I turned down a Cessna 140 for $500

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Okay, my friend needed another engine for a Cub project and found a 140 that had been hand propped without being tied, got away and ran into a field/tree/something years ago. He is buying it for the engine but asked if I wanted the fuselage/wings/etc for $500 - but that it would need considerable work (and maybe even more than we put into the restore of the 1938 Cub). At 6' 270lbs my son and I would barely fit in right now, let alone after he grows a little. To me, way to much time/effort/money for a very small plane and I would have to find a hanger to rent to wrench on her to boot.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Would've been cool to be able to say "I'm fixing up and old plane"....but I would probably still be repeating that mantra many years from now. :yikes:

Not sure what a 140 weighs without the engine. If you can't fix it you could offer a little under scrap value. Part out what you can and sell the rest for scrap. I think Aluminum scrap is about .80 cents a poundish.

Not sure what a 140 weighs without the engine. If you can't fix it you could offer a little under scrap value. Part out what you can and sell the rest for scrap. I think Aluminum scrap is about .80 cents a poundish.

Around here it is only $0.40-0.45/lb. Hardly worth the effort of cutting something up and hauling it to a meth magnet scrap dealer...

If there are any other small kids around, $500 seems a small investment for a back-yard toy they could have sat in it and made airplane noises in and pretend flying places.

In a Cessna 140 with 85 hp you and your son would be more than it could handle right now much less when he grows up unless you lost a lot of weight. With full tanks it's a dog on climb and needs an 0200 on it. Save your money and buy a Cessna 180., or diet. Your heart will thank you.

Should a bought it. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Or this...

7aseba9u.jpg

Or this...

Looks like the builder of the workbench is an expert at reusing stuff...it appears the floor of the shop is an old basketball court, reassembled in random order.

It's interesting that basketball is a huge sport in the villages, but I suppose the long winter has a lot to do with that. :yesnod:

Back