A Maintenance Paperwork Question

Dihedral

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dihedral
Eighteen months ago, an aircraft had several major alterations done for which there are no STCs. These alterations were entered into the logbook but no 337s were filed. Notwithstanding this, the annual was signed off then and again several months ago.
After the last annual, the approvals were obtained and the 337s were filed.
My question is: Is the last annual sign-off valid now or should the aircraft have a new annual to be legal.
Thanks!

I don't see anything wrong with the annual. You are mistaken if you think an annual inspection necessarily looks for let alone discovers prior illegal maintenance or alteration.

Of more concern was the idiot who approved the plane for return to service after performing the illegal modifications and the pilot in command's responsiblity for knowingly flying an unairworthy plane.

That's right! Owner/operator is responsible for the airworthiness of aircraft. It's a question I see at every IA seminar I've been to.

The last annual sign-off was "valid" even if the inspection wasn't done properly as long as you didn't know any better at the time. However, that's more a matter for the IA who signed it as being legal than it is for the owner/pilot.

As for where you stand on flying the plane today, as long as the paperwork is now correct, you're legal to fly the plane. Just be cautious about complaining to the FAA about this IA's lack of attention to detail, as their first question to you will be whether you flew the plane after you discovered these problems but before they were corrected.

Check the log book ,did the mechanic state that he installed owner supplied parts?if the last annual signed off ,you should be good to go.

The last annual sign-off was "valid" even if the inspection wasn't done properly as long as you didn't know any better at the time...

This is somewhat amusing. Captain Levy is advising you that it's perfectly okay to fly an unairworthy aircraft so long as you don't know. :dunno:

LoL

I would like to make a comment about your airworthiness certificate you really need to read the conditions on it. With alterations that were accomplished that most likely changed the type design without proper approval would mean you aircraft does not meet its type design and would invalid your airworthiness certificate. This makes your aircraft “unairworthy” I would not recommend flying it until this is resolved.

The IA did not use do diligence in their inspection and did not perform a complete inspection to ensure it met its type design, but it sounds like they signed it off as being airworthy. This does not relieve you of your part 91.7 responsibilities for airworthiness.

Just to CYA, I would recommend you file a NASA report and have the paperwork completed properly by a real A&P/IA. The only issue I see is getting the FAA to field approve your installations, but it can be done and I have done this myself as a mechanic.

I am sure if you go to your local FSDO and request to see the maintenance unit supervisor and explain your situation the FSDO would help you resolve the issue. At least that has been my experience as a former FAA inspector. This is one time the FAA could by your best friend, but I would file a NASA form first then make the call to the local FSDO.

This is somewhat amusing. Captain Levy is advising you that it's perfectly okay to fly an unairworthy aircraft so long as you don't know. :dunno:

LoL
I'm not saying that at all. I'm only saying the FAA won't hold you responsible for something about which you did not/could not know.

Eighteen months ago, an aircraft had several major alterations done for which there are no STCs. These alterations were entered into the logbook but no 337s were filed. Notwithstanding this, the annual was signed off then and again several months ago.

My question is: Is the last annual sign-off valid now or should the aircraft have a new annual to be legal.

Thanks!

I'm curious how this worked. Someone made major alterations that did not have any FAA approval. Then came back after 18 months, wrote them up on 337s, and sent them to the aircraft certification office(?) for approval.

Did you use a DER to work up the 337s and recommend approval of the data? Or was it an A&P or an IA that wrote them up. How long did it take the FAA to approve the modifications?

Thanks!

:rolleyes:......:popcorn:

Back