Spot 2

Recently reported on Aviation News... Bryan's dad cleans out all of the gagetry from N546PC and regains 187lbs of useful load from the co-owned Tampico TB-9.

You mean Bryan actually got out of the plane? <grin>

Please remind me do you need to buy an annual subscription with the Spot?

Is there a function that does not need a subscription?

The emergency call button is supposed to work without a subscription.

Tracking and "I'm okay" require payment.

At least that's what the paperwork said which came with the SPOT when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago.

'Pretty sure that a $99 sub is required for SOS emergency. Tracking is extra, as is rescue insurance.

No subscription no functionality for SPOT. Contrast with ACR and other PLB products which have basic emergency functionality inherent in the device but have subscription services for additional bells and whistles like breadcrumb and "I'm ok" features.

What PLB has bread-crumb tracking? The messaging and testing features of the PLB have been panned by most users, and since they compromise battery life significantly, would seem to undermine the concept of a PLB's "must work" mission.

Short Summary...

PLB = $50/year for battery replacements, best in emergency, hope you never have to use it.

Spot $100/year +$10 for batterys, Send Ok or Help Messages, send 911 Message. Probably will work but not quite as robust in emergency as PLB.

Spot $150/year+10 for battery's , adds tracking, so others can verify your ok, or get an area to start looking you if spot is does not survive crash.
Example, Spouse sees plane has crashed on the news, goes to Spot Site to verify you are still flying and that it is not you.

You Decide which has the most value for your situation. Both gives you the most capability but also at the most cost.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

You mean Bryan actually got out of the plane? <grin>

HAHA
I flew off and on from 9:30 - 7 today.
First time I recall wanting to be done.

I am picking up the SPOT Gen3 tomorrow morning.
Dad's bday is Saturday and he is crazy for gadgets. He has mentioned a lot lately that he wanted to be able to track everything on flight aware.

I called SPOT and they gave me all the details. Looks like a solid product.

Edit: will refrain from commenting on a product someone has for sale.

Up_Arrow_Icon.png
Yields the same result as commenting.
Less than ideal experience would be surmised by anyone seeing that.

Back