Brad's unsolicited advise, just one point.

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Lifted from a response I gave in a different thread, in a different area. Thought I'd share it. Oh, and BTW, for those who are concerned about going in without 1000 hours, I went in with my instructor (we camped and had a blast) about 30 hours into my PPL, and last year with less than 200 TT with a friend, who was the extra set of calibrated traffic sensors... eye balls. Practice, read up, and prepare. You can do it!!

I've done FISKK twice now. The first time in a Sundowner (Pull power to land), and a C182 STOL. Both flights, I did the 90 kt instructions. Overhead, there was a level 7 Charlie Foxtrot of RV's trying to figure out how to fly in a line...

Here's a little trick I learned last year, that I am reluctant to share, but I will because this is POA, and I should at least share it with someone! I arrive from the West, KFCM. As a way to loosen up, and see how things are flowing into the field, I stop in Green Bay KGRB. Both FBO's are GA friendly, and you are likely to see some pretty cool aircraft. Last year, it was an MU2 meet up... I would be more than 50% of MU2's in flying condition were on that ramp where we parked.

When you leave, Head to a "down wind" leg on the NW shore of Green Lake. This works great... if they are not holding. If they are, go hang out somewhere else, unless you need to get in for camping, or before an airshow. By using that down wind procedure on the NW side of Green Lake, or Puckaway Lake if it is busy (It's the one that looks like Green Lake, directly WSW of the Western end of Green, you can time your "cross wind" entry into the chain of ants. It worked fantastic for us (we also had ADSB-IN onboard with Foreflight and Stratus 2). We were on that WSW track at 100 kts, entered the chain going ENE at 90, and kept that in until we got close to the field and slowed down for other aircraft nearby.

My experience, and what I've heard in antidotes from controllers lucky enough to work OSH, is that they want safety. If you can do what you need to do safely, and orderly, they are happy. It is the yahoos that come in NORDO, don't use a NORDO procedure, the ones who cut line, and just don't fly nice that drive them up a wall. Someone who is trying to be safe, that's a good thing.

Have fun! I'll miss this year, but next year's vacation request is already in!

I've only flown in three times and every time I heard the controllers turning back someone on the radio who clearly was not aware of the NOTAM or the procedures. This can't be a coincidence, so I assume they deal with those pilots all day. Sadly, as much as I'd like to scream "read the f&$&@!?ng NOTAM" out loud, it would be wasted energy; anyone on these boards likely to hear it is already aware. We aren't the problem.

Honestly after the first time I was on high alert swivel head not for others who were obviously following the program, but for aircraft that were not.

Antidotes?

Yeah, it's amazing how many people try to wing it. I've had people show up on the normal Oshkosh tower frequency reporting 5 miles south. The tower controller asks if they are familiar with the NOTAM (if so why are you talking to me). I guess one day he felt it was easier to let the guy in than have him try to blast through from Ripon...

TWR: Make straight in for 36L.
BOZ: Which one is 36L.
TWR: It's the big one with the dotted line down the middle and 36L on the end.

There are lots of little fields in the area that you can land at, get topped off and make your last run into Ripon. The one thing you don't want to happen is the odd, something bad happens just ahead of you and you are told to circle rush lake for an hour (I think Jay got caught in one of these messes once).

My piece of advice is don't try and get in just before or after the airshow. Things can get just a bit busy. Leaving in the middle of an afternoon later in the week is the only time I don't have to wait in a conga line. That said, leaving in the middle of the day invokes some other issues, like density altitude.

If I were going to OSH, I would just fly to another nearby field and take a taxi over rather than deal with all the traffic

I've flown in early mornings just when the field opens up and while there's a fair bit of traffic at that time, it's not too terribly bad. But have also arrived a couple times around 12 noon and pretty much had the FISK arrival to myself and was asked which runway I preferred!​

My piece of advice is don't try and get in just before or after the airshow. Things can get just a bit busy. Leaving in the middle of an afternoon later in the week is the only time I don't have to wait in a conga line. That said, leaving in the middle of the day invokes some other issues, like density altitude.

Just make sure you pull stakes and get moving before they close things down. Not so much of a problem in the north 40, but once stuff starts happening they often close down the taxiways parallel to 36 and we won't be able to allow you to move. The start time for this is NEVER definite. My standard answer when someone asks when we'll close for the airshow is "It's open now."

After the airshow and the tower turns us back on (it goes from the tower to the EAA guys to the Vintage chair to us grunts who can walk you out). No engine start without one of the flight line volunteers there.

I've never had to wait in too much of a line in the mornings. I usually am in and out several times giving rides to the volunteers.

I don't know if they still do, but initially they did not used to allow arrivals as soon as the airshow is over. They keep it for departures only for the first part so they can clear out the backlog.

If I were going to OSH, I would just fly to another nearby field and take a taxi over rather than deal with all the traffic

There aren't many fields that close by (New Holstein and Brennard) and even then I don't know if you'll find a cab at either of those places. APW and FLD has regular coach bus service though.

Frankly, it's not the zoo it used to be. The arrivals are now spread out more over the course of the show (and the attendance is down) from what it used to be.

I can recall only two issues ever on the approach. One time someone overtook me and another time some yahoo in a 182 decided to fly the transition at 70, I ended up turning out but it was otherwise so quiet that the Fisk guys just told me ton continue turning and finish the 360.

Suit yourself, but the number of midair collisions in the airspace around the show can be counted on the fingers of one hand. There are members of this board who have successfully flown in numerous times over the years.

But like Clint Eastwood said:

There aren't many fields that close by (New Holstein and Brennard) and even then I don't know if you'll find a cab at either of those places. APW and FLD has regular coach bus service though.

Frankly, it's not the zoo it used to be. The arrivals are now spread out more over the course of the show (and the attendance is down) from what it used to be.

I can recall only two issues ever on the approach. One time someone overtook me and another time some yahoo in a 182 decided to fly the transition at 70, I ended up turning out but it was otherwise so quiet that the Fisk guys just told me ton continue turning and finish the 360.

Suit yourself, but the number of midair collisions in the airspace around the show can be counted on the fingers of one hand. There are members of this board who have successfully flown in numerous times over the years.

But like Clint Eastwood said:
I will probably never go just because I don't own a plane and I'm not that interested in going, but it just seems easier to fly to another field and cab it over. I could be wrong, but I will probably never know

The idea of the 'left downwind' on the NW side of Green Lake sounds workable. I've seen a few trying to cut the corner(line) inside of RIPON. I try to go at a less busy time, like 0715.

If coming from MN it seems like KGRB is a little out of the way?

I usually fly in a few times over the week, in and out for the day. I'm about due for another overnight in the tent though.

I will probably never go just because I don't own a plane and I'm not that interested in going, but it just seems easier to fly to another field and cab it over. I could be wrong, but I will probably never know

You are wrong.

The idea of the 'left downwind' on the NW side of Green Lake sounds workable. I've seen a few trying to cut the corner(line) inside of RIPON. I try to go at a less busy time, like 0715.

If coming from MN it seems like KGRB is a little out of the way?

I usually fly in a few times over the week, in and out for the day. I'm about due for another overnight in the tent though.

Green Bay is a bit out of the way, but does keep you on Flight Following the entire way, and it lets you listen in from a distance when you relaunch. Plus, it's Green Bay! Food and Packers! Clearly an airport meant for Kings! ;)

They are also usually setup for AirVenture. I might also suggest KMSN (Dane County, Madison). Wisconsin Aviation won me over the first time I pulled up and pulled the mixture on their ramp. I rad on their door, "No ramp fees. We prefer to earn your business!" Needless to say, I top off every time!

There's more traffic to deal with on the highways. No, I'm not kidding. It's a real cluster compared to flying in. Two exit signs off the freeway get new signs during the show for "EAA Traffic" and there are cones everywhere rerouting traffic, plus tons and tons of police, state patrol, and once you get on the grounds, volunteers who are directing traffic. And if you take a wrong turn, you pretty much get forced out and you have to take US 41 south a few miles, take exit 113 and try again.

Besides, flying in is one of the great rites of passage in aviation!

I don't know if they still do, but initially they did not used to allow arrivals as soon as the airshow is over. They keep it for departures only for the first part so they can clear out the backlog.

There's as much of a backlog for inbound traffic as there is for outbound after the show... I think they still open for departures at 6am and arrivals at 7am but after the show they get both rolling at 6:30 pm. But, I wouldn't know for sure about the morning one 'cuz I'm always sleeping at that point. :)

Back