It'll be out of the hangar. I got nudged off of the pot

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Out of the blue I got a call from the airport.

They were talking me and my Cherokee 235.

If I haul it out of the hangar and put it on the ramp for sale I can stop paying hangar rent.

I said let me think about it, and before the call was over I said to do it. :(

I'd rather have a partner, but whatever.

I tell myself that I can always rent and/or join a club or heaven forbid, buy an Archer or 180.

Aside: I'll make my last payment in 3 weeks. Barring a SNAFU, I'll have the registration renewed in 1 week.

I'm thinking that I may keep the "For Mike" registration number and get a new one on it for sale. I hope I can just add a letter. :idea:

Last edited:
Which tramp are you intending to use? Does she come with the plane?

That's an odd call to get. what's the back story? are they evicting you in favor of another tenant ?

That's an odd call to get. what's the back story? are they evicting you in favor of another tenant ?

That is what I thought...Making room for a newbie...

Tony

That is what I thought...Making room for a newbie...

Youse guys. If it wasn't that I've known these guys for 17 years and trust them....they also could have a buyer in mind for my plane.

They ain't no demand for airplane space these days. Besides I'm paying my rent. It's not like they think they can charge more to somebody else.

...They ain't no demand for airplane space these days. Besides I'm paying my rent. It's not like they think they can charge more to somebody else.
how do you figure ? at our place down the road from you in IL there is a waiting list and hopefully soon , more hangars going up

Didn't realize you were thinking of selling. If so, good luck with the sale.

Didn't realize you were thinking of selling. If so, good luck with the sale.

I wasn't thinking of selling. As say I got nudged. I would much prefer getting a partner or two.

Paying rent and insurance for another year is becoming less fun.

I suppose I lost my hangar berth, but there are even T-hangars to be had if I suddenly become rich.

how do you figure ? at our place down the road from you in IL there is a waiting list and hopefully soon , more hangars going up
Rates at a given airport have to be equitable from one tenant to the next or else it's a violation of the assurances the airport made when it accepted infrastructure grant money. (That's assuming the airport has taken federal grant money, which virtually all public airports have.)

I don't quite understand what's going on here. It's not like my airport manager can call me up and tell me that she doesn't like me, so I need to pull my plane out of the hangar and sell it.

I don't quite understand what's going on here. It's not like my airport manager can call me up and tell me that she doesn't like me, so I need to pull my plane out of the hangar and sell it.

:no:

The plane is pickled and has been parked for mukky years while I pay hangar rent and insurance.

They had a discussion and called me to offer to take the plane out and broker it for sale on the ramp, in which case I no longer have to pay rent.

I have no obligation to sell. I did tell them I'm in no hurry to sell.

It happens that I'm making the last loan payment in two weeks, so another complication goes away.

Tell all your friends that I have an happy airplane that wants to be flown. Partners can apply.

just a suggestion, when I've shopped for airplanes I automatically ruled out anything i found tied down outside

How "pickled" is it, and how long since it's flown?

That's going to turn buyers/partners off too.

Any plane that's been pickled will be worth less than a plane that's been flown. Understand you'll get low offers, and that'll probably be all you get. Not being in a hurry to sell will just mean the offers will get lower.

just a suggestion, when I've shopped for airplanes I automatically ruled out anything i found tied down outside
I was thinking that also, plus, what if it doesn't sell over the summer? Is it then doomed to sit outside through a Chicago winter or is there other space available?

Out where Mike and I are there are open hangars. 10C, 3CK also have open space. Both of them have also been letting empty hangars be used for storage of non-airplane things. Not a problem at 10C, at 3CK if anyone complains there could be an issue as they have accepted federal and state airport funding.

All depends on location. When we moved to Cincinnati 2 years ago, it was hard to find hangar space, and that was part of why we base the airport we do. They then built new hangars (doubling capacity) and those are filling up. That said, Cincinnati is also recovering some from the loss of Blue Ash, so you'd expect that the surrounding airports would be stuffed.

I was thinking that also, plus, what if it doesn't sell over the summer? Is it then doomed to sit outside through a Chicago winter or is there other space available?

It's not a winter that's worrying. It's hail damage in storm season.
My plane was always outside until I moved it.

I can get wing covers if the mood strikes.

Are you near Grant and Leslie Mike?

We've talked.

I'm in damnnearWisconisn and they're in damnnearIndiana. 60 miles north to south, although Grant comes about halfway north for work.

I think that means it has been out drinkin with Winters

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

FWIW, I've got several hours in Mike's plane. It's one of the nicest PA28's I've ever flown. Controls felt like a brand-new plane, DG was rock solid (Didn't precess at all on an IL-CT round trip), just a real solid bird.

If anyone's in the market for a 235, I'd definitely recommend it.

Now Crusty tells me that I need to get the plane annualled..

I guess I will.

We're through the looking glass.

Please keep any weapons away from me.

Now Crusty tells me that I need to get the plane annualled..

I guess I will.

We're through the looking glass.

Please keep any weapons away from me.
I know these are tough times for you so please don't take this the wrong way. A gentle suggestion, you might do a little soul searching about this and try to look at strictly in terms of $$. If you aren't flying, don't have money to spend, and don't have the plane in a condition or place that it is marketable for a fair-market sale, then it might be the lowest overall cost to you if you price it to move as-is. It's summertime (at least for you) so people are looking for planes. Priced right the plane would go away tomorrow. Consider a low price (sub-$20k) and add to it what you are spending for insurance, etc and now an annual on an inactive plane. There is a good chance of digging a deeper hole the longer you hang onto it.

It's fine for a financially-secure grandpa to hang onto a plane for sentimental reasons and let it rot. I have no problems with that. But if this is a financial burden for you then you really need to take a hard assessment of how much you are going to spend and what is the likely return.

If there is no chance of a financial windfall in the near future,a sale would probably be in your best interest. The plane sounds very marketable. Good luck

I was minding my own business just weeks ago.

I don't know how I could have been paying hangar rent, and insurance, and loan payments all this time and not realizing that it was costing me money.

The first call told me I was paying hangar rent and the plane was dirty, the tires are flat, and it hasn't been flown.

Crusty called and told me that I was paying hangar rent and insurance, and told me how much that amounts to per year, and the plane is likely worthless because the plane was dirty, the tires are flat and it hasn't been flown, ...and I guess airplanes forget how to fly after a while or something.

Now you tell me I've been paying hangar rent and insurance.

Wow. I never realized. Good thing all you pals rescued me.

Last edited:
I was minding my own business just weeks ago.

I don't know how I could have been paying hangar rent, and insurance, and loan payments all this time and not realizing that it was costing me money.

The first call told me I was paying hangar rent and the plane hasn't been flown.

Crusty called and told me that I was paying hangar rent and insurance, and the plane is likely worthless because it hasn't been flown, ...and I guess airplanes forget how to fly after a while or something.

Now you tell me I've been paying hangar rent and insurance.

Wow. I never realized. Good thing all you pals rescued me.

That was beautiful!

I love you, Mike, like a brother. :yes:

Piling on. It's what puts the P and O in POA. :(

Hope it all works out for you, Mike.

We've talked.

I'm in damnnearWisconisn and they're in damnnearIndiana. 60 miles north to south, although Grant comes about halfway north for work.
Yeah, the distance is too far to be practical, though if you aren't actually flying her anyway, we could re-hangar her down by us.

Well, I know why I got the call. Business at the airport is slow and they wanted my business.

So I fell for it.

I'm getting the plane annualled.

I'm blowing more money, but I figure I deserve to live while I'm still alive.

I'll get back in the air and look for another airport. :wink2:

Annual in progress.

I saw my buddy stripped down.

NO big problems. The worst was a nest in the airbox, a hole in the carb heat duct and a cracked brake fitting. The carck couldn't have been there when I landed it because I did not end up in a ditch.

Normal stuff, replace the ELT battery. Some ADs.

I'm going to get a prop balancing when I can arrange it.

I know a happy Piper that would like another Daddy.

Back