My first solo

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
I had my solo scheduled for last Thursday, and I moved the flight to the afternoon because of family stuff going on that evening. Big mistake.

The thermals were so choppy in the Texas heat that I didn't feel comfortable with soloing that day. My mind was distracted by all the bounciness, and everything felt "off" since I've been training in the smoother evening air.

We rescheduled for Monday night.

Then on Monday, I was flying like I'd forgotten how to land. I was flaring too early, too late, too little, too much — just all over the place on final. We had a gentle, nearly-direct crosswind, which didn't help when I was used to landing with a much stronger headwind component.

Still, I kept getting better with each lap around the pattern. After a whopping 11 times, I was feeling very comfortable with it, so my instructor got out of the plane.

FirstSoloTakeoff.jpg

Off I flew, all alone, in a machine in the sky — no one to help me get down. It was surprisingly peaceful as the sun was setting and there was no instructor talking and explaining and critiquing. I still talked myself through it ... "abeam the numbers, throttle back to 1,500, airspeed under 102, first notch of flaps" ... but the loneliness up there was a new thing for me.

The first landing was decent, just a little hard. The second landing was nice and smooth. And the third landing was the messiest of all, with a little ballooning and forgetting my CTAF call on final. Still, I was thrilled with how it turned out.

Can't wait for the next one! It's set for tonight.

Congratulations! Such a great feeling, isn't it?! I still have very vivid memories of my first solo.

I remember talking to myself after the instructor got out. It was like I was talking to my instructor, only he wasn't there. Then I would say something like "You're talking to yourself. Stop it." followed by "Yeah, but nobody knows it, so who cares? Wait, you're still doing it." At some point I figured I'd better just shut up and taxi for takeoff.

I trained in a C-152. On the first solo take off, I actually looked in the back to see if I really was alone.

Good job buddy..!!!

Where ya'll at in Texas?

I remember talking to myself after the instructor got out. It was like I was talking to my instructor, only he wasn't there. Then I would say something like "You're talking to yourself. Stop it." followed by "Yeah, but nobody knows it, so who cares? Wait, you're still doing it." At some point I figured I'd better just shut up and taxi for takeoff.

That story would have been much better if it ended "At some point I figured I had the PTT button stuck" :D

That story would have been much better if it ended "At some point I figured I had the PTT button stuck" :D

I checked that quite a few times, just to make sure things didn't get THAT bad. :wink2:

Congratulations!
I feel your pain, I am in Texas too. Can't imagine flying today!!

Where in Texas? Maybe I can be there for you next solo tonight? :)

Congratulations!
I feel your pain, I am in Texas too. Can't imagine flying today!!

Where in Texas? Maybe I can be there for you next solo tonight? :)

Lou, don't forget to pack your score cards!

(Kimberly made some really funny ones for Gaston's last year... I need to get a copy from her. One said "Nice Landing --- all of them, but you can only log one" and another "That would have been a perfect landing, if the runway was 3-feet higher").

Thanks, everybody! I'm flying out of Majors Field in Greenville, Texas.

My second solo went even better last night. My mistakes are getting smaller on landings, and being alone didn't feel like a big deal. It was like, "Oh, I'm just flying a plane. No biggie."

Unfortunately, my other practice wasn't that great. I screwed up my simulated engine-out landing (I intended to land on a grass strip, but I didn't see it and ended up aiming for the big field next to the grass strip by accident). And I flew too close to the "point" in my turn around a point. I'd almost have to turn the plane like a zero-turn lawnmower in the sky :)

All in all, I'm making good progress. My instructor thinks if we continue on the same path (as long as weather, plane availability and pilot availability all line up) I should be scheduling my checkride by the end of November. Here's hoping!

Thanks, everybody! I'm flying out of Majors Field in Greenville, Texas.

I met a few guys from the Majors Flying Club at a fly-in. Sounded like a nice set up. Hopefully you're aware of them.

And you definitely need to go visit the Rockin' M Airport just 5 - 6 miles south of you (T14). It is a very nice grass air strip owned and operated by Walt Meziere (WaltM on this board). Walt is a great host who has taken a dilapidated field and turned into a nice country airport. When it's time for your soft field training, it's a great spot with a nice long runway.

And then when you're ready for your solo cross country flight, talk your instructor into using Denton (KDTO) as one of your stops. And then make it your lunch/break stop and myself and Bryan (SixPappaCharlie) and a few others will come find you and share some time.

Well done! I remember the excitement of my first solo. Its a great feeling isn't it?

I met a few guys from the Majors Flying Club ... And you definitely need to go visit the Rockin' M Airport ...

I joined the Majors Flying Club, and Rockin' M is the grass field I missed last night on my engine-out practice :)

Congrats on your solo. Rockin' M is only two miles from me, I love grass fields and his is very nice.

Congrats. I talk to myself flying without passengers. I say each item out loud as I go through the checklist. It's how I did it with my CFI so why change.

...The thermals were so choppy in the Texas heat that I didn't feel comfortable with soloing that day. My mind was distracted by all the bounciness, and everything felt "off" since I've been training in the smoother evening air.

We rescheduled for Monday night.....

that sounds like a solid Pilots decision right there, well done! and congrats on the solo!!!!

Back