North American P-51 Mustang..... What A Day!

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I had the honor of accompanying the owner of a 1947 North American P-51 Mustang to fly over 2 towns in celebration of Memorial Day. I say honor because the P-51 is my dream plane, number #1 on the Geico list of aircraft ever built.

We launched at 10:00 to Hebron, NE. While en-route the pilot taught me how to roll "Barbra Jean" (named after his late wife), but that was after going through a few stalls. What an amazing bird!

The rolls were straight forward as in pulling up the nose 20 degrees after hitting 245 knots. Roll rate was pretty slow, but we were going fast! I rolled it twice left and twice right. Each roll was better than the last.

We hit Hebron exactly at 10:15 as planned and the people enjoyed the "victory roll" as we departed the area. :yes:

Next was Sidney, Iowa, 75nm north east where we over flew a cemetery where a bunch of people had gathered for a Memorial Day service. Cruise speed was 230 knots because we were early. The "victory roll" was well received and fun!

Back to KNLK where the tower requested a fly by. :eek: The owner said that was not uncommon. :lol:

It was an amazing day flying an amazing aircraft. 1,510 HP, Service Ceiling 41,000', Speed at 25,000' 450 mph. 7,150 pounds empty, Max weight 11,600. Fuel Burn 50 GPH take off and max power, 35 GPH cruise.

What a day!

P-51-_Hangar__Medium_.jpg

P-51_Left__Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
You are one lucky booger! I had a standing invitation to a ride in Eddie's Yak and missed the opportunity before it became moot recently. Glad you got this one!

Good on ya as they say.

Last edited:
You suck!!

hahaha

;)

I thought the fuel burn would be higher than that?

A flight you will never forget,boy am I jealous

It's out and about again! Glad you got such a great opportunity. The sounds of airplanes are great but there's nothing in Lincoln that sounds better than that P-51. I think he owns a hyperbipe, a helicopter and numerous other airplanes.

Lucky dog! I'd donate a testicle for a chance to grab the stick in a Mustang.

:goofy:
It's out and about again! Glad you got such a great opportunity. The sounds of airplanes are great but there's nothing in Lincoln that sounds better than that P-51. I think he owns a hyperbipe, a helicopter and numerous other airplanes.

"Barbara Jean" was in rare form yesterday. What a great day to fly!

It was a nice, day. I even made it out and up to 14,500 without pants.

I was near Crete climbing through 13,000 when I heard "jumpers away at 10k" but I couldn't spot them.

Nor did I recognize any P51 traffic :(.

Last edited:
Awesome!! We all hate you!! ;)
Might want to check that fuel burn, I think you are missing a digit on the takeoff fuel flow!:eek: If a 421 with a total of 750 HP, burns 60+GPH on takeoff, I imagine a 1500 HP Merlin will use more than 50 GPH. :D Or is that the number you are telling Mrs Geico, so she'll let you get one. :D

Well done, an amazing experience I'm sure. I suspect those fuel flows are...way low.

I did get some Flybaby flying in yesterday, nice day to fly around open cockpit and enjoy the sun.

I had the honor of accompanying the owner of a 1947 North American P-51 Mustang to fly over 2 towns in celebration of Memorial Day. I say honor because the P-51 is my dream plane, number #1 on the Geico list of aircraft ever built.

We launched at 10:00 to Hebron, NE. While en-route the pilot taught me how to roll "Barbra Jean" (named after his late wife), but that was after going through a few stalls. What an amazing bird!

The rolls were straight forward as in pulling up the nose 20 degrees after hitting 245 knots. Roll rate was pretty slow, but we were going fast! I rolled it twice left and twice right. Each roll was better than the last.

We hit Hebron exactly at 10:15 as planned and the people enjoyed the "victory roll" as we departed the area. :yes:

Next was Sidney, Iowa, 75nm north east where we over flew a cemetery where a bunch of people had gathered for a Memorial Day service. Cruise speed was 230 knots because we were early. The "victory roll" was well received and fun!

Back to KNLK where the tower requested a fly by. :eek: The owner said that was not uncommon. :lol:

It was an amazing day flying an amazing aircraft. 1,510 HP, Service Ceiling 41,000', Speed at 25,000' 450 mph. 7,150 pounds empty, Max weight 11,600. Fuel Burn 50 GPH take off and max power, 35 GPH cruise.

What a day!

Did you break left or right? :D

Congrats on taking advantage of a great opportunity!

I'm envious Larry! The P-51 is also my favorite plane, besides being just an awesome plane it has significance because it was the first Model ( I think a Revell) that my father bought for me and I built with him when I was 6 years old. I vividly remember it, we lived on base at the time and he purchased two models at the BX a P-51 for me and a spitfire for my younger brother.

It was a nice, day. I even made it out and up to 14,500 without pants.

Brian didn't your butt get a little cold?:rofl:

Wonderful video! On takeoff, he just kept giving it more throttle, and more throttle, and more throttle!

Were the parachutes worn because the [war time] seats were designed for them, or just in case you needed them?

Wonderful video! On takeoff, he just kept giving it more throttle, and more throttle, and more throttle!

Were the parachutes worn because the [war time] seats were designed for them, or just in case you needed them?

When you do acro with more than one person parachutes are required, but I think the seats call for a parachute also. The P-51 was designed as a single seater. This one (and most others) have had a 85 gallon fuel tank removed and a second seat installed. They did build 2 seat trainers, but they are few and far between.

The noise on take off was deafening! The exhaust noise must bounce off the runway or prop tip noise? Something! It lasted until the plane lifted off.

Prop tip noise. 3000 RPM x 12' diameter? If I remember, the formula for velocity involves r, where r = 6' [for a 12' prop] and = 3000, a nice, large and most likely supersonic number that I'm too tired to figure the correct units on right now. My 74" diameter prop [r = 37", not 6' = 72"] at 2700 RPM is barely subsonic.

Great video!

Harry flew Barbara Jean into our "Big Kids Toy Show" in Iowa City, back in 2007ish. I've got pictures of our candy-apple-red Mustang Cobra-clone parked next to her, somewhere.

It wasn't long afterwards that he lost the engine and had to belly her in, if I am recallmembering correctly.

While he was having her repaired, he bought another P-51, just to have one to fly during the restoration process. I'm assuming you flew in the repaired/restored Mustang -- it sure looks beautiful.

Awesome, and thanks for posting video.

P-51 is on my bucket list of must get ride in.

Great video!

Harry flew Barbara Jean into our "Big Kids Toy Show" in Iowa City, back in 2007ish. I've got pictures of our candy-apple-red Mustang Cobra-clone parked next to her, somewhere.

It wasn't long afterwards that he lost the engine and had to belly her in, if I am recallmembering correctly.

While he was having her repaired, he bought another P-51, just to have one to fly during the restoration process. I'm assuming you flew in the repaired/restored Mustang -- it sure looks beautiful.

Yep! The bent up chrome prop hangs proudly on this hangar wall as a reminder. I think this is the rebuilt one.

Not the first aircraft he has banged up. You should hear the stories this 78 year old pilot tells. :eek:

Back