aircraft. Not too bad in a C-150 though.

yep. I keep wanting to take a pic of all those freaking ducks we get around here, but I'm usually just too scared after each near miss to remember the camera phone...

Say, I wonder if I need an STC to remote mount my 12G on the wing of the Bo ...

Tim- We deal with waterfowl and cranes since the city decided to build our airport in a swamp.

If I'm on approach, the waterfowl worry me more then the cranes. The cranes will look at you and go back to feeding, while the waterfowl freak out and try to escape.

Try and not be the number 2 guy on landing. The first guy will scare the ducks, which can turn back across your path by the time you reach the same spot.

Thankfully, we are getting out of "buzzard season". This summer they picked the thermals on short final to look for pray. :nono:

Does KCGI have one of those propane noise makers to scare off birds?

brian];1561124 said:
yep. I keep wanting to take a pic of all those freaking ducks we get around here, but I'm usually just too scared after each near miss to remember the camera phone...

Say, I wonder if I need an STC to remote mount my 12G on the wing of the Bo ...

Aren't you based out of Stuttgart? :D

Aren't you based out of Stuttgart? :D

I fly over to Stuttgart once in a while for a touch (stop) and go, but I'm based out of Country Air (1AR9). Water all around that grass strip. Besides the ducks & geese, the water sets up thermals somehow resulting in a bumpy ride in/out during some times of the year. I still LOVE flying off grass though :)

You are correct on the buzzards. Can't remember how many times I've seen them circling in a thermal with birds "stacked" in a holding pattern hundreds of feet tall. What's worse is you really con't predict where they are. The good news, you can see them as they only seem to be circling when it is very clear outside.

Really thinking this 12G idea has some merit!

Does KCGI have one of those propane noise makers to scare off birds?

No, because we don't have a problem...yet. They're just now converting the fields over from corn/soybeans/milo to rice. I just moved my plane down there yesterday and got a good look at the fields while coming and going. I'd estimate that 300 to 400 acres are in the process of being converted.

Time for the citizens to demand that the airport be closed to save the poor birdies.

Back