Oshkosh PoA dinner 2014

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
WHAT: The annual PoA/Babes/BaconFest where we all conspire to get Jay so wasted he still complains years later.

WHEN: Tuesday evening after the air show, as in years past.

PROVIDED: We provide jambalaya (andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken, rice, vegetables, and spice) and chili. (We have the vegetarians we'll covered, just ask Steingar). We may just possibly have some margaritas. There will be a limit on how many you can have, except for China and Jay, who will be attesting to why we have a limit!

BRING: You provide libations (beer and soda goes with both dishes, wine not as much; sparkling wine goes with everything) French bread, cheese, crackers, bacon, or whatever you wish t provideo. If you can't bring something, come any way! We understand how hard it is to schlep stuff around the grounds. If you want to drop something off in the morning, that works too.

Bringing chairs is a good idea, but there will be some around, too.

WHERE: same place as last year, Camp Bacon in Camp Scholler. Go out the fly mart in the southwest corner, next to the Big Red Barn. Walk a block south on FOREST HOME. You'll see a WiFi station on the northwest corner at Lindbergh. We're the group on the southeast corner. The food will be near the big green 10-person tent.

On this map, find the rightmost red WiFi circle. We're kitty-corner southeast from that, on the south side on Lindergh between Forest Home and 48th.

COST: free! Yes, there is a hat for donations because some have asked, but they are totally voluntary!

PLEASE RESPOND ON THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO COME AND IF YOU'LL BE BRINGING ANYTHING SO PEOPLE CAN GAUGE QUANTITIES! Last year we had about 35 people.

av13_schollermap.jpg

Last edited:
Where is it at? My son and I will be there through Thursday.

Put me on the list...

Anyone who provides jambalaya and margaritas is good people.

I'm interested too, but as cgrab said I can't commit until I'm tied down in the N40.

OK, how do you get to Scholler from the North 40? Is there a bus, or do you walk? I need progressive taxi, as I am "unfamiliar". ;)

OK, how do you get to Scholler from the North 40? Is there a bus, or do you walk? I need progressive taxi, as I am "unfamiliar". ;)

Best suggestion...down load the maps from the Airventure website.

Camp Scholler is south of the main grounds. Determine if you are east or west of the N-S line drawn thru the tower. If you are east of the tower, walk or grab a bus until you are west of the tower. Head south on Foundation Rd, curve around the main entrance. Keep going until reach the Red Barn. Wear very comfy shoes, bring a flashlight.

Last edited:
Best suggestion...down load the maps from the Airventure website.

Camp Scholler is south of the main grounds. Determine if you are east or west of the N-S line drawn thru the tower. If you are east of the tower, walk or grab a bus until you are west of the tower. Head south. Wear very comfy shoes, bring a flashlight.

OK, thanks. I looked at the map, but I did not see Scholler. So, it's within walking distance then? If I have a car, am I better off driving down there, or just walking? I assume parking is an issue there, right?

OK, thanks. I looked at the map, but I did not see Scholler. So, it's within walking distance then? If I have a car, am I better off driving down there, or just walking? I assume parking is an issue there, right?
There's no way to drive, no place to park, and it's not a short walk. Camp Scholler is a large area, not a place. Find the main admission gate on the map or the Blue parking lot. Due south is the Red Barn. Due south of that is Camp Scholler.

Notice that the map is oriented to the East, not North!

And if you're camping in the North 40, where are you parking the car?

Last edited:
If you don't have a bike, getting from the North 40 to Camp Scholler is more of a hike than I would want to attempt at the end of a long day on the flight line.

Even with a bike, it's a long ways.

I've walked it probably three times a day before. Plan on it taking about a hour. Expect to get distracted by all kinds of stuff enroute.

I just added a map (big; sorry!) to the original post. Notice in the upper right are buildings labeled A, B, C, D. Those are the big exhibition hangars. We're on the south side of Lindbergh between Forest Home and 48th.

If you don't have a bike, getting from the North 40 to Camp Scholler is more of a hike than I would want to attempt at the end of a long day on the flight line.

Even with a bike, it's a long ways.
It's certainly walkable (albeit long), but there's a tram that will take you down to the exhibition hangars, and we're only a short walk from there. You want to get off between B and D hangars. The trams will be done by the time the party is over, though. But your feet will be rested by then!

Just let I know when you want I to show up to do cooking chores. I'll try and keep Jay out of trouble too.

Terry and I will be there. Thanks Grant. We'll bring Cornbread and Fritos or something like that. And chairs and something to drink.

Last edited:
Just let I know when you want I to show up to do cooking chores. I'll try and keep Jay out of trouble too.
You can keep me out of trouble simply by not getting me into trouble, Dr. Steingar. lol!

And, yes, I blame you, for bringing China, that evil friend of yours, who held me down and forced me to drink all that bad tequila, back in '12. :)

Is he coming this year?

You can keep me out of trouble simply by not getting me into trouble, Dr. Steingar. lol!

And, yes, I blame you, for bringing China, that evil friend of yours, who held me down and forced me to drink all that bad tequila, back in '12. :)

Is he coming this year?

No one held you down. You're a big boy and can take responsibility for your own actions for good or ill. Had I known threw as a worry I'd have intervened. On the other hand the event has spawned an ongoing POA legend, so it isn't all for the ill. I do recall you having a bawdy good time during as well. The aftermath, not as much.

As for my mystery guest, time will tell but not me. Like I said, if load permits I'll try and bring something nice for the hotel.

Looks like I will make it this year. :yes: :eek:

Not much into the airshow, can we show up early to help? No drinks until the last performance. Got it. :lol:

What we need is a shuttle from the North 40 to the party. I might have to hot wire a bus. :dunno: :yes:

Last edited:
No one held you down. You're a big boy and can take responsibility for your own actions for good or ill. Had I known threw as a worry I'd have intervened. On the other hand the event has spawned an ongoing POA legend, so it isn't all for the ill. I do recall you having a bawdy good time during as well. The aftermath, not as much.

As for my mystery guest, time will tell but not me. Like I said, if load permits I'll try and bring something nice for the hotel.
Oh, it was a fabulous time. A great party, good people, lots of laughs and fun. No complaints there, at all.

It t'were the next morning that was distinctly un-fun. Damned shame, to waste a day at OSH feeling like death warmed over. Rehydrating with tequila after 10 hours on the flightline is just a bad idea, all around.

One tequila
Two tequila
Three tequila
Floor.

Jim
Don't forget:

- Served warm, no ice
- In big red Solo cups
- After a full, hot day on the line
- Served by a garrulous, persuasive and happy drunk guy. (No, not Grant)

Results were predictable, and fun. The next day was not. lol

Don't forget:

- Served warm, no ice
- In big red Solo cups
- After a full, hot day on the line
- Served by a garrulous, persuasive and happy drunk guy. (No, not Grant)

Results were predictable, and fun. The next day was not. lol

I know. I was there. I tried to lead you gracefully to the shower to cool off the next morning and that wasn't going to happen. s'okay, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and am negotiating the movie rights.

Jim

I know. I was there. I tried to lead you gracefully to the shower to cool off the next morning and that wasn't going to happen. s'okay, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and am negotiating the movie rights.

Jim
I have no recollection of this, and will deny everything. lol!

I wish I could make it this year. Stupid Dr appointments Tuesday afternoon won't let me fly in until Wednesday.

I will be there and looking forward to it. Driving in the day before so should arrive before sunset this time :) Cookies or kringle okay as a contribution?

Are any of you guys staying in Appleton and might be able to offer a ride after the event?

I will be there and looking forward to it. Driving in the day before so should arrive before sunset this time :) Cookies or kringle okay as a contribution?
Kringle!

You bring pecan Kringle from O&H bakery in Racine, and we will kiss you on the lips. We order that stuff mail order for Xmas and birthdays. There's nothing like it, anywhere else.

And if anyone driving up from Milwaukee can pick up some fresh Sprecher Amber lager, I'll buy it off you.

Kringle!

You bring pecan Kringle from O&H bakery in Racine, and we will kiss you on the lips. We order that stuff mail order for Xmas and birthdays. There's nothing like it, anywhere else.

And if anyone driving up from Milwaukee can pick up some fresh Sprecher Amber lager, I'll buy it off you.

I should be able to fit some in the 150. I won't be there Tuesday, but I'll bring to your party Wednesday.

John and I will be there again this year. Looking forward to it!

Back