Who Do We Like for Insurance (June 2014)

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
Who is the current fave company to contact for hull and liability insurance on a single engine aero plane ?

Uhh.... Asking for a friend... ;-)

I've been going through AOPA, they just provided me with two quotes yesterday in fact. One was $1125 and the other was $725 I believe..went with the cheaper offer as they were practically identical coverages. I think I have about 150 hours in my retract for what it's worth.

Very pleased with Hardy. They seem nice, inexpensive, and didn't need us to jump through as many hoops (x hours of this and that before being covered) than some others.

I am aware of 2 others using them that are also pleased.

I'm with Avemco,and very happy with coverage.

Went through AOPA they brokered the best deal I could find

Yeah -- let your broker do all the research. Mine is Norris Hibbler at Aircraft & Marine in Vancouver WA -- and has been for last 20 years, too.

I think it would be useful for the folks reporting their premiums to also mention their hull and liability damage.

Annually (for 2 pilots / 1 Plane):
Socata TB9 valued at $45,000
Liability: $276.00
Hull: $574.00

Liability limit per passenger shall not exceed $100,000
Bodily injury, property damage including passengers (per occurrence): Edit:$1,000,000.00

Last edited:

Bodily injury, property damage including passengers (per occurrence): $1,000,000,000

$1,000,000,000 :yikes:, do they do life insurance too?

$1,000,000,000 :yikes:, do they do life insurance too?

What are billion dollar policies not the norm?
oops, sorry, my fingers had too much momentum hitting the zeros.
:D

Last edited:
Cessna 150 valued at $20,000

Liability-$240
Hull-$436

Single limit bodily injury and property damage including passengers-
Each occurance-$1,000,000
Each passengar-$100,000

Medical Expenses-$10,000 each person

I just got a new policy on my Archer...

72k hull, standard liabilities.

Best was through Global Aerospace at $849. Closest quote was at $900 and as high as $1200.

I did the whole hunt and shop all the companies. Falcon, AOPA, etc.... Avemco was by far the highest.

I say the same.... Get a broker and let them find it for you.

I use Justin Wulf with aircraft and Marine. He will shop around to get you the best coverage at the best rate.

Thanks for all the replies.

I emailed several of the above names about starting the process. Hardy was by far the fastest in contacting me and getting it started.

They claim to represent 14 issuers and shopped my quote to 9-10 of them. Hardy's link is:
Hardy Aviation Insurance and I worked thru Joyce.

The range of prices was pretty astounding, from $700 to $1600. (As a note, USAIG was by far the most expensive at the top end of the range.) I did not shop Avemco, but previously had a quote in the $1400 range.

I am now trying to get copies of the coverages to make sure there isnt a difference in the policies that I am interested in.

As a side note, I read an old thread on another forum that said when you go the Broker route, the first broker that shops your policy results in the underwriters locking out the other brokers. Not sure if this is true, but would kind of make sense if all the brokers are shopping the same 10 companies.

A rumoured work around is to use a generic N-number, ie... just make and model, and get the quotes from that.

With the quick service from Hardy, and the much lower than expected prices, I am content at not spending any more effort on this task.

Interestingly enough, I will now pay less in insurance as an owner than I did on Renter's Insurance.

Thanks again to all for sharing the information.

Socata TB9 valued at $45,000

Bodily injury, property damage including passengers (per occurrence): Edit:$1,000,000.00

AOPA:
Socata TB9 valued at $39,000
Combined Liability & Hull: $615
Same coverages listed above, other than the hull value.

I probably have more total time than SixPapaCharlie, but was short on recent experience so my rates went up from $485 a year to $615.
I'm a CSEL & Instrument with just under 500 hours, but probably reported 20 or so hours in the last year for recent experience.

Jim

Last edited:
Another vote for Hardy! Easy for me, they are in my back yard.

Back