I Need Your Help

So most people don't post financials on the internet. Here is a vague version:

1. Studios and 1 bedrooms in SF cost $2000 - $3000 per month. Look it up on craigslist if you do not believe me

2. Utilities are probably 100 - 200 on top of that

3. Commute (even if only one bus pass is needed) via car, bus, train, whatever is anywhere from 100 - 600 more per month

4. Food (even if you can make it on $10 per day) is at least another $310 per month

5. Alcohol, going out to dinner, whatever on top of that, plus gas.

6. Bills (in my case, unfortunately, there is debt from getting my PPL)

Oh and $6,000 in income (when I look at the pay and then the after tax pay) is taxed at about 25 - 35%. So a person making $60,000 or $5,000 per month is actually only taking home $3,250 per month. Look at the above and you will see what I mean by "break even".

I think in my case, #1 and #5 would be reversed.

Based upon what my nephew pays for a rundown tiny house in San Fran, two grand won't rent a closet. Amazing numbers there.

So, you love the place, you do what you have to, to stay.

You wonder: at some point, will the financial model that supports these kinds of ecosystems collapse? Maybe, but I don't see much evidence of it.

San Francisco is a place to visit, then leave, for me. My nephew and his wife are enjoying it, somewhat, but have not the remotest interest in staying there, cannot wait to return to Texas. It is where life insists that they be, just now. Nephew has gotten used to buying a new window for the truck regularly, after it gets broken into.

It's all in what you want.

A relative of mine tried living in the Dallas area, didn't like it, and moved back to southern California.

Kimberly, are definitely tied to California and SF? The numbers would be much better in other areas of the country.

I have signed a 1 year lease in SF. I would like a good job to pay off debt and then yes I can move but not at this time.

I just now saw the updates in this thread. I hope you find something soon Kim, and it sounds like you have enough irons in the fire to have a good chance of success. I was in the same position a few months ago, got a layoff notice in February with termination as of May 15. That sounds generous, but in academia February is too late to start looking for positions opening for the fall. There were only 8 positions nationwide for this coming year that were posted then or later and that I was qualified for, and I applied for every one of them. I was very lucky that my new employer was late this year in starting their candidate search. After a whirlwind interview process I was quickly hired and I just finished relocating last week. I will be making more than I ever did at my previous employer, and I'm now living in a Norman Rockwell small town in the middle of a hiker's paradise (a dream come true for me).

What I'm getting at is that my chances of finding anything were not good. I don't believe in justice in this world but persistence paid off for me, and I'm in a better place than I ever imagined possible. I'm sure things will work out for you too.

I just now saw the updates in this thread. I hope you find something soon Kim, and it sounds like you have enough irons in the fire to have a good chance of success. I was in the same position a few months ago, got a layoff notice in February with termination as of May 15. That sounds generous, but in academia February is too late to start looking for positions opening for the fall. There were only 8 positions nationwide for this coming year that were posted then or later and that I was qualified for, and I applied for every one of them. I was very lucky that my new employer was late this year in starting their candidate search. After a whirlwind interview process I was quickly hired and I just finished relocating last week. I will be making more than I ever did at my previous employer, and I'm now living in a Norman Rockwell small town in the middle of a hiker's paradise (a dream come true for me).

What I'm getting at is that my chances of finding anything were not good. I don't believe in justice in this world but persistence paid off for me, and I'm in a better place than I ever imagined possible. I'm sure things will work out for you too.

I was thinking about you because when I revisited the thread I saw what you had posted back in April and things did not sound good. With less than 10 openings in the USA I am so happy to hear that things worked out for you. Amazing you were willing to relocate, and super that you will be making much more money.

I am finding that, in life, effort in = effort out. So while unemployment doesn't pay the bills, if I focus 100% of my time on just the job search, and not on finding odd jobs or focus groups to provide under the table cash to supplement unemployment, I am getting interviews.

I've been told success finding a job is making searching for one YOUR fulltime job. Socializing, job referals, want ads, and job fairs get you there. Sleeping in, drinking coffee until noon, and goofing off is not getting you out there. It sounds to me like you're doing your part to find something.
Hope it works out. I've known a lot of people who did the latter until the well ran dry. They still have nothing to show for it and just whine about all the stuff they cannot do now.
Good luck!

Book suggestion for anyone who finds themselves in Kimberly's position

http://www.48days.com/store/48daysbook/

WYL-cover.jpg

Close to $6k a month is your "break even" number? Something is way wrong with that. I live in what some consider a "destination" area where cost of living is significantly higher than equivalent boring flatland communities. If I was anywhere close to pulling in $70k a year I would be shopping for an upgrade for my c150 with haste. (Or, more likely, be stashing about $50k of that in the bank every year.)

Is there any way to simplify your lifestyle slightly to make things a little easier financially?
I always find it curious how others can critique someone's lifestyle without hardly knowing the person. While working fulltime at x dollars a month, you rise to a certain level AND habit of spending. Even if you are frugal and salt away lots of money a month, does not mean you can just give up what you've built. You're getting your bills paid and doing what you like in the process. The you take a major hit like a cut in pay, loss of bonus, unexpected expenses, loss of job, and you are in the crapper. It doesn't mean all YOUR bills just vaporise and you can start a miser's lifestyle. Even if you incurred no new expenses, you still have all your old ones. And whose to say you've done anything wrong.
And frankly, if you are such a miser about money, think about what you are saving it all for. If for no reason other than to save it, how is your quality of life. Getting any fun out of it?
I've decided that since I cannot take it with me, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I hope I'm not disappointed when I get over to the other side and Peter greets me and says "Hope you have cash, we don't accept credit cards!"

Thanks. I'm single and I have no idea what "simplify your lifestyle" means. I don't go out, am not dating, don't eat out (only buy groceries and cook), and the only things I have that are "extra" are a $19 per month gym membership that gives me access to 500+ 24 hour fitness gyms (pretty good deal). I go 3-7 days a week to run on their treadmill.

Yes, once in a blue moon I'll buy a cup of coffee (instead of brewing it at home) or get a salad at McDonald's (instead of making one at home). But I hardly think I'm living a lavish lifestyle. My car is almost 10 years old and has 200,000 miles on it and it is finally paid off (first time in my life without a car payment).

I don't even have medical insurance and my dental is $50 per month because I would never go without a dentist due to many crowns and fillings etc.

Thanks. I'm single and I have no idea what "simplify your lifestyle" means. I don't go out, am not dating, don't eat out (only buy groceries and cook), and the only things I have that are "extra" are a $19 per month gym membership that gives me access to 500+ 24 hour fitness gyms (pretty good deal). I go 3-7 days a week to run on their treadmill.

Yes, once in a blue moon I'll buy a cup of coffee (instead of brewing it at home) or get a salad at McDonald's (instead of making one at home). But I hardly think I'm living a lavish lifestyle. My car is almost 10 years old and has 200,000 miles on it and it is finally paid off (first time in my life without a car payment).

I don't even have medical insurance and my dental is $50 per month because I would never go without a dentist due to many crowns and fillings etc.

Keep looking forward because someday you'll be looking back and laugh.

Update:

1. Phone screen last week for an hour with large SF company. In the next 2-3 weeks they will be done with phone screens and select 3 people to come in to meet executives. Hopefully, I will be chosen.

2. CEO level (final) interview with general contracting company yesterday. He told me that he is meeting 3 people total, and that he will decide for sure by Friday / Monday. Fingers crossed I will be made an offer. I really liked him and the company he built.

3. CEO level (not final) interview with small company in SF yesterday. They are meeting 5 people over the next few weeks and 1-2 will be chosen to come back for one final interview (via skype) with a Boston consultant that they employ. Hopefully I will be chosen for this next step.

4. A company called me for an interview tomorrow (Friday) in SF. Sounds interesting, we will see how that goes.

5. This morning the dean of a girls middle school emailed me and wants to meet me on Friday for an interview. We will see how that goes.

6. A staffing agency wants me to rewrite my resume to fit their clients and then plans to send my resume to 2 people. If those people like it, I will be asked to interview.

So..... things are skyrocketing on the job front. That doesn't mean offers, or fair pay. But at least they all have health insurance. I haven't seen a doctor in over 5 years because my last job did not have benefits. I would like some basic services, so that will be nice. I run 3-5 miles a day and figured the $600 in COBRA could be spent on debt etc so I never signed up.

1. Have not heard back from this company, though the time is not up. I will not hear back from them if I didn't make it to the next round of interviews.

2. Really wanted this job, they emailed me Monday that of the 3 finalists, I was not selected. Someone else got the job.

3. I did not have a good experience with this home based office and the interview was intrusive; after I sent a thank you note, they later that day emailed me that I would not be considered for the job.

4. I have not heard back from this company (a non profit in SF). However, I called and the person who the next interview with is on vacation for another 1-2 weeks. During this interview, though, the two executives promised me that I would hear back from them within a week (even if I wasn't selected to move on). That means I should hear from them by tomorrow (Friday) with an update.

5. I had an amazing interview with the "Head of School." This is a small, 60 per class, middle school (6th grade through 8th grade). It is private and all girls. They are a "progressive" school with no grades. She liked me so much that she introduced me to all the faculty, discussed salary, and would not let me leave without scheduling the next interview with the Asst Dean and Asst Head of School. I met them on Monday (this week) and even gave all my references over the weekend. It seemed like I had this job for sure, and even heard back from one executive when I sent out my thank you notes. However, it is now Thursday and I haven't heard a peep. Teachers show up today, parents next week, and students the week after that - and they haven't had an assistant since April. I will call or email tomorrow (Friday) if I don't hear back because this was sort of the perfect job for me. She even said I would be a great role model for the girls because I was a female pilot and mechanic.

This week, I have two interviews - one today (with a strange recruiting company who seems to have no office and wants to discuss my resume at a coffee shop), and one tomorrow (a two Michelin star chef wants an executive assistant at his restaurant).

I also still need to revamp my resume for the recruiters, but I have had bad luck with recruiters in the past.

We will not deal with recruiters. We have in the past. No more. From an employer's standpoint, the recruiter's fee and commission is a 30 percent deduction off your bottom line as an employee.

We will not deal with recruiters. We have in the past. No more. From an employer's standpoint, the recruiter's fee and commission is a 30 percent deduction off your bottom line as an employee.

Argh. A recruiter just called me. Apparently, with school starting to pick up this week, they want to "try me out".

I have an "interview" with her (a consulting firm) today at 1pm. She says in less than 30 days I should "get the job" and my paychecks will come from the school. Apparently, they will also meet other candidates during these 30 days but I will have a "leg up" because I am in the role.

I can understand this (sort of) because:

1. Their last Executive Assistant to the Head of School was there for 7 years and only left because she was moving to the midwest.

2. They found someone and made an offer to them. After much thought, she declined, and decided to be a stay at home mom to her 15 month old instead. After this is when they met me.

3. They hired an "outside consulting firm" apparently before they found me on craigslist, which is odd, because I met them without knowledge of this person.

4. With school starting, they no longer have time to continue their search, and liked me enough to put me in the role on a "trial basis". I think this is because you get a 12 month "contract" and they don't want to give me the contract after only meeting me off craigslist.

Reasons I want the job (temp to hire or not):

Right location, with parking

Right pay, full benefits (last job didn't have medical)

6-8 weeks of PTO (!!!) plus 19 school holidays, steady paycheck throughout days off.

12 month "contract" (this must be a school thing)

Really fun environment, works well with my career path, I will go to Board of Director meetings and act as secretary, and plan large fundraising events (they send 8 inner city kids through the school each year, picking them up and dropping them off and feeding them as part of the full scholarship to give them a chance to succeed).

So...... I meet this "consultant" today at 1pm to discuss the job. We'll see.

Tell them that you'll gladly accept a position as the head of the aviation department.

Good luck with the interview!

Good luck Kimberly! I have hired quite a few people with a process like you are describing. It is actually easier for the employer in my opinion. If I didn't like the person they provided, all I had to do was pick up the phone. If I did like them, after 90 days they were mine if I wanted them.

Argh. A recruiter just called me. Apparently, with school starting to pick up this week, they want to "try me out".

I have an "interview" with her (a consulting firm) today at 1pm. She says in less than 30 days I should "get the job" and my paychecks will come from the school. Apparently, they will also meet other candidates during these 30 days but I will have a "leg up" because I am in the role.

1. Their last Executive Assistant to the Head of School was there for 7 years and only left because she was moving to the midwest.

2. They found someone and made an offer to them. After much thought, she declined, and decided to be a stay at home mom to her 15 month old instead. After this is when they met me.

3. They hired an "outside consulting firm" apparently before they found me on craigslist, which is odd, because I met them without knowledge of this person.

4. With school starting, they no longer have time to continue their search, and liked me enough to put me in the role on a "trial basis". I think this is because you get a 12 month "contract" and they don't want to give me the contract after only meeting me off craigslist.

6-8 weeks of PTO (!!!) plus 19 school holidays, steady paycheck throughout days off.

Really fun environment, works well with my career path, I will go to Board of Director meetings and act as secretary, and plan large fundraising events (they send 8 inner city kids through the school each year, picking them up and dropping them off and feeding them as part of the full scholarship to give them a chance to succeed).

Sounds like a great opportunity!

We've all got our fingers crossed for you Kimberly!
But I still think you should move to Florida instead.

5. I had an amazing interview with the "Head of School." This is a small, 60 per class, middle school (6th grade through 8th grade). It is private and all girls. They are a "progressive" school with no grades. She liked me so much that she introduced me to all the faculty, discussed salary, and would not let me leave without scheduling the next interview with the Asst Dean and Asst Head of School. I met them on Monday (this week) and even gave all my references over the weekend. It seemed like I had this job for sure, and even heard back from one executive when I sent out my thank you notes. However, it is now Thursday and I haven't heard a peep. Teachers show up today, parents next week, and students the week after that - and they haven't had an assistant since April. I will call or email tomorrow (Friday) if I don't hear back because this was sort of the perfect job for me. She even said I would be a great role model for the girls because I was a female pilot and mechanic.

This week, I have two interviews - one today (with a strange recruiting company who seems to have no office and wants to discuss my resume at a coffee shop), and one tomorrow (a two Michelin star chef wants an executive assistant at his restaurant).

If you felt there was a good gel, go back in person. It's no crime to be aggressive about a good job fit these days.

If I am following - you interviewed with them before either of you had a relationship with the recruiter, right? If so, call the school to confirm what the recruiter is telling you. I would not put it past a recruiter to say that your relationship with the recruiter some how superseded the one with the school and the school must pay for you through the recruiter.

Don't sound suspicious when you call, just call to confirm that is the plan (as described by the recruiter, not the plan I described!)

Sounds good for the School Kim. Just make yourself indispensable over the 30 days and I'm sure it will work out.

If I am following - you interviewed with them before either of you had a relationship with the recruiter, right? If so, call the school to confirm what the recruiter is telling you. I would not put it past a recruiter to say that your relationship with the recruiter some how superseded the one with the school and the school must pay for you through the recruiter.

Don't sound suspicious when you call, just call to confirm that is the plan (as described by the recruiter, not the plan I described!)

I was thinking the same thing. Kimberly could save them 30% of first year compensation if the recruiter was pulling a fast one.

Good luck, Kimberly!

A relative of mine tried living in the Dallas area, didn't like it, and moved back to southern California.

Exactly.

You like what you like, and all the encouragement by others cannot change that.

I loved living in Fullerton - there was all that other "LA-area stuff" that was too much.

'Course, Dallas is not exactly the same as it was when I moved back here 25 (!) years ago, and I will not stay in the city when (if?) I retire.

It is likely they are payrolling it though the recruitment agency, since it is temp to perm. That is done all the time for various reasons,

Anybody hear from Kimberly lately? I hope she landed a good job by now

Last I knew she has found a job and feels pretty good about. Hopefully she'll come fill in the blanks.

Best Christmas present ever: a full time job. I start on Monday, and it's temp-to-hire (up to six months as a temp). It's only a 15 minute drive from my apartment, free parking, very competitive pay. This biotech company has 500 employees and has been around for almost 20 years..... Fingers crossed! I got laid off in April 2014, and with one short 8 week temp exception, I've been unemployed ever since. This is exciting. I'll be a chief of staff type, supporting the COO, SVP, VP, and Director...... on special projects and events.

This is what she posted on FB Christmas day.

Good to hear.

Hopefully she'll restart the DR Baby Steps so that if employment disaster strikes again, it's less of a stress/panic situation because debt is gone or minimized, and there is a large reserve job finding war chest saved up.

Back