Crash in San Diego

I just got a very similar phone call from a friend making sure it wasn't me. I didn't fly today, but did land at MYF on Monday.

I was up from KSEE this afternoon for an acro sortie and just saw this.

Truly an amazing piece of flying from the looks of it, literally only a parking lot to get it down and stopped, shame about injuries and loss of the passenger but that's a fairly high-density area and she did a great job picking a good spot to put it in.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for the pilot and sympathies to friends and family of the passenger.

'Gimp

The ages are about right to be mom and daughter.

The experts on the Florida crash thread will expect an immediate criminal prosecution of the pilot for manslaughter charges since the passenger died.

Good job on the landing,prayers for the passenger.

The ages are about right to be mom and daughter.
Thats what I was thinking.

The experts on the Florida crash thread will expect an immediate criminal prosecution of the pilot for manslaughter charges since the passenger died.

The firing squad would be the only proper action at this point. We know the sole intent of the flight was to end the passengers life while taking everyone out in the parking lot.

just saw this posted on mooneyspace. amazing that they found anywhere to land. it is so congested in the pics.

My friend texted me tonight to make sure I wasn't the one in the airplane, which is how I heard about it.
Maybe you've just aged quite well but you don't appear to be 52 or 80.

:)

Bad deal on the crash...condolences to all involved & associated.

It had the IO 550 engine, it it was a 190kt beast. Be interested to hear what the cause of the loss of power was. If it caught fire, and the right wing was destroyed like that, I'd expect to see some serious burning if it had fuel. Seems rather minimal fire damage.

Last edited:
Saw it in the tv news this morning. There was cell phone video (of course) of people pulling out the passenger and pilot as the plane was burning.

That's a tough place to lose power. Amazing job finding a clear spot. I'm also impressed with bystanders pitching in and saving the pilot and passenger. It takes a lot of guts to run towards a burning vehicle, with potentially leaking gas tanks, to try and save people you do not know.

Maybe you've just aged quite well but you don't appear to be 52 or 80.

Jet went down just off airport where my plane is based. I'm on business travel. My phone lights up. I must've had a dozen texts / messages / emails / chats from various people wondering if I'm ok.

At first, I'm touched, right? They care.

Half hour later.... "Hey... wait a minute. Why did they instantly think it was me?"

That's a tough place to lose power. Amazing job finding a clear spot. I'm also impressed with bystanders pitching in and saving the pilot and passenger. It takes a lot of guts to run towards a burning vehicle, with potentially leaking gas tanks, to try and save people you do not know.
Guts, maybe, but I don't know if that's it. Maybe the knowledge that you'd want the same help. The plane crash that I witnessed wasn't on fire, but gasoline was definitely pouring out if the wings and there was like a quarter second where I wondered what that could turn into before I brushed that thought aside.
Glad those people helped.

Reports say she bounced a landing. So this was a go-around?

Reports say she bounced a landing. So this was a go-around?

Of course, everybody is a Thursday morning copilot, but you've always got to think with an engine that heavy in that airframe if a REAL bounce didn't break something important to flight ... like an engine mount or throttle cable.

Just wild speculation and nothing more.

Jim

One person's 'bounce' may well be an informed person's planned touch-and-go, we don't even know what we don't know yet for this situation.

Might wait for more info before we speculate too much.

West of the parking lot she landed is the 805 highway running basically north-south, then lots and lots of houses - she done good.

KMYF_zps7ad99520.png

'Gimp

One person's 'bounce' may well be an informed person's planned touch-and-go, we don't even know what we don't know yet for this situation.

True, but according to the article, the 'bounced landing' description came from the FAA, not some everyday-Joe eyewitness.

Killing yourself or your daft passengers(they shouldn't have gone up in a little plane in the first place) is OK. Killing people on the ground is unacceptable. Especially when the justification for killing people on the ground is saving your passenger. Yes that claim was made in that thread.

Not familiar with Mooneys.
It was a humid day.
Carb icing?

Besides, high humidity in San Diego is about 2.5%

(I exaggerate for effect)

Huh that's not something you see on many mooneys

Engine Manufacturer PORSCHE
Engine Model PFM3200N03

I read that engine is replaced usually because of no factory support anymore?

Tough deal, trained there, and recall engine failure options were poor.

Condolences to all involved.

I read that engine is replaced usually because of no factory support anymore?

There are still a handful with the original Porsche engine, but the few that are still flying were converted to an IO-550. A lot of the fleet got wiped out in a hurricane while waiting to be converted too.

Porsche did indeed withdraw all support for the engine and surrendered the TC for the engine as they ran away from the market. The M20L Porsche Mooney ended up being heavier, slower, and more expensive than the Lycoming-powered 201. It was the first Mooney with the longer fuselage and more rear seat & baggage room, though, so at least that was a nice development that later led to the TLS/Bravo, Ovation, Eagle and Acclaim.

Go-around with flaps and gear extended, low climb rate, clipped building?

Wow, I immediately recognized the tail number when I saw the picture. I flew that airplane about 20 hours giving the original owner dual back in 1990. That was in Connecticut.

Porsche not only stopped support, but paid to have them converted.

Sad to hear about the passenger, hope the pilot makes a speedy recovery

Sucks. Engine out on take-offs freak me out there, well, it's pretty much the only airport I fly out of, since there are just no good options.

My CFI always said if we lose an engine right after take-off we'll be going into the In'n'Out and if we survive the crash, we'll be in a tub of boiling frying grease.

Prayers with the family!

At this point it is reported it was a bounced landing and go around initiated, given that info, prop strike that damaged the engine might be possible. I wonder if they have checked the runway for any clues?

At this point it is reported it was a bounced landing and go around initiated, given that info, prop strike that damaged the engine might be possible. I wonder if they have checked the runway for any clues?

I am sure they are looking at all angles. FAA was probably on scene pretty quick. The FSDO is located right there on the airport.

Might wait for more info before we speculate too much.
You must be new to POA :rofl:

Back