Finished my 20 year old BFR

Stryker1112

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stryker
Well, I got my BFR sign off today, after flying the last time in 1993. Took about 5 hours in the plane to feel comfortable, mainly to reacquire sight pictures during different landings. I was surprised I could still fly staright and level and do pretty good turn to headings etc. I trained at a towered airport under a Bravo airspace so radio work was easy for me.

Of course I still need to play with the GPS more (didnt exist when I last flew) and one of the planes has this thing called a G1000.

Awesome congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hoping to finish in the next week or two myself.

Congrats,now your back ,go out and fly.

Why to go! Did you have to fly PTS standards on everything to get signed off.

The first flight we did all the stalls, slow flight, and steep turns. I did well on all but my steep turns I lost some altitude but was able to nail them next flight.
We didn't do every PTS test like soft field takeoff but went over all the procedures. Also the airfield is 3000 feet and 40' wide asphalt with trees at either end, so there isnt a lot of wiggle room, especially with the 10-15 kt crosswinds we had every time I went up. We did a whole flight of emergencies and power off landings. We flew in a lot of busy airspace so we both were able to see I could climb, descend, turn to headings and speed up/slow down and hit the numbers.
In addition, I did have my complex and tail wheel, but I'm not confident with either so even though my BFR is done I'm going to go up soon and basically redo complex/high performance and also my tailwheel check-off

I still have a ways to go to feel great about my flying, but like its always said, I'm good to go out and learn on my own now without substantial risk of killing myself

Just remember, we're all counting on you!

My last flight was in 1995, then 2 years ago got back on the horse and loved every minute of it. The horse in my case is a Mooney I purchased within a couple of months of getting my BFR. Just had another BFR last Sunday and looking forward to lots more flying in the years ahead. Congratulations and I hope it is as joyful experience as it has been for me.

Yea Stryker you will. Congrats on getting it done very little hours.
Maybe I'm just a slow learner or something. I haven't flown in 10 years and at 8.5hrs back into it and still haven't been signed off.

Yea Stryker you will. Congrats on getting it done very little hours.
Maybe I'm just a slow learner or something. I haven't flown in 10 years and at 8.5hrs back into it and still haven't been signed off.

The key is not being in a rush and relaxing.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast

And 8.5 still isnt a lot of hours. I still have to redo my Complex/High Performance and my Tailwheel yet. Just relax, you will have it in another couple hours

Great job. I had the same length gap. Took me longer than you.

Back