Boat lovers check out this 1956 Chris Craft

I see what happened to HAS's link... when he clicked the "insert link" button, he forgot to wipe out the pre-filled "http://" before pasting in the YT link.

I rebuilt the engine in this Chris Craft ('63 I think) for a friend a few years ago. It sank in the slip and he had inherited it from his father who died much too young. He did the restoration as a rememberance of his Dad.
It turned out beautifully. I had quite a time getting the valve/distributor tiiming correct. The Chris Crafts can have either left or right turning engines (due to the existance of twin screw boats) and they turn the engine flywheel forward, and put the distributor at the aft end. All in all pretty confusing for someone who has never worked on a boat.

Attachments

• P8220112.JPG
    P8220112.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P8190107.JPG
    P8190107.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P8220113.JPG
    P8220113.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P8220115.JPG
    P8220115.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 27
If you're incluned to use the forums tags, you can insert a YouTube video including thumbnail snapshot by the following:
PHP:
[MEDIA=youtube]VideoID[/MEDIA]
where "VideoID" is the alphanumeric string that YouTube applies to each clip. It's the trailing part of just about any link to the particular video.

The result in this case, where the VideoID is "IlUm2XkPsTg", is this:

Not a Chris Craft, but here's my boat...
boatinwaterslow.jpg

Why I thank you for the help.

Here is one just like it in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWHA_MFg5A

I love the old 27-35' wood cabin cruisers for burying in the back yard to the waterline and putting a jacuzzi in the after cockpit/engine room, a little bar/lounge in the wheelhouse area, and a guest room in the cabin. Most of them will have a pump head that if you feed it pressure water you can connect to the sewer or septic with no concern about slope or elevation. Makes it really easy to screen in as well as needed.

I wouldn't try to turn that back into a boat, just salvage the running gear for the collector/restorer market and do something creative with the hull and cabin.

Why I thank you for the help.

Here is one just like it in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWHA_MFg5A

I spent much of my childhood on that lake and my Dad had two Chris Crafts. One was a 23 ft open skiff and the other was a twin engine 28 ft Hardtop skiff with a small cabin below deck. Both were kept in immaculate condition until he sold each one. I wonder where they are now?

Not a Chris Craft, but here's my boat...
boatinwaterslow.jpg

We have one of those too. Its in really nice shape, I will get some pics. The one here is a Chris Craft Utility run-a-bout.

Last edited:
If you're incluned to use the forums tags, you can insert a YouTube video including thumbnail snapshot by the following:
PHP:
[MEDIA=youtube]VideoID[/MEDIA]
where "VideoID" is the alphanumeric string that YouTube applies to each clip. It's the trailing part of just about any link to the particular video.

The result in this case, where the VideoID is "IlUm2XkPsTg", is this:

I can do this on other forum. On this forum I have had trouble getting this to work. I will try again. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I thought I did just as you describe. I must have missed something.

Thanks for trying to help.
Tony

Last edited:
The pics suck. I dropped my camera and it has not been the same.

Attachments

• boat 001.JPG
    boat 001.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 21
  • boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • boat 003.JPG
    boat 003.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
  • boat 006.JPG
    boat 006.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
Neither of these boats will ever see the water again.

I love the old 27-35' wood cabin cruisers for burying in the back yard to the waterline and putting a jacuzzi in the after cockpit/engine room, a little bar/lounge in the wheelhouse area, and a guest room in the cabin. Most of them will have a pump head that if you feed it pressure water you can connect to the sewer or septic with no concern about slope or elevation. Makes it really easy to screen in as well as needed.

I wouldn't try to turn that back into a boat, just salvage the running gear for the collector/restorer market and do something creative with the hull and cabin.

Great idea.

These will not see water again. They both have new engines that were pickled right after rebuild.

The cruiser has all the parts. The head and flying deck. Its missing nothing.

The run-a-bout is missing nothing. The windshield is on the work bench. All other parts are in storage.

Last edited:
Great idea.

These will not see water again. They both have new engines that were pickled right after rebuild.

Yeah, plenty of these old boats are sweet pieces of industrial art with a lot of beauty and use potential to them, just not as boats in the water, not without far too much work and/or money poured into them. The coolest one I did for a guy was a 35' Chris. We dug a pit just larger than the hull and rebarred it, sprayed it with Gunite and set the boat in with a crane. Then dug a 5' deep moat around it, reinforced it and sprayed it into a big swimming pool with a wood bridge to the boat. When he was done finishing out the interior it came out totally sweet.

Yeah, plenty of these old boats are sweet pieces of industrial art with a lot of beauty and use potential to them, just not as boats in the water, not without far too much work and/or money poured into them. The coolest one I did for a guy was a 35' Chris. We dug a pit just larger than the hull and rebarred it, sprayed it with Gunite and set the boat in with a crane. Then dug a 5' deep moat around it, reinforced it and sprayed it into a big swimming pool with a wood bridge to the boat. When he was done finishing out the interior it came out totally sweet.

I would love to see pics if you have any.

I would love to see pics if you have any.

I wish I still had some, I have nothing left from what I did on film except for digital copies of a couple of self portrait prints my mom still has.:sad: I had a lot of cool stuff, I think I still have a box of my old portfolio negatives and chromes still in a storage trailer at my ex wife's place. This was out in the desert foothills east of San Diego. Built a little oasis in his sandscaped back yard. The whole project cost under $20k including the hot tub and interior remodel.

Back