Cessna 150M FOR SALE

shmeon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
shmeon
I am selling my 1975 Cessna 150M N63197. $17,000. I can email a PDF copy of a simple flyer including pictures and how to contact me. I will update this thread with a link to online ads at the usual websites once those are posted. It's been a great plane for me but with a baby on the way and a house to buy, it's gotta go. A new GTX-327 transponder and new altimeter were installed this week! I can be reached at shmeon@hotmail.com or 510-427-5223. The plane is based in Petaluma, CA (O69).

-Dan

· 5538 Total Time
· 1922 Since Major Overhaul
· 479 Since Top Overhaul
· 727 Since Propeller Overhaul
· Annual Inspection May 2014
· GTX-327 Transponder
· TKM MX300 Nav/Com
· Sigtronics two-place intercom
· Lord Shimmy Damper
· Wheel Pants
· Logs Since New
· All ADs Complied With
· Compressions All High 70s.

Airplane Comes With:
· Custom Canopy Cover
· Cowl Plugs
· Pitot Tube Cover
· Exterior Rudder Gust lock

Don't do it man. Home ownership is overrated and the kid will end up disappointed dad doesn't own a plane anymore. Keep the plane, keep your dignity.

Sold my plane for home ownership. Worst buying decision of my life.

I'm good with the kids though....

In such a volatile housing market, why buy? We are looking at moving soon and I will not buy this time. Last two houses I got screwed on when I sold. I'm over it.

Interesting point about real estate. In a recent MBA course, one of my professors wondered aloud whether we aren't entering a new era where housing is no longer considered the investment it used to be.

I can say that as an employee of a Credit Union, a LOT of people walked away from real estate, both personally owned and rental properties. FI's had to swallow a whole bunch of lost loans and many of the more under-capitalized were closed, merged and/or liquidated by the FEDs. I realize this information isn't anything new, but some of it is still occurring and I've had the distinct displeasure of witnessing it.

Anyway, good luck w/ the sale and be sure to get on over to the Cessna 150-152 club if you haven't already to post your for-sale. They are just finishing up their annual fly-in and you'll have a bunch of people checking in online once they arrive back home today and tomorrow.

Someone needs to alert Kimberly on this one.

1. You have my cell phone number and email address, silly.

2. The funny thing is - I already met the guy a few weeks ago in Petaluma and saw him washing the 150. I walked up to him and said "nice plane" and he told me it was for sale. Not a lot gets past me at my home airport, I'm there all the time. Great guy, great plane.

3. I was laid off in April and though I had a small temp job for 5-6 weeks, they lied to me and said I was being considered for the position. They didn't want to pay the conversion fee and they interviewed 4 others for the position and selected from those 4 candidates. It was fun to work for the CEO of a startup / media company - but those 6 weeks could have been spent continuing my job search. With no money, I am in no place to buy a plane. Unemployment doesn't even pay rent in San Francisco. Also, until I have paid off the debt from getting a pilot's license, I do not want to get into any more debt. I will most likely not own a plane for another 5-10 years. As a single person with no savings or 401(K) those are the things I need to work on. I rent a 150 for $88 per hour which is just fine by me!

Thanks for thinking of me anyways though. I do love the 150:

13901473813_956ceff777_c.jpg

Would be good for her but last we heard she was out of work and looking. Hopefully she found something.

Nope, and rents in SF are skyrocketing. I found a deal and will be moving to San Francisco (my mom is a landlord and I signed a 1 year lease with her).

I continue to look but last week I had interviews, and yesterday I had 3 interviews, and Wednesday I have 2 interviews (both second / final interviews with potential for job offer).

The problem I continue to see with Executive Assistant to CEO type jobs is that some are minimum wage, and some are $120k per year. Nobody posts what they are looking for, so you waste a lot of time with interviews until the job offer time comes. That's ok though; I need the interview practice. The only part that sucks is the verification of employment and checking of references. One company told me that for all the employers I claimed in the past 14 years she could not reach a single one. I spent several hours calling / emailing them myself . . . . it is tough out there.

I have 18 years of direct experience in my field, so it is tough for me to find a job that can pay the bills. With a few bills, and rent, just "break even" for me would be close to $70k. That's not living comfortably and flying every weekend, that's just "normal" expenses and a little extra. Most jobs are in the $50k - 65k range so it is tough to hold out for better. I met two recruiting firms with 10 - 20 jobs each of $80k - $120k so we shall see where that goes. I have mixed feelings about staffing agencies, but they do work.

PS - Adam - Thanks for remembering!

Kimberly

Last edited:
And best wishes/good luck on your job search! It can be brutal but a good executive assistant can be worth their weight in gold! (Or even Avgas!)

John

I can't imagine how people are able to afford to live out there even with a really good job. I had a friend that moved here from there and what he paid just to park his car each month was nearing a house payment.

Plenty of opportunity around D/FW and Texas... and the rents are no where near as crazy as SF.

Join us out here... we have cookies (and BBQ)

I can't imagine how people are able to afford to live out there even with a really good job. I had a friend that moved here from there and what he paid just to park his car each month was nearing a house payment.

Just to cross the Golden Gate Bridge is $7 per day.

When I would drive from Marin County to my temp job in SF working for the CEO of a startup, parking was CHEAP ($9 per day).

With toll, gas, and parking . . . . I was easily spending $20 - $30 per day just to drive to the job. I was losing money for sure. That's like working for 1-3 hours for free!

SF is so outrageous they are thinking of imposing rent control laws on landlords who are taking advantage of tenants. Even in Marin, my rent went up 4 times in 4 years, about $400 per month over those 4 years. During that time, I maybe got one raise at my job (and it was not $400 more per month). That doesn't even factor in milk, gas, and other prices going up year over year over year.

For my next job, I'm going to have to make sure that the BASE SALARY is enough to cover me for 5 years with no raises. That's just the reality.

Kimberly

PS - Not complaining, I love SF and the culture. Just dealing with the reality.

Plenty of opportunity around D/FW and Texas... and the rents are no where near as crazy as SF.

Join us out here... we have cookies (and BBQ)

Mike, I just signed a 1 year lease. I love Texas (to visit) and have many friends there. But I do not like the flat, the heat, the bugs, or the humidity (none of which SF has). Texans are really nice people too (you included). It just isn't my state. I'm a California girl.... sorry! I'm actually excited to move back to my hometown. As a little girl, I would take the cable car all by myself at 7am up the hill to my school. Went to that school for 9 years. My life, my history, and my heart . . . . will always be in San Francisco.

Dan - sorry to take over your thread. Back to selling the 150.

I talked to some flight schools in Petaluma about your sale in June or July but they said you already had a few interested buyers?

Did those people fall through?

You should walk over to PPTC and talk to the owner and see if he wants to buy it as a training plane. They are the flight school closer to East Washington (not Aeroventure).

Kimberly

Good luck on the job search. In a couple of years you may want to consider a leaseback arrangement with a flight school using a relatively cheap C150. Don't expect to make money, but if done right you might be able to reduce your own costs i.e. not having to worry about hangar or tiedown fees. The 150 is a great plane. I did my private in one.

Good luck on the job search. In a couple of years you may want to consider a leaseback arrangement with a flight school using a relatively cheap C150. Don't expect to make money, but if done right you might be able to reduce your own costs i.e. not having to worry about hangar or tiedown fees. The 150 is a great plane. I did my private in one.

I wish I could buy Dan's 150 and do this with my flight school. I know the owner and am friends with the mechanics.

A good friend of mine does lease back and his last 100 hour cost him several thousand dollars in maintenance . . . something that, if only he flew the plane, would not have shown up for a long time.

So with leasebacks, there are costs etc. That being said, if you don't expect to MAKE money . . . . you may be OK.

You need to move someplace outside of the Bay Kimberly. Go inland a little bit. Fairfield isn't that bad but it's a third the cost of living of Sausalito and the City. Yeah the drive sucks, but....

I wish I could buy Dan's 150 and do this with my flight school. I know the owner and am friends with the mechanics.

A good friend of mine does lease back and his last 100 hour cost him several thousand dollars in maintenance . . . something that, if only he flew the plane, would not have shown up for a long time.

So with leasebacks, there are costs etc. That being said, if you don't expect to MAKE money . . . . you may be OK.

If a leaseback were a good deal the flight school / FBO would buy the plane themselves.

Ugh, I'd want to get the flight school to commit to handling maintenance costs before agreeing to a leaseback arrangement. Or at least agree to a proportional share based on hours flown.

You need to move someplace outside of the Bay Kimberly. Go inland a little bit. Fairfield isn't that bad but it's a third the cost of living of Sausalito and the City. Yeah the drive sucks, but....

I have signed a one year lease. I am not moving.

Can we please give back the thread to the airplane owner?

I dye my hair to look like a redhead. Lots of girls do. I am, by birth, a brunette. Pretty boring. So, with the green eyes and light skin . . . . I can "pull off" redhead no problem.

Kimberly

1. You have my cell phone number and email address, silly.

2. The funny thing is - I already met the guy a few weeks ago in Petaluma and saw him washing the 150. I walked up to him and said "nice plane" and he told me it was for sale. Not a lot gets past me at my home airport, I'm there all the time. Great guy, great plane.

3. I was laid off in April and though I had a small temp job for 5-6 weeks, they lied to me and said I was being considered for the position. They didn't want to pay the conversion fee and they interviewed 4 others for the position and selected from those 4 candidates. It was fun to work for the CEO of a startup / media company - but those 6 weeks could have been spent continuing my job search. With no money, I am in no place to buy a plane. Unemployment doesn't even pay rent in San Francisco. Also, until I have paid off the debt from getting a pilot's license, I do not want to get into any more debt. I will most likely not own a plane for another 5-10 years. As a single person with no savings or 401(K) those are the things I need to work on. I rent a 150 for $88 per hour which is just fine by me!

Thanks for thinking of me anyways though. I do love the 150:

13901473813_956ceff777_c.jpg

you are wise! Good luck

back to selling an airplane

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been off the forum for a few days crazy with work. It's funny to come back and see how far the CDI has wandered! Here's a little update:

- Yes the plane is still for sale. I thought I had some interested buyers but so far they have been all talk and no action. I'm still open to any and all offers.

- I haven't talked with any other folks around the airport (too busy, plane has been in the avionics shop, etc.) but I'll be around this weekend I hope.

- Given how much effort it can be to sell a plane I might be going with an aircraft broker/dealer. Anyone have any recommendations?

Best of luck with your airplane sale. My first airplane was a 150M. I still remember it was N6359K. My wife's uncle helped me find the plane then he taught me to fly it. I really enjoyed that little plane and flew it all over the southeast, including Sun-n-Fun. When my wife was pregnant with our second child I sold it. I knew it would not work for a family of four plus we were building our house at that time and I though the money would be better spent on my family and house. I figured I could just rent a 172 from the FBO at our little airport, but unfortunately he passed away shortly after I sold my plane and that plan went down the tubes. The nearest airport I could rent from was about 45 minutes from home and that didn't prove to be a very good option either. I really missed my little plane but was eventually able to find a four seater that works well for me. I'm sure you will miss your plane after you sell it but who knows what may work out down the line for you in the future.

The low price gave me a pause but I'm not ready to commit to the imminent overhaul on 1920 SMOH O-200. The $17k 150s that I wanted to buy were H models, and M is significantly nicer in my opinion (the AD trail is shorter), but I decided to hold onto my airplane for now. I think OP needs a buyer who's not afraid of pulling cylinders in the comfort of his hangar. The airplane looks nice.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been off the forum for a few days crazy with work. It's funny to come back and see how far the CDI has wandered! Here's a little update:

- Yes the plane is still for sale. I thought I had some interested buyers but so far they have been all talk and no action. I'm still open to any and all offers.

- I haven't talked with any other folks around the airport (too busy, plane has been in the avionics shop, etc.) but I'll be around this weekend I hope.

- Given how much effort it can be to sell a plane I might be going with an aircraft broker/dealer. Anyone have any recommendations?

I called the owner of my flight school for you, and he said he is not interested in a 150 (but is interested in a 152). This is because of the useful load aka Americans are not getting any thinner.

You should post on the bulletin board inside the terminal (have you done this)? Do so with tear off phone number thingies. Also do this at the bulletin board at the parking lot at Gnoss. I bet that would get your airplane sold.

Our monthly meeting was last night, but you should come to next month's meeting (Pilots Association). Or ask the President if you can post your airplane for sale in the monthly newsletter. Other meetings to attend include the monthly KSTS eaa meeting, the monthly Gnoss eaa meeting, and just going around local airports posting that flyer.

Good luck!

Back