Step up to G1000 or Retrofit? Another question.

Sierra Victor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sierra Victor
So it's unanimous......the C206 is what I'm after.

Now, I've googled and searched but can't find any specifics on avionics installation prices.

Cessna re-started 206 production in 98 and in 2004 the G1000 replaced the steam gauges. To buy an '04 means paying for not only the avionics but a newer year of essentially the same airframe. What if a guy bought a low time '98-'03 206 and upgraded to a Garmin 750 and G600? I haven't ever seen an '04 listed for less than $345K while the earlier re-starts go for sub $300k.

Is it reasonable to think that the avionics upgrade on the re-start 206 would get me the same plane for less money, more or less? I'm sure the G1000 offers more than the upgrade but is it really worth it?

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and for those guys pushing the Bonanza.....insurance costs (if you can find an insurer)for low-time pilot are horrendous!!

In most cases I would recommend getting an older airframe in good condition, gutting the interior and panel and doing it like you want. Take something like a Bonanza or 310 and you can get a great deal.
206, maybe not so much but you would have to run the numbers as the 206 is in such demand that there is a premium on the used market for good airframes. It's not to say a Bonanza or 310 is a worse airplane (I love them both), just that the 206 is in demand for its handling and load carrying capability.

I added a 750,650, dual remote transponders, remote audio panel, and a GDL 69A for weather and radio, along with a G-600 to my Conquest. The price is of course higher with a pressurized airplane, but it was north of $100K.:eek: it really depends on what you want vs what you need, or want really bad! :D
A friend just bought a 2007 172 with G1000, he did a lot of research and decided it wasn't worth it for him to buy older and retrofit.:D
Keep in mind there is a big difference between G-1000 airplanes, WAAS and the GFC 700 autopilot, introduced in 2007 (?) are in much higher demand.;)
If you want to end up with a glass cockpit, you'll be better off buying it already done, whether it's an older or newer one. :D

Last edited:
The gfc-700 autopilot with the G1000 is a total game changer, especially for single pilot operations. Waas and synthetic vision is icing on the cake.

They system is amazingly well integrated. I don't think there's any way to retrofit economically.

The gfc-700 autopilot with the G1000 is a total game changer, especially for single pilot operations. Waas and synthetic vision is icing on the cake.

They system is amazingly well integrated. I don't think there's any way to retrofit economically.

The G600 is a nice retrofit, but it isn't comparable to a G1000 system, no real comparison. :D I would have loved to have put the G1000 in my airplane, but it's close to $300K to add it to a King Air,:eek: I don't think it's even available for a Conquest. :D

Back