12th Annual N40 H.O.P.S. Party, Wed, 7/30/14

Glad you can my dear. I can't.....lol. Camping is definately NOT my thing.

I would like to stay in a hotel, sure, but the problem is all the hours spent getting to / from the oshkosh space and all the nightlife and parties you would miss (like Jay's party).

Do I know that one year everyone's stuff got soaked because of flooding while they were camping? Yes. Am I willing to accept that risk? Yes. But hey, I just want "the full experience." Maybe after a few years I'd prefer a hotel too.

I think I could see Jay's camp from the road on the bus back to the college.

You guys were on the South end of the row not far from the fence and paved road and not far from the N40 cafe or some big tent. And it looked like about thirty bicycles lying around the place.

Sorry we missed y'all, maybe next year.

Step one: buy tent

Step two: buy sleeping bag

(I live in a studio and over time got rid of what I wasn't using daily).

Tent definitely, and something from REI or another outdoor outfitters. Don't do for the cheap Walmart variety. They get storms in Wisconsin, powerful ones. You want a strong lightweight tent that can handle it. Mine has never seen a drop of water inside through the worst deluge. Most fit inside small containers as well.

You can do it easily without a sleeping bag though. Summer wx in Wisconsin isn't that bad. A blanket should be enough most nights. You might want a pad or something to keep you off the ground, but you can probably buy a cheap one at the Oshkosh Target and toss it when you're done.

The nice thing about camping in the N40 is its cheap and near lots of stuff going on, in addition to off site restaurants that aren't as pricey as what you get at the air show.

Speaking of OSH and the on field food, my son and I were saying that if someone would open up a soup and salad bar type place, they'd make a killing.

I overheard many people saying they wished they could get a good salad or light fare type vegan granola food. That kind of food is scarce at OSH. It's Burgers and brats with something fried mostly.

I heard there is one outfit that owns the food rights at OSH and everyone has to go by their criteria more or less. I don't know if that's true.

Speaking of OSH and the on field food, my son and I were saying that if someone would open up a soup and salad bar type place, they'd make a killing.

First thing I did when I got back was make and eat a great big salad. The only decent one I had all week was at Grant and Lesie's party.

I heard there is one outfit that owns the food rights at OSH and everyone has to go by their criteria more or less. I don't know if that's true.

It used to be Zaug's, but as I understand it, a new group came in last year, but I'm not sure that they got the whole field as Zaug's used to do. If anybody on the Board has current info I'd be interested to know also.

Thanks,

Jim

I overheard many people saying they wished they could get a good salad or light fare type vegan granola food. That kind of food is scarce at OSH. It's Burgers and brats with something fried mostly.

Hey, you're in Wisconsin! Now shut up and eat your fried cheese curds. :)

Hey, you're in Wisconsin! Now shut up and eat your fried cheese curds. :)

I ordered a hamburger at one place, and the girl said "one cheeseburger!"

I told her "no cheese please" and she said ..

"You're not from Wisconsin are ya?"

First thing I did when I got back was make and eat a great big salad. The only decent one I had all week was at Grant and Lesie's party.

And the next thing I did was hit the john about four times in one day after we got back.

I was carrying around about a four day cheese backup it felt like. :rofl:

And the next thing I did was hit the john about four times in one day after we got back.

I was carrying around about a four day cheese backup it felt like. :rofl:
Heh. Since we got back, all we've eaten are salads. Man, I love eating fried foods in WI, but it doesn't love me anymore.

When I lived in Charlotte I used to like to go to this place called "Red Rocks" for lunch. They had a salad called "Tom's Pittsburgh Salad" which had salad, flank steak on the salad, French fries on the flank steak, melted cheese on the French fries, and ranch dressing in the side.

Hey, don't laugh. I could tell my wife I had a salad for lunch. :goofy:

Step one: buy tent

Step two: buy sleeping bag

(I live in a studio and over time got rid of what I wasn't using daily).

Tent definitely, and something from REI or another outdoor outfitters. Don't do for the cheap Walmart variety. They get storms in Wisconsin, powerful ones. You want a strong lightweight tent that can handle it. Mine has never seen a drop of water inside through the worst deluge. Most fit inside small containers as well.

You can do it easily without a sleeping bag though. Summer wx in Wisconsin isn't that bad. A blanket should be enough most nights. You might want a pad or something to keep you off the ground, but you can probably buy a cheap one at the Oshkosh Target and toss it when you're done.

The nice thing about camping in the N40 is its cheap and near lots of stuff going on, in addition to off site restaurants that aren't as pricey as what you get at the air show.
Nay. It's been in the forties at least one night for the last two years. And someone will find some floor space for you in their tent or RV. So sleeping bag first, tent second. But I agree, get a quality one. Our Cabela's Taj Mahal has withstood 5 years now with no water. And We've been there at least 7 nights each year. As a 10 person tent, though, it isn't light!

I had to set up one of those things on South Bass Island. We called it the Taj Maholas, since it was brought by my pal who's last name is indeed Holas. Took an hour and a half to get up. My other pals were in town drinking and wondering what was taking so long. Heavy too.

The Italian concession with the funny name was pretty good. They had actual salads and they were decent. They look at you funny when you say no to meat on it. About the same $$$ as everywhere else

The Italian concession with the funny name was pretty good. They had actual salads and they were decent. They look at you funny when you say no to meat on it. About the same $$$ as everywhere else

I want to take some food next year.

Since we won't be camping, we can take a cooler with some jerky, vacuum packed gumbo and stew, some salad and green things, and other food we like along with some libations.

I also want to find or either build a contraption for places like OSH. I want a little four wheeled or three wheeled fold up wagon for the plane so we can drag our chairs and things around. If you can pull or push something, it's much easier than carrying it. Ideally, it could also serve as an impromptu table to eat on or a bench to sit on without unpacking the chairs. :dunno:

Back