Oshkosh Camping

Jetwrench

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LJ
I got a couple unexpected days off, and was thinking about heading over to Air Venture for the 28th and 29th. Usually I just throw a tent down wherever I go, but see they require a minimum of 3 nights. Are there any other off airport camping sites you guys know about?

I dont need anything fancy, just some level ground and clean bathrooms!

Check the Airventure website - has a list of everything you could want for housing & camping.

Can you provide a link to that? I have been searching the AirVenture website, and can only find info on lodging (hotels, private houses, and dorms). All the camping they seem to reference is on airport EAA camping.

Last edited:
Wautoma airport Y50 is 30 miles west of KOSH and has on-field camping, as well as showers in the FBO and the local EAA chapter cooks burgers and brats at their hangar every evening of Air venture week.

At Oshkosh, they make you pay up front for a full weeks camping on the field but will refund the unused days when you check out with the three day minimum charge.

I used to stay in Wautoma at one of the in-town motels. They all run shuttle vans back and forth between the hotels and Watoma airport. I would either fly back and forth each day or drive a rental car if the weather was unflyable. Rental cars were available from Lungwitz auto sales in Redgranite for delivery at Y50, but it's probably too late to get one, you have to reserve one early in the year.

Last edited:
Actually, they make you pay until the end of the show from whatever time you set up (and then refund you subject to the three day minimum).

There's a post a little farther down in this forum about free camping at Brennand airport, its about 10 miles to the north of Oshkosh.

If you're driving, just drive to OSH, camp in Scholler, and deal with the 3 day minimum. The convenience is worth it.

Pack a bicycle if you can, it will save much time on your daily trek from your campsite to the entrance gate.

Last time I went (2012) my arrival was delayed a day due to weather, so I could only stay 2 nights. Though the 3-night minimum irked me a little, I just paid it for the convenience rather than try to figure out some alternate arrangements. I figured the convenience was worth $27 (or whatever it is).

Besides, you really can't get the full "Oshkosh experience" if you're not staying on the grounds.

(Some people may or may not consider that a good thing.)

Usually I just throw a tent down wherever I go, but see they require a minimum of 3 nights. Are there any other off airport camping sites you guys know about?

They require you to pay for three nights, not stay there. A night's camping fee would be well worth the proximity and potential for interaction, at least in my book.

Obviously you haven't spent much time camping in the bush.

I got a couple unexpected days off, and was thinking about heading over to Air Venture for the 28th and 29th. Usually I just throw a tent down wherever I go, but see they require a minimum of 3 nights. Are there any other off airport camping sites you guys know about?

Adding my voice to those who say paying for 3 nights is worth it for the proximity and sense of community that you get from staying at Scholler.

You won't save money camping elsewhere. Traffic is a ***** there and you'll waste tons of time trying to drive there plus expenses. Just pay the extra night :)

You won't save money camping elsewhere. Traffic is a ***** there and you'll waste tons of time trying to drive there plus expenses. Just pay the extra night :)

Jesse,
Are you flying in and camping in n40?

So, planning my arrival this weekend. Any big difference between arriving Saturday 26th night or Sunday 27th afternoon when it comes to the selection of spots aka, a tree over the tent? I get the feeling that most of the good ones were staked our a month ago.

So, planning my arrival this weekend. Any big difference between arriving Saturday 26th night or Sunday 27th afternoon when it comes to the selection of spots aka, a tree over the tent? I get the feeling that most of the good ones were staked our a month ago.

Not for selecting a site. There are no trees in the "camp with your plane" area. As far as the other areas they are mostly taken by then, but you will find a good spot. It's Oshkosh, there are no bad places. :lol:

Last edited:
Yup, should have specified this is for Scholler. Last year I arrived Tuesday and a lot of people cleared out on Wednesday so I moved to a better spot. Had a nice spot on one side a stream just to reduce the startling amount of humanity a tiny bit.

Not for selecting a site. There are no tress in the "camp with your plane" area. As far as the other areas they are mostly taken by then, but you will find a good spot. It's Oshkosh, there are no bad places. :lol:

I was only a couple of rows from 41 last year. I would argue it was close to being a bad place.

Flyin, camp with plane, or get to know someone with a plane and camp with them. :dunno:

You need to get closer to the action! SOS Brothers tent! :lol:

I'm flying in on Wednesday. Last year I drove, but it's only a 90 minute drive. I just moved into a new house the month before, so I had to leave a few times to meet the electrician and take care of other house stuff. It was easier just to drive in and leave the tent up the few nights I wasn't there.

I'm flying in on Wednesday. Last year I drove, but it's only a 90 minute drive. I just moved into a new house the month before, so I had to leave a few times to meet the electrician and take care of other house stuff. It was easier just to drive in and leave the tent up the few nights I wasn't there.

Chances are they wont make you taxi to the interstate camping area. ;)

Chances are they wont make you taxi to the interstate camping area. ;)

You know what? If they did that to me, I wouldn't be too upset. At least my wife would be able to park the car next to the plane then. She's driving up Thursday after work.

Gives a happier spin to Sloshgosh, doesn't it?

Funny. I've been to OSH 32 times, and never even seen this tent.

Why would I leave the nightly party in the North 40, and PAY for beer?

Pretty hard to miss. Big ass ballon inn the sky with BEER written on it and loud live music you can hear from the north 40.

The main attraction at the SOS beer tent isn't necessarily the beer. It's the bartenders clad in bikini tops and Daisy Dukes :goofy:

Back