Can I do this?

I said capable of conducting "IR training alone" not "meet the PTS requirements to conduct the check ride."
How can you conduct IR training in an aircraft which does not have the equipment to conduct an IR practical test? :dunno:

I'll stand by my answer based on a couple of thousand hours of IR training given -- there's absolutely no practical reason for the OP to re-install the ADF which was removed in order to pursue IR training and complete the IR practical test.

I talked to an avionics repair guy yesterday and he had reliability concerns about my ADF model.

I have seen some non-WAAS GNS 430 going for under $5K. Perhaps I should save my plane pennies and get one. Problem solved. .................

:wink2:
What model is your ADF, a good ADF is a pleasure to use but it sounds like yours is not a good one?
That non-WAAS GNS 430 for under $5,000 will cost you another $4,000 or so to have installed with IFR approval. Then upgrading it to WAAS for the 2020 ADS-B mandate will be another $3,500 at least. Now we're up to $12,500 and we're still not complying with ADS-B out. There's a reason why used non-WAAS units are so cheap.

I think the distinctions are under appreciated. R-NAV, or area navigation is a manner of direct navigation across great distances without regards to airways. Today we R-NAV using GPS to derive our position, and many will use that position information to drive data to a moving map display. Given current technology, it would not be particularly difficult for computer driven Nav radios to fix the position n the moving map using VOR radios.

I've always wondered why he experimental market hasn't produced a poor man's FMS. Probably because few of the Nav/Coms out there have a serial interface to tune them remotely or command them. Most other commercial radios have had remote head and remote command ability for decades.

I've always wondered why he experimental market hasn't produced a poor man's FMS. Probably because few of the Nav/Coms out there have a serial interface to tune them remotely or command them. Most other commercial radios have had remote head and remote command ability for decades.
More likely because a FMS is far more than a light airplane needs and is more complicated than most anyone flying a light airplane wants to learn. The Cirrus Perspective system is out there at the far edge of that already, and most of the people I train on G1000's don't use but half its capability as it is.

How can you conduct IR training in an aircraft which does not have the equipment to conduct an IR practical test? :dunno:

I'll stand by my answer based on a couple of thousand hours of IR training given -- there's absolutely no practical reason for the OP to re-install the ADF which was removed in order to pursue IR training and complete the IR practical test.

Well gosh Ron, didn't realize this was going to turn into a measuring cost, lol. I only have a few hundred hours of IR training given. I guess you beat me.:dunno:

I can provide instrument training all day and twice on Sunday with no equipment at all (self contained PAR/ASR). Although, he does have access to an ASR down at ILM. I didn't say it was effective or the best of ideas. The point was why limit an instrument student to the same 3 approaches over and over at his home field, when you can expose him to a lot more variety if he merely plugs his ADF back in? Granted, with his most recent post, his ADF might suffer from reliability issues (which neither of us knew at the time) so the cost would go up.

Searching through Foreflight, within 60nm (up to an hour away) of New Bern, I count 8 approaches at 5 airfields he can fly with only his VOR. That's actually not too bad for instrument training. If I add ADF to his equipment, I count 26 approaches he can legally fly at 16 airfields. That's a really good variety and a lot options to choose from (real life or for training). If this spread is consistent within 500nm (a bag of gas) of New Bern, I say having the ADF increases his options substantially when on a long IFR cross country and the need to land arises. I also think having the extra piece of equipment makes flight planning for those long cross countries easier (less stressful) if one knows they're likely going to need to shoot an approach at the end (or worse, in the middle). Divert options? Yes please. Finally, he's more likely to have the ability to land at his destination. That's a pretty good Return on Investment for merely dropping a couple hundred bucks reinstalling an ADF. Sounds like a practical investment to me, but then again, I don't have as much as experience as you. :wink2:

More likely because a FMS is far more than a light airplane needs and is more complicated than most anyone flying a light airplane wants to learn. The Cirrus Perspective system is out there at the far edge of that already, and most of the people I train on G1000's don't use but half its capability as it is.

Well I was in a hurry when I posted. My concept of a mini-FMS doesn't use the absolutely sucky user interface of a traditional FMS. In restating it, there's not a good name for it other than "auto-RNAV box".

Why should anyone be tuning and identifying anything anymore? Let the electronics tune themselves and work out a location solution on their own with whatever receivers they have. Display it on a moving map.

Feed it everything. GPS, VOR, ADF, whatever you want. Let it tell you if the available sources aren't enough for an approach. Etc.

Manual overrides available for weird failure modes.

It'd never get past the bureaucracy. But it's well beyond overdue, technology-wise.

Well gosh Ron, didn't realize this was going to turn into a measuring cost, lol. I only have a few hundred hours of IR training given. I guess you beat me.:dunno:

I can provide instrument training all day and twice on Sunday with no equipment at all (self contained PAR/ASR). Although, he does have access to an ASR down at ILM. I didn't say it was effective or the best of ideas. The point was why limit an instrument student to the same 3 approaches over and over at his home field, when you can expose him to a lot more variety if he merely plugs his ADF back in? Granted, with his most recent post, his ADF might suffer from reliability issues (which neither of us knew at the time) so the cost would go up.

Searching through Foreflight, within 60nm (up to an hour away) of New Bern, I count 8 approaches at 5 airfields he can fly with only his VOR. That's actually not too bad for instrument training. If I add ADF to his equipment, I count 26 approaches he can legally fly at 16 airfields. That's a really good variety and a lot options to choose from (real life or for training). If this spread is consistent within 500nm (a bag of gas) of New Bern, I say having the ADF increases his options substantially when on a long IFR cross country and the need to land arises. I also think having the extra piece of equipment makes flight planning for those long cross countries easier (less stressful) if one knows they're likely going to need to shoot an approach at the end (or worse, in the middle). Divert options? Yes please. Finally, he's more likely to have the ability to land at his destination. That's a pretty good Return on Investment for merely dropping a couple hundred bucks reinstalling an ADF. Sounds like a practical investment to me, but then again, I don't have as much as experience as you. :wink2:
But what's the point if the first thing he does after training is stick in a GPS? He will have spent hours of training on the ADF (typically one full day for ground, sim, and flight when I'm doing the 10-day program) with no long-term gain. But I know there are some instructors of my vintage who still think that knowing how to use an ADF is an essential skill even if the pilot will never use one again after training, and there's little I can do to change that mind-set.

In any event, the OP can absolutely most certainly for sure do the IR training and practical test in the plane as it is without the ADF, and that was the original question.

It is true that the military can turn on "selective availability" (which significantly degrades accuracy or can even make it unavailable to anyone other than the US military), that is not something they are authorized to do "anytime it wants". That requires authorization from pretty high up the chain of command. IIRC, that means either the National Command Authorities or an official authorized to declare an Air Defense Emergency. This is one reason the FAA's long term plan includes retention of something like 40 VOR's for "essential" air navigation function in case the GPS system is denied by either adversarial jamming or military necessity.

Selective Availability was turned off in 2000, additionally Block III GPS satellites don't have the S/A ability built into them.

Selective Availability was turned off in 2000, additionally Block III GPS satellites don't have the S/A ability built into them.
But they still can at the flick of a switch make the system unusable by the rest of us while keeping it usable for the military.

But they still can at the flick of a switch make the system unusable by the rest of us while keeping it usable for the military.

It doesn't make it unusable, just significantly downgrades the location accuracy.

Well, that's the point, isn't it? You won't be able to do GPS approaches, and maybe not use it for even enroute/terminal nav.

If we get to the point that the government deems it necessary to turn on selective availability, somehow I doubt your number one concern is going to be, can I shoot this GPS approach in my personal airplane.

If we get to the point that the government deems it necessary to turn on selective availability, somehow I doubt your number one concern is going to be, can I shoot this GPS approach in my personal airplane.
Yeah, kinda like my nuclear war planning colleague John said back in the 80's about nuclear winter. He said, "I'm a not near as worried about surviving nuclear winter as I am about surviving the nuclear summer which precedes it -- SPF 50 won't protect you from 1 million degrees Fahrenheit." Nevertheless, I can see them flipping that switch if there's a terrorist cruise missile threat, and that wouldn't quite be the same overall impact as playing "Global Thermonuclear War" with Joshua.

Yeah, kinda like my nuclear war planning colleague John said back in the 80's about nuclear winter. He said, "I'm a not near as worried about surviving nuclear winter as I am about surviving the nuclear summer which precedes it -- SPF 50 won't protect you from 1 million degrees Fahrenheit." Nevertheless, I can see them flipping that switch if there's a terrorist cruise missile threat, and that wouldn't quite be the same overall impact as playing "Global Thermonuclear War" with Joshua.
Seems likely that whatever would prompt reactivating SA would also involve grounding all civilian aircraft ala 9/11. Of course the airplanes needing and approach to comply might be stuck without an LPV to get on the ground.

That said, with the proliferation of alternative GNSS and SBAS turning on SA probably won't have much effect on any missile guidance unless said guidance is provided by a Garmin civilian portable.

I suspect that if the US military shuts down GPS for national security reasons, they'll make sure you can't use GLONASS, either.

I suspect the Former Soviet client states would consider such an act of war.

If you have an ADF in your aircraft and a nearby NDB approach be prepared for the DPE to ask you to fly the NDB approach partial-panel.

I did my NDB level at 3000' and my PP was a VOR approach, in actual.

If you have an ADF in your aircraft and a nearby NDB approach be prepared for the DPE to ask you to fly the NDB approach partial-panel.
I've never heard of a DPE asking for that on an IR practical test, but it certainly is theoretically possible. For non-GPS aircraft, they pretty much always do a VOR approach for the "primary flight instrument(s) inoperative" task.

I've never heard of a DPE asking for that on an IR practical test, but it certainly is theoretically possible. For non-GPS aircraft, they pretty much always do a VOR approach for the "primary flight instrument(s) inoperative" task.

I had to do it on my test. The CFII expected it so she trained me for it. That was the last time I did an NDB approach.

He sure did. And there are an old ADF and old DME sitting in a cardboard box in my hangar to prove I put my money where my mouth is.

When we bought our A36, the first thing I did was remove the ADF and DME, cleaned up the panel, and slipped in an Aspen.

To my complete surprise, ADFs are commanding a good amount of money overseas -- or at least they were about a year ago. Specifically, I sold mine to a Quantas pilot for $1300. (I know -- I couldn't believe it either -- but the payment cleared.) Got to looking at other ADF sales on eBay and there were several in the $800-$1500 range.

A pleasant surprise; I was expecting about $150.

When we bought our A36, the first thing I did was remove the ADF and DME, cleaned up the panel, and slipped in an Aspen.

To my complete surprise, ADFs are commanding a good amount of money overseas -- or at least they were about a year ago. Specifically, I sold mine to a Quantas pilot for $1300. (I know -- I couldn't believe it either -- but the payment cleared.) Got to looking at other ADF sales on eBay and there were several in the $800-$1500 range.

A pleasant surprise; I was expecting about $150.

Hmmmmm....

I think the distinctions are under appreciated. R-NAV, or area navigation is a manner of direct navigation across great distances without regards to airways. Today we R-NAV using GPS to derive our position, and many will use that position information to drive data to a moving map display. Given current technology, it would not be particularly difficult for computer driven Nav radios to fix the position n the moving map using VOR radios.

I had a 172 with a KNS 80 and a first gen GPS. Funny I don't remember the POS GPS but LOVED the KNS 80. Used to love plugging in the VOR offsets and watching the KNS nav head track perfectly the GPS nav head.

Using the KNS was when I learned what R-NAV was. I would think it would be almost trivial for a modern Garmin navigator to take a GPS flight path and duplicate it with VOR radial/distance to give you duplicate nav info. I guess the only thing missing is an actual radio based DME rather than GPS derived DME. This would give a single in the box backup. Used to be you could navigate pretty much the entire midwest at 3,000-4,000 feet and rarely have a dropped VOR for the R-NAV.

You don't particularly need DME with dual VOR, but it would make the system a lot better.

You don't particularly need DME with dual VOR...
That would not be true if you're based at Easton MD (KESN) -- either GPS or DME is required to fly an instrument approach there. And there are plenty of other airports like that.

That would not be true if you're based at Easton MD (KESN) -- either GPS or DME is required to fly an instrument approach there. And there are plenty of other airports like that.

Has nothing to do with RNAV, that's for approaches.

Back