Just fulfilled a lifelong ambition

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
I just completed a 1.3 hour fam flight in a 1943 N2S-3 Stearman open-cockpit biplane!

20140806_100051_zpse4nwkpqh.jpg

The ship was mine for taxi, takeoff, out to the area, contact flying and landing. An absolutely marvelous flight. First open-cockpit experience in 28 years, over 400 hours and now 39 different make/model aircraft. Simply amazing and everything I expected, the noise, the smells, the wind, and the in-your-face panoramic view - just indescribably cool.

20140806_100715_zps0pd9jejp.jpg

The GoPro footage is processing and won't be up until tomorrow probably.

Giga-thanks to my friend and TW mentor Dave Derby at KSEE for this wonderful experience. Crossed one off the bucket list. I have wanted to fly a Stearman since I first saw one in a picture probably 35 years ago.

20140806_115911_zpsfjka7lq5.jpg

'Gimp

Last edited:
Now ya need to fly the Stearman near Pearl Harbor and wait for a wave Japanese Aichi D3A to fly near you. Now that would be an experience no one would forget...

You lucky (deleted)...

Congrats!

Definitely been on my bucket list for a while now ...

I'm jealous! On my bucket list too.

I know a guy here who has a Stearman and all the parts to it, but it needs new wings or the wings re-built. Everything else is in good shape. He hinted at selling it, but I don't know, that's a lot of work that I am no Master at it. I would love to see him restore it and just get it back in the air.

There are no planes like old planes.

Definite blast, I did that a couple years ago when my wife gave me the ride as an early birthday present. Flew out of Kermit Week's field in Polk City Florida.

Had the same deal took care of taxi, takeoff, did commercial maneuvers for about .75 hours and came back to land. All the owner did was swing the tail around when we got back to the tent area where the plane sits.

The lazy 8's were such a blast as were the 60* turns.

That is very cool. Growing up in the 70's, there was a farmer not too far from my house with both a stearman and an AT-6...He was the first source that I learned of Oshkosh from...they were some very cool planes.

Excellent! It's a sluggish beast, but still a historic national treasure. Very happy for you.

I see something as beautiful as a Stearman and think of the responsibility to bring her back in one piece...and it's intimidating! Fortunately you had the pilot with you, but if you actually owned her it'd be all you.

Do I understand you to say that with just over 400 hours in the log book you've flown 39 different make/model aircraft? I have just 15 aircraft types in over 1200 hours and want to experience more types for the same reason you wanted to do the Stearman.

Congrats again & thanks for the pics.

Lucky dog!
I bet you were smiling much more during the ride! :)

Open cockpit is fun ... just not in the winter. I remember my ride in a Waco on a 40-degree day.

I see something as beautiful as a Stearman and think of the responsibility to bring her back in one piece...and it's intimidating! Fortunately you had the pilot with you, but if you actually owned her it'd be all you.

Do I understand you to say that with just over 400 hours in the log book you've flown 39 different make/model aircraft? I have just 15 aircraft types in over 1200 hours and want to experience more types for the same reason you wanted to do the Stearman.

Yes, the Stearman marks the 39th. A couple are minor differences like Cessna 150/152 or small-engine vs big-engine Long-EZ's but that's really only maybe 3 or 4 make/models like that. I am only counting time where I was truly sole-manipulator of the controls and did takeoffs and/or landings.

I've been really blessed to fly so many different aircraft and the experience of flying so many different types adds to the ability to jump into just about any plane and not make a fool out of myself.

Make good friends and ask to fly with them, it's worked real well for me over the last 28 years since I started flying.

'Gimp

Couple action shots from the GoPro footage....

One of the loops
Stearman-1_zps46f02ac3.png

Hammerhead after a loop
Stearman-2_zpsdd5d5217.png

Stearman-3_zps2e9b6f08.png

Stearman-4_zpsd5b3de17.png

'Gimp

This fires me up to get into the Great Lakes at KFUL. I keep stalling, too many other things to be done.

I hear the GL is a tight cockpit. I'm now thinking about the Stearman they also have. Whichever plane, I'd like to set up my GoPros for the flight.

:thumbsup:

Stearmans and other open cockpits are cool indeed. I've only had the pleasure twice. Once in a Stearman, once in a Starduster Too. Both at Shade Tree (MS82).

Both were a hoot!

I think I've flown over 40 in less than 200 hours. But I get out and about a lot. And to me "straight and level" is kind of cheating. So 40 of those "hey wanna fly for a bit" moments. And yes, I put them in my log book, as 0 hours of course.

Kimberly

That is so cool you go to fly a Stearman, I have 2 or more at my airport but have never been in them.

What's even funnier is that I am (for the second year now) on a crew for a biplane at the Reno Air Races..... and still, I have never been in one. You see, all the biplanes at Reno are single seat Pitts (for the most part, some Mongs, and some unique custom built biplanes).

Kimberly

Some day, I will buy one. After watching my dad and grandpa crop dust in Stearmans as I was growing up it's hard to resist them. It'll be awhile before I can afford one however :)

OK, now I am officially jealous, I didn't get to do acro in the one I flew

Great video. What model gopro are you using?
GoPro is a Hero3 Silver with the elastic headband. I forgot to grab my audio patch cable so it was just ambient noise.

I have only used the elastic headband twice and still am not happy with aiming it. I try not to use the WiFi and GoPro App on my phone as a monitor and remote since it kills the battery in the GoPro but am getting to the point I may have no choice to ensure it is aimed properly.

I made up a ballcap bill mount by ziptie-ing a mount to the center of the bill, works great, most of my Citabria videos were filmed with the 'Johnny Vision' ballcap setup.

Thanks on the vid, I enjoy editing them down and adding in music or other effects, it is a fun way to share/remember the flight.

'Gimp

Back