VFR CFI?

RampRat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RampRat
I've taken a rather unconventional approach to advancing up the list of ratings. I am a VFR commercially rated pilot and I am fully aware of the limitations that come with skipping instrument.

Regardless of the logic behind it, Are there any regulations prohibiting me from obtaining my CFI? Granted I would not be able to take students on cross countries or night flights, and thus alone could not take a student from start to finish with PPL. Is it at all doable or legal?

§61.183***Eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;

(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:

(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

(2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for—

FAR Part 61.183 says you need an instrument rating.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...93361d8a18f9dafb&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.8&rgn=div6

If you want to instruct in airplanes other than for Sport Pilot in Light Sport Aircraft, the answer is "no".
Sec. 61.183

Eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:
(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:
(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
(2) An instrument rating or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for--
(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;
(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;
(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or
(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.
Your only option for being a CFI in airplanes without holding an instrument rating on your pilot certificate is to be a CFI-Sport Pilot, which would allow you to:
...provide training and endorsements that are required for, and relate to--
(a) A student pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate;
(b) A sport pilot certificate;
(c) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating;
(d) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating;
(e) Sport pilot privileges;
(f) A flight review or operating privilege for a sport pilot;
(g) A practical test for a sport pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating;
(h) A knowledge test for a sport pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating; and
(i) A proficiency check for an additional category or class privilege for a sport pilot certificate or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating.

Any particular reason you went this route? Curious.

Start out doing the sport pilot thing,and see if you like instructing.

Not the OP but I had the opportunity to do aerial photography. Didn't need an instrument rating for that, so I got my commercial first.

Neither does Ag, skydivers or scenic flights.

Neither does Ag, skydivers or scenic flights.
Only if the scenic flight is conducted under a 91.147 LoA within 25 miles of the airport. Otherwise, it's a Part 135 operation, and per 135.243(b)(3), an IR is required for the PIC under Part 135 even for VFR operations. And I'm not sure whether any scenic flight operators will hire a pilot without an IR (think insurance), or whether a FSDO will sign a LoA for a non-135 air tour operator allowing non-IR pilots even for operations under 91.147.

I hear ya man, that instrument stuff is painfully boring. I was a helicopter CFI and later added glider CFI. Two more CFI tickets that don't need a submarine driving license. Probably have to own a flying business in the noninstrument commercial sector to make any decent money at it. There is work out there, though you will have to think for yourself to find it, no following a path for this ride. Best of luck to ya.

Not the OP but I had the opportunity to do aerial photography. Didn't need an instrument rating for that, so I got my commercial first.

The aerial guys I know frequently file to get to or from the location to be shot.... But they aren't flying 172s either

Back