Speeding Ticket

All of this for a speeding ticket, really? Just pay the ticket and move on. Who gives a rip about points on a simple speeding ticket. For them it is about the money. The government(s) involved desperately want the money. If I don't get a ticket every 3-4 years I just assume I am driving too slow.

When your child starts having a tantrum and yelling for ice cream, do you just give it to him?

This simple process has yielded zero citations in the past 15 years while being stopped at least 8 times. Never, never, never tell the cop how fast you were going even if you know exactly how fast it was.

Kevin, you need to slow down.

:)

There's an inside saying in law enforcement:

"you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the process."

They have their ways to put the hurt on you if you **** them off even if you have a winning case. I've always just paid it and moved on. I've had maybe one ticket dismissed because it was stupid. The J.P. thought it was stupid that the kid cited me for having factory window tint. That, and the fact I previously helped erect a radio tower for this J.P.'s office, and gave him some electrical stuff ... ;)

I was on my way to duck hunt at 4:00am. All the lights were flashing yellow except one that was red. I blow through it. Cop sees this and pulls me over. Truck loaded with guns, dogs jumping around, etc.

Cop comes up, "do you know why I pulled you over?".

"Yes sir, I blew through that red light".

"You admit that?"

"100%, not enough coffee this morning"

He check insurance, license, etc.

"Good luck out there today"

Speeding tickets are a test of character. If I did something I say so. If I didn't realize it, I say that. If I get a ticket I probably deserve it. What kind of example are we sitting to lie over a couple hundred dollars?

My $.02

-First ticket at 23 after only 7 years of driving: nobody cares

-Unfamiliar with the area: street signs are universal, you weren't paying attention

-Passed a school before and didn't expect another one: er, seriously?

-Wouldn't have been speeding if the speed limit was still 40: So, you really weren't paying attention.

Something that is often in close proximity to those school zone signs is children. Claiming that you weren't paying attention and didn't see the sign will not get you anywhere in the court. Doing anything other than paying the fine is a complete waste of your time. Well, unless you want to be lectured in an open courtroom by a traffic judge. Even if the officer doesn't show up, which they will for the overtime pay, you will get the lecture from the judge for SPEEDING THROUGH A SCHOOL ZONE.

^^^^ This.

You were speeding in a school zone. This is not good. There should be zero tolerance for this.

Pay the penalty. Move on with life.

^^^^ This.

You were speeding in a school zone. This is not good. There should be zero tolerance for this.

Pay the penalty. Move on with life.
Fair enough. I don't condone what happened, but if people are out there talking to the judge or getting out of it and avoiding fines or increased insurance rates, why not try? I've learned my lesson and it won't happen there again :dunno: as far as I'm concerned anyway. As much as that's worth to anyone other than me.

Just in case you were looking for another rabbit hole to explore ... A thread on reportable traffic school:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53970

Thank you. That brings up an interesting point. I didn't think about reporting this to the FAA, especially on a medical.

Speeding in a school zone is supposedly zero tolerance in OK. City of Shawnee reportedly is dealing with a budget shortfall. Good luck.

One of the advantages of driving a service truck. It helps to be very polite. Always under posted speed in school zones though.

what happened to deferred adjudication ?

That was all the lady on the phone I called had time for at the court, she had a few more calls waiting. Basically was just posting to say it was a 249 dollar fine or I can show up and try the rest of the options you and other people suggested for appearing in court. A little steep at the fine but it could be a lot worse and I can afford to pay it. Just wondering if I should.

That was all the lady on the phone I called had time for at the court, she had a few more calls waiting. Basically was just posting to say it was a 249 dollar fine or I can show up and try the rest of the options you and other people suggested for appearing in court. A little steep at the fine but it could be a lot worse and I can afford to pay it. Just wondering if I should.

Pay your fine and be done with it, the most you'll save going to court is going to be about $50 even if they dismiss it with just court costs when you consider what earnings you'll lose pursuing it. After all, you are not innocent, you never know what price karma will set on you getting off.

Slight thread hijack:

When the sign says - school zone speed limit 25 "when children are present" - what does that mean?

When I can actually see the children, or when children are present in the school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight thread hijack:

When the sign says - school zone speed limit 25 "when children are present" - what does that mean?

When I can actually see the children, or when children are present in the school?

that means 25 mph when a cop is present...

Slight thread hijack:

I keep wondering who keeps putting up all those protest signs ... "End School Zone". :)

Pay the ticket, move on with life. Nobody cares.
amen. I never thought to ask "what do I do" after getting a tiicket. It has instructions printed right on it.

I might have been asking a lot.

Just wondering if I should.
nah, just ignore it. If they really care about it they'll issue a warrant for you. That's their way of offering you a free ride to the courthouse as a public service.

something that really bothered me - i got pulled over last month for speeding and he gave me a warning, telling me "it's been 25 months since your last moving violation, more than 2 years and I can give you a warning"

That he knew the time so precisely, means that the state police in tasmania, australia can run my tasmania driver license, link it to my illinois driver license, and they are plugged into the state police database in Illinois USA. FWIW i did not give them a usa driver license to get the australian one, i gave them my south african license as a reference.

The whole thing is a little spooky. Makes me think edward snowden might not be a kook after all.

Slight thread hijack:

When you actually see the children coming and going. It's kind of irrelevant anymore since now most everyone uses flashing lights and crossing guards at the effective times.

something that really bothered me - i got pulled over last month for speeding and he gave me a warning, telling me "it's been 25 months since your last moving violation, more than 2 years and I can give you a warning"

That he knew the time so precisely, means that the state police in tasmania, australia can run my tasmania driver license, link it to my illinois driver license, and they are plugged into the state police database in Illinois USA. FWIW i did not give them a usa driver license to get the australian one, i gave them my south african license as a reference.

The whole thing is a little spooky. Makes me think edward snowden might not be a kook after all.

They import your entire record in the Visa process. When I got my DL in Melbourne they already had my whole record on file.

It's kind of irrelevant anymore since now most everyone uses flashing lights and crossing guards at the effective times.

Not true, hence the question. We have LOTS of school areas with only a few - sometimes hard to see - signs. Sometimes the school zones seem pop up and surprise you if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Even though I am a pretty heads up and careful driver, I got caught in one a while back. GRRR.

Link to NCIC.

Back