My checkride story

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
I took my Private Pilot checkride on Thursday. I learned a ton and actually enjoyed the day. The DPE was fantastic...tough, thorough but fair.

The oral lasted about 2 hours. That part didn't make me nervous. I was prepared and we just had a conversation about flying. She was really good at distinguishing between the book answers and practical airmanship. It went well. We broke for lunch and it was time to fly.

After the preflight work and discussion about the plane, we started. The first task was the performance takeoffs and landings. They weren't perfect, but were within PTS. I let my crosswind correction slip a bit on my soft-field landing. Not bad, but I missed the centerline. She liked to see a tight pattern, so it was a bit different than my instructor. It prompted some good discussion.

Next, we departed on the planned cross country. After hitting the first couple of check points, we diverted to an alternate airport. So far, I'm feeling good.

On the way, we did steep turns. The cumulus clouds were building and it was pretty bumpy at 2,500'. The turns were some of my worst in a while. But, still within PTS. On to slow flight but frustrated with my performance.

This is where she really started testing me. I was taught to do slow flight ~10 kts above the dirty stall speed. She wanted to see the stall light on the Cherokee steadily lit throughout the maneuvers, per PTS. It was a good test. And I was literally sweating by the end of it.

Stalls were straightforward. So we started the instrument and unusual attitude recovery section. The way she did these were really illustrative of the risks of VFR into IMC. Without giving her methods away, she gave me a full test and further opened my eyes to those risks!

After taking the foggles off, it was time to head back. Maybe I can relax a little. Crap, my engine just blew at 2,000' AGL. Looking around, there's a nice pasture with a strip mowed into it about 2 mi away. Best glide, make for the strip and go through the checklists. Set up the descent, turn base and final...just a tad high, but the flaps should take care of it. At this point, she says, "I normally tell students to go around at this point, but you've set this up perfectly. Great judgment...put this thing on the grass!" So, I did. Another soft-field landing, takeoff and great confidence boost for a soon-to-be pilot!

We went back to home airport. Did the go-around, slip to landing, etc. Then, after one of the landings, she says exit at Golf and congratulations!

It was a really fun day, albeit occasionally stressful. I'll probably go train with her more. I learned a ton and enjoyed talking with her. If anyone needs a DPE recommendation in the Dallas area, I'd be happy to suggest Carol Walker. Don't expect an easy day. But if you want a complete and fair test, she's exactly who you need.

Congrats! Now go get your Instrument Rating - don't be like me and wait 25 yrs before going after it.

Definitely following up with the instrument. But I'm probably going to finish up the tailwheel endorsement first.

Wait, she had you land in the grass?

I'm assuming it was an actual (private?) airport with a grass runway. I'm also assuming she was familiar with the runway conditions. Cool thing to do on a check ride, particularly if you've never done it before.

OP.... Cool write up. Technically DPEs aren't suppose to teach on check rides, but it's unavoidable that you wouldn't learn anything. For one, DPEs are instructors so teaching is what they do, and secondly, DPEs are trying to find the limit of your expertise. When you get to the edges of your knowledge or skills, you're going to learn.

That's the best feeling to finish up a check ride feeling like you've been challenged, and came out a better (and certificated!) pilot then you did going in. Good luck and enjoy the license to continue learning...

I'm assuming it was an actual (private?) airport with a grass runway. I'm also assuming she was familiar with the runway conditions. Cool thing to do on a check ride, particularly if you've never done it before.

OP.... Cool write up. Technically DPEs aren't suppose to teach on check rides, but it's unavoidable that you wouldn't learn anything. For one, DPEs are instructors so teaching is what they do, and secondly, DPEs are trying to find the limit of your expertise. When you get to the edges of your knowledge or skills, you're going to learn.

That's the best feeling to finish up a check ride feeling like you've been challenged, and came out a better (and certificated!) pilot then you did going in. Good luck and enjoy the license to continue learning...

Yea, i've always wanted to land in the grass, havent yet. But doing it on a checkride doesn't seem like its a good idea. Glad you were able to nail it, but i'd of explained that I wasnt comfortable doing my first landing on the grass strip on my checkride.

Props buddy.

Yea, i've always wanted to land in the grass, havent yet.

Go to Cedar Mills for brunch some weekend. Really nice grass strip and Pelicans Landing is a good eatery.

Last edited:
It was a rough grass strip and she was very familiar with it. I also had some grass landings under my belt, so I was comfortable with it. It was all good.

Go to Cedar Mills for brunch some weekend. Really nice grass strip and Pelicans Landing is a good eatery.

+1

That is a fun landing.
Takeoff is a little heart pounding for me. My bird uses a lot of that runway.

Yea, i've always wanted to land in the grass, havent yet. But doing it on a checkride doesn't seem like its a good idea. Glad you were able to nail it, but i'd of explained that I wasnt comfortable doing my first landing on the grass strip on my checkride.
Landing on grass is NBD, and there are plenty of places around here where you can try it out. I'm rather surprised there are CFIs who let students make it all the way to private without real grass landings, but take up an experienced friend and do some. You wouldn't want your first to be in a real emergency...

Back