Life is stranger than fiction - Astronaut Arrested

What! No 200 mile high club? :confused:

Well.. they have done every other meaningless utterly worthless low orbit experiment they can think of over the last 25 years, some of them three times now. They might has well try a sex in space.

Pun/humor patrol. heard some of these about this incident
1. police think it's a love affair that rocketed out of control
2. LUST IN SPACE
3. I'm attacking America's enemies like a spurned astronaut!

there has to be more along with a Sally Ride joke I am sure.

Technically we were all conceived and born in space. We all reside on the great big space ship called earth.

live on a big round ball
I never do dream I may fall
And even one day if I do
Well I'll jump up and smile back at you

I don't even know where we are
They tell me were circling a star
Well I'll take their word, I don't know
But I'm dizzy so it may be so

I'm riding a big round ball
I never do dream I may fall
And even the high must lay low
But when I do fall I will be glad to go
Yes when I do fall I will be glad to go

Jimmy Buffett

This thing is just bizzare. I feel sorry for her. All of the them give up a
lot and work extremely hard for that opportunity. I think there's a lot of
things at work here we can't understand. We'd like to think astronauts
are super human .. but they're not. After going into orbit and
all the intensity and hard work that leads up to it .. and then poof
it's all over. That's gotta be a huge downer. Then when you couple
that with the breakup of her marriage (I guess they separated a few
weeks back), all these things just kind of came to a head. I'm sure it'll
cost her the career she's worked so hard for. I hope they have a little
compassion and don't treat her like a hardened criminal. While what she
did was serious and she's needs to account for it .. I hope it's
all put in perspective.

RT

Well what party poops. Why would they even care what consenting
adults do.

Well they are smarting from a couple of things. The Apollo 8 reading from Genesis irritated some people. I think it was on Apollo 16 there was a complaint about OJ that used some mild profanity that was broadcast. Later in the Shuttle era there were a few miscues with the songs used to wake the crew up too. NASA is very proactive in it's approach to how the public perceives it.

Well what party poops. Why would they even care what consenting
adults do.
Good question. That's why I asked Ron if NASA made coed crews sign a no-sex agreement. I had this same discussion with a stargazer buddy of mine not too long ago. He refuses to believe that it's possible that at some point in the shuttle program, weightless sex has been an "unofficial" on-board experiment. My person opinion is that someone has probably gone for that particular "first".B);)

Good question. That's why I asked Ron if NASA made coed crews sign a no-sex agreement. I had this same discussion with a stargazer buddy of mine not too long ago. He refuses to believe that it's possible that at some point in the shuttle program, weightless sex has been an "unofficial" on-board experiment. My person opinion is that someone has probably gone for that particular "first".B);)

Having been in the shuttle when it was on the ground I can tell there is not a lot of room. When the lab was installed in the cargo bay it was is use 24 hours/day. Not much privacy at all.

Having been in the shuttle when it was on the ground I can tell there is not a lot of room. When the lab was installed in the cargo bay it was is use 24 hours/day. Not much privacy at all.

Where there's a will...there's a way! B) Who wouldn't want to be the first is all I'm sayin?!? ;)

Well.. they have done every other meaningless utterly worthless low orbit experiment they can think of over the last 25 years, some of them three times now. They might has well try a sex in space.

Long time no see (here), Dan, welcome back!

A lot of what NASA does is "pure science" where they just try something to see what happens with no hypothesis behind it. Worthless a lot of the time, but when you come up with something good, it's really good.

Don't ask me for an example. :no:

Later in the Shuttle era there were a few miscues with the songs used to wake the crew up too. NASA is very proactive in it's approach to how the public perceives it.

Really? These days at least, each crewmember gets to pick a wake-up song for a day. What song(s) was/were deemed offensive? Odd.

A lot of what NASA does is "pure science" where they just try something to see what happens with no hypothesis behind it. Worthless a lot of the time, but when you come up with something good, it's really good.

I would disagree with your definition of "pure science". "Applied science" is that which has an immediate and obvious application, such as figuring out how to increase the power of a solid state laser. It is pretty much a synonym of engineering. "Pure science" is anything that pushes our knowledge forward but has no obvious, immediate application. Einstein's theory of general relativity would be an example. At the time, he was 'just' increasing our knowledge of how the universe works. Now, of course, that science is very practical and applied. GPS wouldn't work without our knowledge of general realtivity, for example.

I am quite certain that NASA would never approve an experiment that wasn't properly conceived and wasn't testing a hypothesis in one way or another unless, perhaps, its purpose is purely educational for school children or something like that.

I certainly don't know about all of the experiments that have been run in space, but I've never heard of one that I thought was without merit. The people who devise these experiments spend years putting them together for a very short time in orbit. It is a very competitive process to get your experiment chosen.

Chris

Long time no see (here), Dan, welcome back!

I'm looking under antiosteoporotic/cardiovascular astronautic activities...

Is it just me or does anyone else think this women and the "runaway bride" are the same person?

Attachments

• 250px-Jenniferwilbanks.jpg
    250px-Jenniferwilbanks.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
Now that this woman pilot/astronaut is back in Houston, on bond... aren't they concerned she may be a flight risk?

:rofl:

Here's how much room there isn't. Here's two pics of me standing on the mid-deck of the Shuttle. This one my arms are side-to-side:

Image-EA6B6C70E8D111D9.jpg

This one, arms are front to back:

Image-EA6BA154E8D111D9.jpg

Behind me in this picture you can see the bags that the astronauts sleep in.

The flight deck is even smaller. I don't have a good picture that shows the whole thing, because it's darn near impossible to get such a picture. (The second picture above was taken through the entrance door to the orbiter.)

The last time there was much room on the shuttle was probably STS-1 with Crippen and Young. However, I still wouldn't be surprised if somebody tried. The rest of the crew probably would have known, but I'm sure they can keep a secret. :yes: If nothing else, there's a lot of room on the ISS:

Image-EA6C0AEAE8D111D9.jpg

This picture is in the "node" (kind of the central piece) of the ISS, looking into the lab.

Hmmmm, sounds like a good goal to me. Wonder if that's going to be part of Bransons package.

Shoud keep my freaking goals to my self...

Now that it's out..

Think about it. The first child of space. It's profound on many levels.

Yes, we are all born in space on this big organic space ship but we are all so focused on our little niche, desperately hanging on to a little slice of the pie. But really, we are all on one ship and humanity is on the verge of a biological and evolutional germanation; the ability to send our DNA beyond the reach of our suns eventual destructive super nova. As far as we know no life form on earth has yet achieved this ability. We are almost there.

Pilots are spearheading the evolutionary destiny of DNAs survival in the universe. The USA has the greatest air (and space) pilots and flight programs in the world, for now anyway. We should all be proud to be a part of it, even in miniscule ways. Some day, some being will look back and say, "wow, those little putzes had a lot of gumption. Look at what they managed to do. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't be here."

Space baby? Yea, it's funny. It's goofy. It's embarrasing tabloid fodder. But it would be cool to be a footnote in history. Some of you may already be so. Let the rest of us dream.

MM

I am quite certain that NASA would never approve an experiment that wasn't properly conceived
Chris
Um, wouldn't it by definition be properly conceived? :rofl:

Hey, I just got an idea whay Diana can get Tom for his b'day! :yes: I suspect Jesse had the same idea, but actually showed restraint!

Think about it. The first child of space. It's profound on many levels.

So, pick the citizenship of a child born on the Int'l space station to a Russian cosmonaut mother and American astronaut father. Think there will be some political battles over who can claim the first child in space?

So, pick the citizenship of a child born on the Int'l space station to a Russian cosmonaut mother and American astronaut father. Think there will be some political battles over who can claim the first child in space?

No, I doubt there would be a negative issue allowed. The child would be given dual citizenship and they would probably come up with extra celebratory issues.

More sex in space or as they call it, the interstellar nasty, discussion
http://www.retrofuture.com/sex.html

There is also a book out that supposedly has as one of it's references a mysteries NASA document that details experiments in the mid 1990 related to sex. But it was so off the wall it is not even worth discussing.

Back