KING KLX 135A Advice

etemplet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
etemplet
Well this unit is in my new to me aircraft a C-150 Aerobat. :D I doubt it has been updated in quite a while and I am trying to determine if an update to the software would be cost effective decision. The unit is coupled to my NAV so I like having that system.

I also have Foreflight/GPS and Ipad. I am wondering of purchasing the Stratus II would not be a simpler better alternative to the upgrade.

I did not purchase the plane for long cross-country flights but I want to use it for my Instrument Proficiency and Perhaps obtaining my Instrument Rating and general fun flying. I'd love to have a 430 but I am not ready for that expense at present.

Advice would be appreciated.

Your Foreflight unit is SO much more capable than the 135 unit. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the money on the 135.

The Foreflight should be fine even without the stratus.

Thanks !! Very helpful information.

While I like my KLX 135A in my plane for what it does, it's not even an IFR GPS, just a VFR GPS/Com and as such, doesn't really benefit you in the instrument training. It is a very good radio set and is trouble free (unless you reverse the polarity of your battery connections and have to change a $135 fuse)! I've done a considerable amount of cross-country with the unit and as I said it's relatively capable but I was able to eclipse it's GPS functions with a $139 Flightmaster program which turned my Palm Treo into the equivalent of of a Garmin 296.

I was going to suggest swapping out the 135 for a KLN-89 to get the IFR capabilities of an older reasonably priced but just checked specs and the tray is slightly different : thought you might be able to do a reasonably priced IFR upgrade for training purpose via ebay and A&P. While I agree that the Foreflight and Stratus really shine in their portable category and will probably be what you want to use most you need a panel mount "ifr GPS" to meet the training and en-route legal requirements for getting your rating. Because the KLN-89 is an older model it may still be the cheapest way to make your bird ifr legal.
Good luck and don't pour much money into the 135 as the investment in the database won't do anything compared to your foreflight.

Thanks so much for the response. Very helpful. I was planning on a 430 (used of course) but not right away. Are there some decent IFR GPSs that are less than the 430 ? I am wary that ADS-B is coming so.... if I spend too much, I may as well go all the way. LOL

Back