Questions to ask during CFI interview(s)

Wow. What an idiot.

Good on you for straightening him out, even if your tactics were perhaps a bit overly enthusiastic.

Chris

:rofl: Would "yes" or "no" be the correct answer?

Geez, I don't think I've been asked so many questions even when interviewing for a job...

That said, how about asking how much experience the CFI has in using the IFR system, not counting giving (or getting) instruction.

Edit: When I first saw your list I thought it read "Do you hit on your students?"

21. Do you hit your students?

One of my taildragger CFIs used to smack our throttle hand off the throttle knob and push it forward himself, if we were too slow adding throttle after a landing bounce.

It helped speed reflexes. He was about 65 and had faster reflexes than most young guys.

I wouldn't want to possibly miss out on a good instructor, just because s/he smokes - as long as it wasn't happening in the plane! My last instructor was a smoker and he was most certainly worth putting up with a bit of cigarette smell!!! :)

Me, too. And I'm really rather anti-smoking.

He was (and still is) worth a little ashtray smell.

Practicing turns around a point. I notice a large buck in a bean field,and pointed it out to him. He said "My plane lets take a closer look Har Har Har" I said " Watchout for the tower over there " CFI said " Yow I see it".

Next thing I know we headed down aright at the deer and right at the tower. I said watch the Guy (sp?) wires CFI "yow I got It ".

We are down to about 50 to 70 feet looking right at a wire. PA-28-150 about approach speed ,full load 90deg. day. He pulls up full power and has to do about 60deg bank and just missed a wire ,I am talking mere feet.
Stall horn Blairs feel the buffet and he levels wings, pitches down and we are just about the height of a combine cockpit when we are finally flying well again. He scared me and himself all because of his TOUGH AND SUPER PILOT ATTITUDE. He was not a good pilot and not a good man.

I was just trying to use him to get finished up just because he was local.STUPID ON ME.

I am not at all proud of what I did! But the word is, he has had a much better attitude with his students since the. He is still not a very good CFI. He never used any aileron into the wind on any take he preformed with me. One time he about took us off the side of the runway because of it.

Jon

Sounds like you did a good thing for everyone in the end.

One of the most difficult and potentially dangerous judgements in aviation is the ongoing one of what a pilot can do and reasonably attempt v. what is beyond safe flight operations. That is why the NTSB will never go out of business.

Back