I Need Your Help

I know, agreed. Then tomorrow I work on my resume. Several pilots on FB have sent me ideas of who to contact.

Let me know if you want to work for a company that develops innovative smartphone apps for the aviation industry. Your knowledge and existing network in this industry would be of biggest help. An assured job for at least the next 2 years.. All you need to do is remain in touch with your contacts in the industry and build new ones. Similar to an office manager role.. but has more to do with maintaining & building new relationships.

The most valuable thing I was taught in counselling during a recent job search was that 95% of openings advertised are not actually open. Many are just covering bases legally before already-chosen candidates start work. Getting the job you want is all about networking, and talking to actual hiring managers. (In your case, that's CEOs.)

Exactly correct. Research has shown that 85-90% of jobs are filled through personal networking (includng recruiting), not through ads. Sometimes ads are simply to "cover bases" (as you note), sometimes it's because the employment laws require a certain amount of advertising (broadcasting long had an EEO requirement where the broadcast licensee had to submit a list of jobs, where they were advertised, ethnic data, etc), sometimes they're to collect salary & "available people" data (why some require that you send salary history), and sometimes to see who might be wanting to leave the competition ("competitive intelligence"). Most replies are outright ignored.

There is no requirement for "truth in advertising" with respect to employment advertising.

There are also many admin assistants hired through recruitment and temp firms, in part to conceal turnover from competitors, so make those rounds with your resume, too.

Please. It's a business necessity in response to the "ethics" of many employees, some of which are on display in this thread. People also have emotional reactions and do destructive things until they calm down. I don't fault companies for sending them to the sidewalk with a cardboard box before they go nuts or steal stuff.

Not always. And it certainly doesn't square with managers and executives at the same companies that are given time to "wrap up" or are given huge severance packages.

Some do it quickly for a variety of reasons - to prevent the employees from talking to others, to prevent leakage of company info, to prevent employees from taking written notes that may be used in a lawsuit against the company for improper behavior, to prevent exposure of evidence that could be used against the company, to reduce liabilities, or to get the employee out the door before the end of the month so they don't have to pay benefits for another 30 days.

It is also unfortunate that managers doing the firing often don't know until the last minute.

Again depends on the company. Most managers know when something is afoot, either from budgeting or other means.

My experience in broadcasting, an industry hammered by downsizing the last 20 years, has ranged from two weeks' notice to zero, and in each case my manager was also losing his position.

I am aware of one market manager that was fired by phone, while he was on a client appreciation trip (where they took the largest advertisers on a trip to thank them for the business). That was not very bright on the part of upper management.

The only truly unethical experience I've had was with a podcast client who I gave two weeks notice, who decided that was an excuse not to pay me for my last two weeks. Even that was not unexpected.

While I understand the rationale for dumping a long-term employee without notice, there are cases where it's ethical, cases where it's not, and cases where the ownership/senior management does far more damage to both the company and reputation. In the absence of a non-disparagement clause in a severence agreement, the word will get out quickly. And when it does, it can affect customers desire to purchase products - as well as setting a bad reputation for prospective future employees. There are several web sites where folks share their experiences......

Not in SF. We have a number of clients in the downtown area, and good office managers - having met Kim, I have no doubt she is one - will typically make $60K and a small bonus, on top of options that can easily add another 50% on top of that when the company exits (if it does). These women - and they are invariably women - are usually incredibly valuable, and know more about the inner workings of these organizations than most employees. They end up being "everyone's EA". I always make sure to befriend them because no one else seems to ever know everyone and be on top of everything in a general sense as they do. It's not a shock when companies grow as fast as they do here - you really need someone like that.

So Kim is not out of line if this is the sort of position she is referring to.

That's exactly correct, and Kim fits into that category. "Runs the company", if you will. Many professional firms and offices pay hansomly for the experience she has, as do start-ups and similar entities. A qualified, experienced, sharp office manager is worth every penny of what Kim is asking, especially in SF.

Not in SF. We have a number of clients in the downtown area, and good office managers - having met Kim, I have no doubt she is one - will typically make $60K and a small bonus, on top of options that can easily add another 50% on top of that when the company exits (if it does). These women - and they are invariably women - are usually incredibly valuable, and know more about the inner workings of these organizations than most employees. They end up being "everyone's EA". I always make sure to befriend them because no one else seems to ever know everyone and be on top of everything in a general sense as they do. It's not a shock when companies grow as fast as they do here - you really need someone like that.

So Kim is not out of line if this is the sort of position she is referring to.

I don't think anyone said it was at least not for the Bay Area but is for other areas of the country. Point was that she would make less elsewhere but also have a much reduced cost of living. She hasn't responded so I'll assume that she is not considering a move, which is fine I just wanted to throw that option out there.

You'd think any boss smart enough to figure that out would be smart enough to recognize the long term downsides.

Yes, but wouldn't that require thinking beyond today?? Not everyone does that.

Nothing yet. Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I am working on my resume and will email to those who privately or publicly asked for a copy. To save money I haven't even been to the airport in a long time . . . saving up for the Reno Air Races (PRS is in June for all the rookies).

Might try to join in on a fly-in this weekend (as a passenger)....

That sucks. I'm sure you're good at what you do. Just judging how you go after stuff you want to do in your free time. (Never met a successful slacker, is what I'm saying here.)

Hang in there, Kimberly. Something will show up soon.

Nothing yet. Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I am working on my resume and will email to those who privately or publicly asked for a copy. To save money I haven't even been to the airport in a long time . . . saving up for the Reno Air Races (PRS is in June for all the rookies).

Might try to join in on a fly-in this weekend (as a passenger)....

Hope something turns up soon, hang in there. A friend of my wife's is in SF in a similar boat (she's an industrial designer with a good portfolio), it's a tough going. You would think with Apples and Googles and everyone high-tech being in one place, it would be easier. She's freelancing, sort of, and thinking of moving back to Michigan due to cost of living issues.

I know flying is the first thing to get cut after a job loss. :sad: I fly Wings of Mercy missions, and WoM requires 2 pilots up front, on my flights my SIC doesn't pay unless he wants to log stick time. If it's an expensive a/c we're taking, we'll agree ahead of time to split 50/50 with me flying one way and SIC flying the other. Anyway, you get the idea, if you have WoM out west, you could be flying for little money, or for free. They do have SIC hourly requirements, however, and SIC has to be IR & current. Don't know if you meet the requirements, but it's an option on how to stay connected to aviation during this time. Good luck, rooting for you.

Kimberly, it won't help much, but there's a lot of job cutting going around. As a result of funding issues among the customer base, my company is (again) cutting a number of "overhead" positions.

Mine is one of them. So I plan on putting the plane on the market for sale in the very near future.

I also know of one other person that recently got notice they would be cut in the near future.

Well, I don't discuss personnel matters with staff. Exec Asst/Ofc mgr work isn't a strategic position. I guess there could be some office mgmt with large direct reports that would need to rank their empl, but there's no way I would give advance notice to staff about layoffs.

Guess I really am a liar. meh. I won't belabor it in this thread anymore, sorry.

Hmm,

"We're downsizing, so you gotta go today." Yet "We expect at least 4 weeks notice prior to you quitting."

First, Kimberly, sorry about your situation, it sucks! :mad2:
As an employer, I very seldom if ever give layoff or termination notices, I do make sure that all vacation earned is paid and normally give two weeks pay as severance, exceptions are firing for cause, theft etc. All industries are different and many parts of the country have different laws and ways of handling employment terminations. I will let people work a notice, where most car dealerships want you out as soon as you mention leaving. ;) Salespeople generally leave immediately, get a box and hit the door, or bring a box and sneak out right after they get paid. :rolleyes: I hate laying people off, when we went through downsizing in 2007-08, I sat down with every employee and explained what we were doing and gave a letter or recommendation to the ones that wanted it.
Way better than your competitors did. Employees went home friday, and came to work on Mon. to find the doors locked. Techs couldn't even get in to get their tools.

Way better than your competitors did. Employees went home friday, and came to work on Mon. to find the doors locked. Techs couldn't even get in to get their tools.

That is when it is OK to break open the doors to get their tools... IMHO.... I surely would...

That is when it is OK to break open the doors to get their tools... IMHO.... I surely would...

Yeah. That's just theft. Sone of our machinists have tens of thousands of dollars in their tools.

Friends, come to Texas. The only hiring problem here is finding enough people.

Hmm,

"We're downsizing, so you gotta go today." Yet "We expect at least 4 weeks notice prior to you quitting."

American businesses run by greedy idiots. That's why you never give notice before quitting.

Friends, come to Texas. The only hiring problem here is finding enough people.

For me over the past few weeks... Finding folks that actually want to work....

Trying to hire a production worker and delivery driver, had 20 people contact me through the www.WorkInTexas.com program or craigslist, set up an interview time, and then not show up. Follow up phone calls resulted in voice mails not returned, being hung up, and one cuss out. :mad2: :mad2:

I don't understand it when people come to me looking for work but then when I want to put them to work they don't want to work.

--sigh--

In about 8-12 weeks, I may be recruiting for someone to manage my production department. Gonna need someone who knows how to lead a team of people, set and execute plans and budgets, and wants to get a nice cut of the profits they create.

Hopefully those candidates will actually show up for the frelling interview.

For me over the past few weeks... Finding folks that actually want to work....

Trying to hire a production worker and delivery driver, had 20 people contact me through the www.WorkInTexas.com program or craigslist, set up an interview time, and then not show up. Follow up phone calls resulted in voice mails not returned, being hung up, and one cuss out. :mad2: :mad2:

I don't understand it when people come to me looking for work but then when I want to put them to work they don't want to work.

--sigh--

In about 8-12 weeks, I may be recruiting for someone to manage my production department. Gonna need someone who knows how to lead a team of people, set and execute plans and budgets, and wants to get a nice cut of the profits they create.

Hopefully those candidates will actually show up for the frelling interview.

We have the same problem hiring warehouse help. Interview someone that comes across well, tests well. Send them for the background check and drug test, and they disappear. One out of ten of those that actually pass turns out to be worth a hoot.

Wow, haven't been to POA in months.

Some updates:

As mentioned, I was laid off in April.

I did look for high paying work and finally found something in June.

The only reason I accepted a "temp" job (I hate temp agencies) was because I was told I would be considered for the position. This was a direct lie.

So I worked for a busy startup / media company for 5-6 weeks.... pretty much 24 hours per day but only reporting 8. What a stressful job (but that's life).

They lied to me and said I was being considered for the position. They didn't want to pay the conversion fee and they interviewed 4 others for the position (from Craigslist) and selected from those 4 candidates.

It was fun to work for the CEO of a startup / media company - but those 6 weeks could have been spent continuing my job search.

Unemployment doesn't even pay rent in San Francisco.

Though rents in SF are skyrocketing. I found a deal on a studio and will be moving to San Francisco (my mom is a landlord and I signed a 1 year lease with her).

I continue to look but last week I had interviews, and yesterday I had 3 interviews, and Wednesday I have 2 interviews (both second / final interviews with a CEO and a potential for a job offer within a few weeks).

The problem I continue to see with Executive Assistant to CEO type jobs is that some are minimum wage, and some are $120k per year. Nobody posts what they are looking for, so you waste a lot of time with interviews until the job offer time comes. That's ok though; I need the interview practice. The only part that sucks is the verification of employment and checking of references. One company told me that for all the employers I claimed in the past 14 years she could not reach a single one. I spent several hours calling / emailing them myself . . . . it is tough out there.

I have 18 years of direct experience in my field, so it is tough for me to find a job that can pay the bills. With a few bills, and rent, just "break even" for me would be close to $70k. That's not living comfortably and flying every weekend, that's just "normal" expenses and a little extra. Most jobs are in the $50k - 65k range so it is tough to hold out for better. I met two recruiting firms with 10 - 20 jobs each of $80k - $120k so we shall see where that goes. I have mixed feelings about staffing agencies, but they do work.

Considering the real estate boom in Mountain View, I would be surprised if Google didn't have openings.

Google does have openings and I have applied through someone who works for Google Glass. Even with all that, they have not called me. To get into Google you have to be a superstar. I am one, but my last job at a non-tech company . . . does not appeal to them.

Google is one of the best employers and it would be fun to work there. I will keep trying.

Some updates:

The only reason I accepted a "temp" job (I hate temp agencies) was because I was told I would be considered for the position. This was a direct lie.

So I worked for a busy startup / media company for 5-6 weeks.... pretty much 24 hours per day but only reporting 8. What a stressful job (but that's life).

They lied to me and said I was being considered for the position. They didn't want to pay the conversion fee and they interviewed 4 others for the position (from Craigslist) and selected from those 4 candidates.

It was fun to work for the CEO of a startup / media company - but those 6 weeks could have been spent continuing my job search.

Though rents in SF are skyrocketing. I found a deal on a studio and will be moving to San Francisco (my mom is a landlord and I signed a 1 year lease with her).

I continue to look but last week I had interviews, and yesterday I had 3 interviews, and Wednesday I have 2 interviews (both second / final interviews with a CEO and a potential for a job offer within a few weeks).

The problem I continue to see with Executive Assistant to CEO type jobs is that some are minimum wage, and some are $120k per year. Nobody posts what they are looking for, so you waste a lot of time with interviews until the job offer time comes. That's ok though; I need the interview practice. The only part that sucks is the verification of employment and checking of references. One company told me that for all the employers I claimed in the past 14 years she could not reach a single one. I spent several hours calling / emailing them myself . . . . it is tough out there.

I have 18 years of direct experience in my field, so it is tough for me to find a job that can pay the bills. With a few bills, and rent, just "break even" for me would be close to $70k. That's not living comfortably and flying every weekend, that's just "normal" expenses and a little extra. Most jobs are in the $50k - 65k range so it is tough to hold out for better. I met two recruiting firms with 10 - 20 jobs each of $80k - $120k so we shall see where that goes. I have mixed feelings about staffing agencies, but they do work.

It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your decision to stay in San Francisco. There are a bunch of jobs that will fit your need elsewhere (even just down the road in Los Angeles).

Employers that lie. Wow, I never knew that. :rolleyes:

Hope you get something soon.

As others have said, keep your chin up and keep digging. Hopefully something plays out soon for you. Things are definitely tough in many places around the country. We just had an executive position open up at the hospital here (in rural PA) and we had 80 resumes in a matter of no time at all from all over the country.

Best of luck! Sounds like you have a bunch of people going to bat and crossing their fingers for ya...

It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your decision to stay in San Francisco. There are a bunch of jobs that will fit your need elsewhere (even just down the road in Los Angeles).

I have signed a one year lease in San Francisco.

I am not moving.

Also - 375 jobs on Craigslist match "EA" right now in my area. I just need to hang tight, things are coming along. Tomorrow I have two CEO-Level (final) interviews. If these two don't work out I may have 10 more with a few recruiting firms I met today, after a couple of resume tweaks.....

Some updates:

And where has all that a-- kissing gotten you??

Close to $6k a month is your "break even" number? Something is way wrong with that. I live in what some consider a "destination" area where cost of living is significantly higher than equivalent boring flatland communities. If I was anywhere close to pulling in $70k a year I would be shopping for an upgrade for my c150 with haste. (Or, more likely, be stashing about $50k of that in the bank every year.)

Is there any way to simplify your lifestyle slightly to make things a little easier financially?

As the another (semi) San Franciscan I can relate to Kimberly's desire not to move away. I have relatives who would never leave, and a mother who insisted upon staying here even though it created a logistical problem for me to care for her since I am the responsible party but live 900 miles away.

But in coming back here so often I have decided that when I am no longer working, or at least no longer working at my current job, I will relocate here too, even though I could sell the condo here in SF for much more than my house on three acres in Colorado. So it's not always a logical decision for people.

Totally understand the not wanting to relocate part. I've been living in overpriced Colorado resort towns for the last decade and wouldn't have it any other way.

I still think requiring anything close to $80-$100k annually to live comfortably is crazy. I will admit to living a humble and frugal (read: dirtbag ski-bum) lifestyle though. Never be too proud to turn down the expensive dinner date for beers and the backyard grill.

As the another (semi) San Franciscan I can relate to Kimberly's desire not to move away. I have relatives who would never leave, and a mother who insisted upon staying here even though it created a logistical problem for me to care for her since I am the responsible party but live 900 miles away.

But in coming back here so often I have decided that when I am no longer working, or at least no longer working at my current job, I will relocate here too, even though I could sell the condo here in SF for much more than my house on three acres in Colorado. So it's not always a logical decision for people.

Another way to look at it is that finances are not the only component of a logical decision. Money is important, but it's not everything.

Close to $6k a month is your "break even" number? Something is way wrong with that. I live in what some consider a "destination" area where cost of living is significantly higher than equivalent boring flatland communities. If I was anywhere close to pulling in $70k a year I would be shopping for an upgrade for my c150 with haste. (Or, more likely, be stashing about $50k of that in the bank every year.)

Is there any way to simplify your lifestyle slightly to make things a little easier financially?

There isn't much you can do in a city where a run down one room flat costs a couple grand a month. I guess quit drinking and live on Ramen noodles.

There isn't much you can do in a city where a run down one room flat costs a couple grand a month. I guess quit drinking and live on Ramen noodles.

Let's not get crazy, now....

;)

Based upon what my nephew pays for a rundown tiny house in San Fran, two grand won't rent a closet. Amazing numbers there.

So, you love the place, you do what you have to, to stay.

You wonder: at some point, will the financial model that supports these kinds of ecosystems collapse? Maybe, but I don't see much evidence of it.

San Francisco is a place to visit, then leave, for me. My nephew and his wife are enjoying it, somewhat, but have not the remotest interest in staying there, cannot wait to return to Texas. It is where life insists that they be, just now. Nephew has gotten used to buying a new window for the truck regularly, after it gets broken into.

It's all in what you want.

So most people don't post financials on the internet. Here is a vague version:

1. Studios and 1 bedrooms in SF cost $2000 - $3000 per month. Look it up on craigslist if you do not believe me

2. Utilities are probably 100 - 200 on top of that

3. Commute (even if only one bus pass is needed) via car, bus, train, whatever is anywhere from 100 - 600 more per month

4. Food (even if you can make it on $10 per day) is at least another $310 per month

5. Alcohol, going out to dinner, whatever on top of that, plus gas.

6. Bills (in my case, unfortunately, there is debt from getting my PPL)

Oh and $6,000 in income (when I look at the pay and then the after tax pay) is taxed at about 25 - 35%. So a person making $60,000 or $5,000 per month is actually only taking home $3,250 per month. Look at the above and you will see what I mean by "break even".

Some companies still offer "free money" and dollar for dollar matching in a 401(k) account so my take home would be even less because I don't really have any retirement savings and I would want to take advantage of that. The reality is to live a "normal" life in SF you need about $60,000 or more. The reason I want more than that is to pay off my debt so that I don't have any bills (I own my car already). If I don't have any bills, I can move, and (perhaps) get in to something much lower pay like aviation. I could be a mechanic or something like that. I have zero interest in a flying job as a pilot.... but working in aviation will allow me to fly a hell of a lot more "after hours".

Update:

1. Phone screen last week for an hour with large SF company. In the next 2-3 weeks they will be done with phone screens and select 3 people to come in to meet executives. Hopefully, I will be chosen.

2. CEO level (final) interview with general contracting company yesterday. He told me that he is meeting 3 people total, and that he will decide for sure by Friday / Monday. Fingers crossed I will be made an offer. I really liked him and the company he built.

3. CEO level (not final) interview with small company in SF yesterday. They are meeting 5 people over the next few weeks and 1-2 will be chosen to come back for one final interview (via skype) with a Boston consultant that they employ. Hopefully I will be chosen for this next step.

4. A company called me for an interview tomorrow (Friday) in SF. Sounds interesting, we will see how that goes.

5. This morning the dean of a girls middle school emailed me and wants to meet me on Friday for an interview. We will see how that goes.

6. A staffing agency wants me to rewrite my resume to fit their clients and then plans to send my resume to 2 people. If those people like it, I will be asked to interview.

So..... things are skyrocketing on the job front. That doesn't mean offers, or fair pay. But at least they all have health insurance. I haven't seen a doctor in over 5 years because my last job did not have benefits. I would like some basic services, so that will be nice. I run 3-5 miles a day and figured the $600 in COBRA could be spent on debt etc so I never signed up.

I'm just now reading this thread. I'm glad others have offered some help, and some sympathy from others in the same situation. I hope you keep us posted, because you know we're pulling for you.

Kimberly, are definitely tied to California and SF? The numbers would be much better in other areas of the country.

Back